Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    one chain loop

Fish's Pink Fisher

This is my current project, a 1989 Fisher Celerity which I got for free, no, not from the dumpster. It has heavy Exage LX components with Biopace rings. At first, I wasn't so sure if I want to continue on with this conversion or just post it back again online for free.

It was the PINK color that is turning me off but after thinking more about it, I decided that have to do this. I know it will take larger than average balls to ride this bike. Thirty minutes of elbow grease showed the true beauty of this 21 year old gal.

Back then, Gary introduced his Evolution line of parts, which pretty much killed me. The steerer tube is 1 1/4 oversize, bigger than the most normal 1 1/8". No chance of replacing the forks, but MIGHT be able to run a 1 1/8 stem if I can find the right converter.

Hopefully I can finish this one with least amount of money involved and try the Biopace rings with magic gear (fingers crossed). Pretty stoked for this pretty ugly bike.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Mmm, not sure if you can find a magic gear with the biopace as it changes the # of teeth on your chain depending on where the cranks are at... Unless you run a tensioner.

Isn't she a little chunky? She will make you stronger in whatever you do, I'm sure of it.

mtbr member
    it should not be too hard to get a non-Biopace ring for that crank. everything else on that bike should be easy. does it have a freewheel or a freehub on the rear wheel?

one chain loop
    fortunately it is a freehub. i have few ss rings for this but really wanted to know what is the fuss about elliptical rings such as rotor rings. i saw a fixie conversion with biopace and hopefully i can recreate one too.

meatier showers
    Pink was the new black back then. Biopace will work without a sprung tensioner... you have the same chance of a magic gear working whether the ring is Bio or round.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

Way
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Back then, Gary introduced his Evolution line of parts, which pretty much killed me. The steerer tube is 1 1/4 oversize, bigger than the most normal 1 1/8". No chance of replacing the forks, but MIGHT be able to run a 1 1/8 stem if I can find the right converter.
    That will be a cool SS once it's set up.
    I have the same steering tube dilemma here. I'd like to convert a Yeti Ultimate that has a 1 1/4" steering tube. Is this the part you need?
    Nitto Mt Column Threadless Converter

If you want to run a different fork you can get a Devolution headset from Chris King.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    wowsers, that is cool!

mtbr member
    That's a nice frame. Like the pink.
    Get some new cyclocross cantis on it, should be good.

one chain loop

Finally Done!

Between busy work and family, I finally finished this cheap conversion. Running magic with 36:15 gearing on a Biopace chainring! The chain tension varies but insignificant. Eventually will be changed to drop bars and probably paint the fork black.

I'd rather be riding
    Quote Originally Posted by fishcreek
    Between busy work and family, I finally finished this cheap conversion. Running magic with 36:15 gearing on a Biopace chainring! The chain tension varies but insignificant. Eventually will be changed to drop bars and probably paint the fork black.

I like it! digging the white tires

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    :
    Quote Originally Posted by zippinveedub
    I like it! digging the white tires

Dive Bomber
    Keep the fork pink.

mtbr member

Stinky Pinky is where it's @

Quote Originally Posted by jackspade
    Keep the fork pink.
    +1

Ovaries on the Outside
    Ah! It is a Valentine's Day bike!

I really, really like the bike. I absolutely support keeping it pink. I have a pair of pink risers that would clash perfectly with that paint....

Get the CK Devolution in pink (if you can). I really like your builds.

one chain loop
    Thanks guys, yes I decided to keep the fork the way it is. The CK Devolution is a nice add-on but that headset alone will cost more than the bike itself plus a new fork. Actually the saddle on the bike is the most expensive part of this build LOL.

Its a comfortable bike to ride especially with the riser bars, the stem length and angle is asking for drop bars though. Something about this bike puts a smile on my face whenever I see it, probably because most of the bikes I kept are black.

There is a thread about JB welding a cassette hub, actually I searched pretty much every bike forums about it and of course there are lots of opinions, success and failure about it. I would give it a shot on this one and if it ever succeed, the rear brakes and mounts will go bye-bye.

Suffering Mightily
    Pretty sweet. Now if you can run across some old Dirt Drops on eBay...
    Without freedom of choice, there is no creativity. Without creativity, there is no life. The body dies.

one chain loop

no dirt drops

tried track bars instead, measuring up, feels alright. about the brakes.. still to be decided.

mtbr member
    Wow I really like that

mtbr member
    The tarck bar totally ruins it for me. I can't even imagine riding with what looks like 10 inches of drop from the saddle height to the grip area.

Dive Bomber
    Looks great!

Since it's cantis I think it would work okay with roadbike levers.

It would look awesome if the crank is alu color with steel toe clips.

up n over
    Nov 2010
    Dirt drops, or flipped mustache bar..
    If u go fixie ill send u some of my little sister's jeans..
    Dont cut up the frame! Keep the brakes and RIDE the beeeotch!
    "my cat's breath smells like catfood."
    -ralph wiggum

one chain loop

running brakeless

rear wheel is free from lbs's recycle bin, just need minor truing and is good to go, jb welding it tomorrow. front wheel from local classifieds, way stronger than the stock araya's. pictured with track bars, not too shabby really, but can easily switched to risers if needed.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Man, that is a bit of a reach, but i've noticed that lots of people are more limber than meself, so...

I'd past law on running a front brake with fixed gears. I see it fairly regularly in my area and I've seen a lot of dangerous situations that would have been avoided fairly easily with a front brake. It isn't something that you can avoid with skill development- it is physics. something like 70% of your stopping power comes from the front end braking and that cannot be replicated with skip stopping, end of story. Not to mention I've broken and thrown chains several times on road and off and one of those circumstances would have had me over the railing of a bridge....

metrotuned WoS
    @fishcreek, right on, way to blind them! I give you credit for rockin' out with your co(k out!

@umarth, check it out.
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout

one chain loop
    thanks illnacord, actually, i did this small mountain on slicks too. freewheel though and with brakes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast