mtbr member

fix/free with disk

I was reading all about the tomicog and it started my mind going. Has anyone attempted a fixed / free flip flop hub with a disk brake next to the fixed cog. It looks like it could be feasible if the chainline was moved out a bit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I've read that question a lot.

I do not think it'll work.

1: The disk will get soiled from chain lube

2: and the bolts need to be very long to clear the disk and a cog with chain. When they are that long chances are that they will bend and destroy the hub/cog/disk in the process.

mtbr member
    If you have to take the wheel off to flip flop the hub it only takes 5 more minutes to remove the disk and fit the tomicog (or vice-versa).

You're trying to fix a problem which doesn't exist IMO.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by driver bob
    If you have to take the wheel off to flip flop the hub it only takes 5 more minutes to remove the disk and fit the tomicog (or vice-versa).

You're trying to fix a problem which doesn't exist IMO.
    I agree, especially since mountain bike tires are so much more directional than road bike tires, so I am always going to take the few minutes to change that as well

I always thought my Exiwolf was really slow. That was until I installed a Tomicog and flipped the wheel without flipping the tire. I felt like I was dragging my wheel though sand just riding on hardpack!

mtbr member

Tried a rear brake..

My preference is no rear brake cause it tends to mess up my control and feel of decelerating the wheel. I seemed to never get the fluidity of using the back brake along with the slowing rpm of the pedals and wheel. It just felt kinda "jerky" and messed up my flow.
    I do like my front brake alot....

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudnut
    I was reading all about the tomicog and it started my mind going. Has anyone attempted a fixed / free flip flop hub with a disk brake next to the fixed cog. It looks like it could be feasible if the chainline was moved out a bit.
    I think Drevil stated that he tried that some time ago. I cannot find the post, maybe he will weigh in.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie