Thread: First SS ride

I'm gonna have to kill ya

First SS ride

Well kind of

I have spent the last month or two specing out a SS bike and have been refining the beasty and am almost set and ready to start buying parts, anyway I degress.

As you can imagine my friends all think I am insane and no amount of explanation will convince them. I am far from fit and they did start to put a seed of doubt in my mind so today I did a regular 30 mile ride on my 34lb FS Kone Coilair (magic link) with both front and rear shocls locked out and left her in 34:20 for the entire ride.

To put it bluntly I loved it, even carrying over twice the weight of my proposed ss bake and massive power sucking tyres, it just felt so good. It felt like running, you hit a hill and it is harder, on the flat it is easy and a bit spinney (in my feeble beginner ss gear),

Being far from the fitness level of my youth I find that with these ridiculously high (or is that low I forget) I find as soon as it gets tough I drop a gear, then another, then another and then I am spinning my nuts off in a 22:34 going nowhere and wearing myself out.

Not using the gears made me just get on with it and I was certainly no slower than i normally am, in fact once I am fitter I will be much faster as I was flying up the hills on my sudo ss

My quads are burning like never before my body also got a far greater cardio workout with all the low torque spinning on the flats and declines

I am hoping to live with a full rigid (I have ridden more miles on a rigid over the years than any other bike) but if needs must I am willing to stick some Manitou R7 MRD Absolutes Forks if I really need to

There will be a full build thread in due course but the current rough spec for my ss bike is as follows

On-one Scandal
    White Bros Fork
    KCNC, stem, bars, forks, seat clamp
    Hope gold Headset
    KCNC 200 tripple chainset with only the 32 middle ring (gold bolts)
    20t Chris King cog
    Mavic C717 on Hope gold hunbs (ss rear) a bit of bling, DT 240s would save weight but add cost as do stan 355s
    Sella Itialia SLR
    Formula oro k18 (I love the subltle styling, they almost look like cable levers) with different rotors (still deciding) to lighten the setup a bit
    Rocket Ron tyres

All in from getting weights posted all over the net she should come in at 16.4 lbs, under half the weight of my current full squish (although it will probably come in a tad more as these things tend to do)

Not bad for 1640, A lot of price hunting got it down from 1880

Once I get fitter I will start dropping the rear cog size to reduced the spinning out on flats etc, unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) here on the south coast of England the main trails are a roller coaster of ups and downs

Can't weight, I want it now, now ,now ,now The thought of going out riding the FS has just lost its appeal

Sorry for the long post just still chuffed from a hard but rewarding ride and needed to vent

banned
    once you prove it to yourself, you know.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    How much do you weight? Or are you just not in great shape as you say?

Just a thought, you might want to run a solid rim as there is no cush but the tires. That way you are not having to true them weekly.

My brother and I just embarked on this same journey and we never looked back, the SS Rig is a great set up for some quality riding. I still have my full squish that I ride on certain trails but the SS is what I ride most now and I feel much faster on it. At least on the climbing.
    I like to ride Bikes. This might be turning into an obsession, not sure?

www.cyclng.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I bought a rigid ss 29er recently. Haro mary ss. I'm faster than my geared hardtail 26er and don't miss gears for a second.... at least not where i ride. suspension might be nice at times, but most of the time I don't wish i had it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    22:34 is crazy!

When I singlespeed I mash 34:20 (34:18 soon). but when I ride my geared bike I'm spinning 26:34 most of the time