destructionismyobjective

First time on my new ss rigid ('11 8500)

So I finally got out on the trail today with my new build. It been built for like a month now but I havent had a chance to ride it.

Frame: 2011 trek 8500 euro
    Fork: Origin8 pro lever 2 carbon
    Bars:bontrager rxl carbon
    Stem:bontrager rl
    Seatpost: bontrager rxl carbon
    Saddle: bontrager race lite
    Brakes: bb5 with fr5 levers
    Wheels: deore hubs, mavic rims... got some dt swiss m1800s goin on this week
    Tires:Bontrager xr1 exp 2.4 @ 18psi
    Crank:deore
    Gearing 32:16
    Weight: 22lbs 6 oz

Coming off a giant trance this is obviously a whole new feel for me... in a good way. This bike climbs like a goat! It will smite massive climbs with ease. I felt faster on this bike than I do on my trance(given this is MI so its true xc land) Suprisingly these bb5s will throw me over the bars with just 1 finger pull... i dont know if its the levers that make them work so well or if they just really got the bb5s dialed? The fork obviously having never ridden a rigid was rough.. still learning its limits in the corners and how to decend(fast) over rough stuff but it has enough flex to soften the ride some.

Overall I love the bike! I now understand why ssers can climb so fast.. cause you dont really have a choice lol! Bike is light and flikable, easily hopped over bigger obstacles and as long as you choose your lines wisely its very fast pretty much everywhere. Getting used to going fast over the rough... Kinda reminds me of motox.. let the bike buck around underneith you and just relax and aim. Found using the front brake while turning is a big nono.. makes you want to wash unlike how you can use it on a suspension fork and it actually seems to make you hook better. It also pumps really well off rollers and berms unlke the full squish bike. Rode 20 miles on a pretty tame trail today... Gona do 30 tomorrow on one of the most brutal local trails. Has some nasty long rooty steep climbs, lots of sketch everywhere on the trail... more of a fs or 29 type trail but im goin for it.

Damn Fool
    Jul 2010

Nice!

Imma be that dood...... Pics or it didn't happen

Where is this 30 mile trail with nasty climbs? I live 20 short minutes from Royal Oak and I've been training for dirty centuries for a couple years now. I would love to find some nasty, long, and somewhat technical uphills. Where is this magical trail you speak of? Please..... I'll bring beer!

Enjoy the ride!
    It's not about being better than others, it's about getting the best out of myself.

destructionismyobjective
    Well its not that nasty just plra.. but i figure 3 laps on a ss rigid will end up being pretty nasty.. That trails my stomping ground since its only like 1/2 hour out and as far as im concerned the best trail around... Always ride it on the couch(trance) wich eats it up pretty well. It was tree farm i rode today..

Tomorrow is my 30th bday so I figured 30 miles at pontiac lake would be a good present to myself.

Heres a pic of the ride... no trail pics.. not one to really stop on the trail for anything.. except when i gotta pic myself up off the ground lol! BIke looks official now that its got a nice coat of dirt/dust on her.

mtbr member
    Very nice! Sounds and looks like a super ride. Enjoy it, and prepare to use it a lot more than the trance.

destructionismyobjective
    So plra is a little much on this bike... hard to carry momentum due to the fact all the usually fast decents you can use to carry momentum into the climbs with were super whooped out... definetly a trance type trail.. did however complete my 30 miles there.. walked 1/2 to 1/4 on only one climb there i call the death climb but that was it. Got a huge blister on the palm of my left hand through my gel gloves as result of bucking over the roughness. Still love the bike... just wont ride it on that trail again. Luckily there are alot of more ss rigid friendly trails around than hardcore like that one.

Will be taking a day or 2 off now unless this blister magically dissapears overnight.. bout the size of a dime on the outside of my palm. Its painfull enough as it is I can only imagine how good it would feel if I rode and ripped the sucker open lol!

Also got my dt swiss m1800 wheels installed today.. hard to tell in the picture but they're sick. The lettering is a white M gold 1800 on a black wheel matches the bike PERFECT!

Damn Fool
    Jul 2010
    Wait.... Pontiac Lake is too much for a rigid? I just rode it on my rigid bike a couple days ago and thought it was awesome ( at night nonetheless). A few sandy spots and the bumps from idiots that don't know how to brake, but nothing too terrible.

It might be that I'm slow enough that I didn't run into the issues you did, but there's a good chance its that you haven't had the time to develop the skills needed to see the smooth line.

Fwiw, your gear ratio might be a little stiff for that trail. I've found a 32:18 to be just about perfect there, especially when I was starting as a new SS rider.

PS sweet lookin wheels
    It's not about being better than others, it's about getting the best out of myself.

destructionismyobjective
    Its not toooo much, I mean I did 3 laps my first time riding it on a rigid ss. It isnt what id call fun though... unless you find decending really slow to be fun wich I dont. Much rather just haul the mail through there on the trance.

Or you could show me the magic line over all the rookie braking bump decents lol!
    I dont get it. On the trance I dont brake on any of the decents... I think people around here are scared of speed or dont understand the apparent rocket science behind carrying momentum.

32-16 was good I thougt. I didnt have to walk cause I ran out of steam it was cause I ran out of traction.. Im comfortable on it after pushin a 48-16/15 on the track/ street all summer. Actually felt like i coulda pushed a bigger gear at tree farm.. albiet that trail is pretty flat.

Now I gotta decide what trail to ride thursday hhhmmmm?