mtbr member
    Nov 2010

"Fixation" on NetFlix

Last night watched "Fixation" on NetFlix. Documentary about fixed geared bikes. It was focused on San Fran and LA riding scene (non-mt bikiking) Very interesting.

also saw "Pedal Driven" a week or so back. Documentry on the mt bike/USFS relationship from poached trails to legal building of them.

Just Ride
    Yep, I've also watched both docs. Pretty interesting stuff. Thing I didn't understand from watching fixation is how a smoker can not only ride fixed, but race across the city and be competitive?

I'm an ex smoker for a little over 5 years now and my lungs still can't handle MTB very well!
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I just built a Surly Steamy fixed gear so will have to check out those movies.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Awesome. I didn't see Pedal Driven on there when I've searched for mountain biking stuff in the past. Are there any other cool mountain biking videos that don't come up when you search for "mountain biking" on Netflix? I only come up with Red Bull and Way Back Home.

Quote Originally Posted by Cormac View Post
    Yep, I've also watched both docs. Pretty interesting stuff. Thing I didn't understand from watching fixation is how a smoker can not only ride fixed, but race across the city and be competitive?

I'm an ex smoker for a little over 5 years now and my lungs still can't handle MTB very well!
    I can't explain it, but I smoke(though more casually and not a pack/day type smoker like many) and bike just fine and jog a couple miles a couple times/week. I've got another friend who smokes a pack/day and does intense MMA training 3/week and MTBs usually once a week or so. Most people I know who aren't smokers can't ride a bike a few miles without getting tired or jog a mile without acting like they're about to die. I'm obviously not saying the smoking helps me, but just that it always seemed to me that it's based more on the individual than smoking or not(though of course smoking does hold you back some from where you'd be without smoking).

Just Ride
    I'm one of those who can't do much without sounding like I'm about to die. Running or riding. It sucks. But I still manage to have fun with it. I just gotta stop more than the average human. Guess I'm just really, really out of shape? Only a little over 200, but now I've began to cut soda out of my diet which better make a huge difference in my weight!
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    The soda thing is a good one. My friend in high school lost something crazy like 50lbs just from ditching soda! He was Really over weight and I think he used to drink of ton of it, though, so your results may vary. I'm sure if you stick with the biking and eat Fairly healthy(because totally healthy sucks), you'll get to where you just pant at the top of the hill like a regular in-shape human. And if you don't, at least you get to MTB along the way!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Coming from a fixed gear roadie, that fixation movie was ultra corny. But I'm not into tight pants, no brakes, or crotch over the stem skids, so.....whatever.