mtbr member
    Feb 2006

First SS ride, with pics.

I've just come home from my first real ride after converting my geared Giant XTC to a single speed and I'm pretty confident I'm not going back to gears. It was a lot of fun, the simplicity of the drivetrain makes for a very interesting ride. With nothing to think about except the trail riding becomes a lot more enjoyable in my opinion. And while the ride was fun, it did kick my ass. Not only am I running ss, the trail that I rode is 90% sandy (10% too rough/rocky for my hardtail) I'm pretty sure if I ride consistently I'll be in great shape by next year. Anyway without further ado here are some pictures from the ride:

Sorry about the quality, they are taken with my phone. I should have had a camera with me, at least then I'd have a proper excuse for getting of my bike.

mtbr member
    Good for you I say. Pictures were nice - where is that? Looks like you could ride there for days and not see another soul (or car, or plane, or animal....but maybe a UFO). I moved to a SS 29er in April and haven't taken my geared bike out since. Addictive. Challenging. Simple fun. Bike looks nice!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Thanks for the comment. This is an area 15 minutes from Reykjavik, Iceland. I'm really enjoying the challenge right now, hopefully I'll be able to go for a ride this weekend.

Ovaries on the Outside
    The scenery is fantastic. I hope you enjoy SS!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    My gosh, I wish we had some places like that around here!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Congrats! Not that I'm pushing 29ers, but the larger wheels do really help in sandy situations like you describe. Also it looks like you might be a tall person.

Something to keep in mind when you decide you want a new SS...

nothing to see here
    nothin' wrong with those pics

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Thanks guys. Yeah, truthfully I've been eying a On-one scandal 29er all summer, but I just cant justify it yet. Also I'm 6'2 so the 19.5" scandal should be perfect. Alas I live in Iceland where the only brands are Trek and Giant and the prices are super inflated. Anyways more rides with pics soon hopefully.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Man... I guess I didn't pay attention in geography. There's something about those pictures + "Iceland" that just didn't seem right to my eyes! :P

nothing to see here
    Quote Originally Posted by Roasted
    Man... I guess I didn't pay attention in geography. There's something about those pictures + "Iceland" that just didn't seem right to my eyes! :P
    It's Greenland that has all the ice...rather ironic hey?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevob
    It's Greenland that has all the ice...rather ironic hey?
    I think the Vikings did that to keep people away from Iceland so that they(the vikings) could have it all to themselves, or something like that. I learned that from some show on the Discovery Channel.
    "So do me a favor. Find your bike, whatever kind of bike it is. And RIDE it." -Gary Fisher

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    That'd be a fulfilling feeling... to just be sitting on your back porch of your wooden shack in the mountains in Iceland at the age of 90, quietly laughing to yourself knowing so many people 200 years from now will be thinking "WTF??" in regards to Iceland vs Greenland.

I would die happy knowing I had a hand in so many people's confusion.