Thread: First SS ride.

mtbr member

First SS ride.

I have been itching to try a single speed for awhile. So, I purchased a 09 Kona Unit 2-9 fully rigid yesterday, and went out last evening for a ride. I live in Durango, CO and a decent Gulch system is nearby without too many massive climbs and it was my test bed.

First impressions, I had a grin from ear-to-ear the entire time. Why? Not sure yet, maybe It just felt different, maybe it was due to a new excitement? The bike just seemed innocent, simple, yet.. ....seductive....will I tire of the ole' girl after I find out what she is really like in the morning? Will she gain weight and I be looking for another hot thing to ride!? Oh, I digress, I am still speaking of my bike of course...

But. WOW, it was freaking fun! Her perfectly round 29inch tires just wanted to roll over over any obstacle without much resistance. Being rigid, I was very surprised of what bumps and jumps she could still handle without much trouble. My heart was racing, this bike just wants to be rode hard and fast!

Of course my full suspension is not shelved, she will be there for those longer rides and races, but I think for training in the Gulch area I will be focusing it upon my SS.

I do have some questions as a newb... I read often the geometry of a SS is different to allow out-of-seat climbing to be more efficient than a geared frame bike. Is this true? I see conflicting data regarding this conversation.

Thanks for any info.

Oz
    Matthew Ozvat
    http://www.linkedin.com/in/mozvat
    http://toedwy.blogspot.com/

The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

bicycle bicycle bicycle
    Quote Originally Posted by Toedwy
    Of course my full suspension is not shelved, she will be there for those longer rides and races, but I think for training in the Gulch area I will be focusing it upon my SS.

Oz
    That's what I said two years ago. I've probably ridden my FS bike twice and I sold my hardtail since I bought the Mary SS .

Enjoy!

PS: Can't help with the geometry question but I know I am out of the saddle on most climbs on the SS.

Peace

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    The Unit is a nice ride... almost got one of those myself, but don't tell my monocog that.

Climbing out of the saddle is a necessary skill on a SS regardless of geometry. I tend to climb out of, but very close to the saddle on most climbs, and only really stand up when it gets very steep... which usually means there's a little bit of the old two foot gear involved also. There's never going to be that 'perfect' gear on a SS... that's why it is so great... just go ride.

And, yeah, those 29" wheels want to go fast, as fast as you can push 'em.

mtbr member
    The first time I rode my singlespeed, I couldn't stop smiling either. And...I don't know why. I've only had it about 1 1/2 months, but my HT hasn't seen me lately. I have to force myself to ride it. The HT is a great bike. But the 29er SS is just plain fun.

I find myself out of the saddle a lot.

Have fun...that is what it is all about.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I haven't stopped grinning.

My FS is still hanging in the garage and I only ride the SS now. For me, the bike tells me when to stand.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Congrats on the Kona. I bought the same one at the beginning of the season still ride my FS but it is damn fun to get on on a SS with no suspension. I left my gearing the same for the trails I ride. I am doing pretty much what you did in terms of the bike. On my home trails I ride my Unit almost exclusively for training purposes. For longer rides or more technical stuff I tend to use my FS. It took awhile to be able to clear everything but the legs get strong fast. I run my seat post lower on my Unit then I do on my FS bike since I am out of the saddle a lot and want to keep it out of the way.

As for the geometry on the bike I can't really answer that question. I know that the 29er forced me to go down in size. Normally I ride a medium but on the unit I felt like the medium was way too big. I ended up going with the small. What this does to the geometry I am not sure. I think the fully ridged just makes climbing out of the saddle feel way more efficient more than the geometry does though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I got my SS a couple of months ago, it's all I want to ride.
    weird and unexplainable, but I ain't fighting it, just enjoying it

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Toedwy
    I have been itching to try a single speed for awhile. So, I purchased a 09 Kona Unit 2-9 fully rigid yesterday, and went out last evening for a ride. I live in Durango, CO and a decent Gulch system is nearby without too many massive climbs and it was my test bed.

First impressions, I had a grin from ear-to-ear the entire time. Why? Not sure yet, maybe It just felt different, maybe it was due to a new excitement? The bike just seemed innocent, simple, yet.. ....seductive....will I tire of the ole' girl after I find out what she is really like in the morning? Will she gain weight and I be looking for another hot thing to ride!? Oh, I digress, I am still speaking of my bike of course...

But. WOW, it was freaking fun! Her perfectly round 29inch tires just wanted to roll over over any obstacle without much resistance. Being rigid, I was very surprised of what bumps and jumps she could still handle without much trouble. My heart was racing, this bike just wants to be rode hard and fast!

I do have some questions as a newb... I read often the geometry of a SS is different to allow out-of-seat climbing to be more efficient than a geared frame bike. Is this true? I see conflicting data regarding this conversation.

Thanks for any info.

Oz
    I just got back from Durango. I rode the Horse Gulch on my SS, and had a freaking blast. I love all the trails in that area. I've been strictly SS for 2 years now..... trust me she never gets tired. Be prepared to ditch the FS!!!!!

SS or Die
    Kinda new to the SS thing myself and like others here, I simply love it but I dont know why either but everytime one of my geared buddies have a drive train mechanical and I sit back and smile and wonder why I ever put up with those petty issues.

Im loving SS so much after only two months that Ive already put down a deposit on a dedicated Blacksheep Ti frame.....cant wait!

Regarding SS geometry, I didnt even know there was a difference. My Blacksheep frame sports very similar measurements to my Custom Independent Fabrications Geared HT FWIW.
    "Be the Gear..."

mtbr member
    The rigid front suspension is challenging when going downhill. Especially since I was riding a full suspension for the last 3 years.

To handle the downhill I need to slow it down or get thrown off my steed!

So, If wanted to keep go faster on the downhill I need a front suspension. What suggestions do you recommend for a front fork? I do have a F29 on my other full suspension. I am eyeballing the Fox 32 F29 RL 80mm

And, I don't know the weight of the F29 vs the steel stock rigid fork. Is the weight difference even noticeable or a consideration?

Should I just be a purist and keep it rigid!?
    Last edited by Toedwy; 08-07-2009 at 06:39 PM.
    Matthew Ozvat

SS or Die
    To me the advantages of the rigid fork out weigh the negatives on a SS, the front end is soo much lighter with my carbon fork in place that suspension doesnt feel neccessary, the bike simply rolls over the terrain easier. When I ride my other HT with the fork locked out it isnt the same because the extra weight effects the bikes characteristics.

Yeah its rougher on techy decents and you have to tame your speed a little but it harnesses great bike skills and allows you to flog the crap out of your mates when you start climbing again.

I like my bikes to be agile and responsive and find it is probably the reason I like SS so much, the lighter the bike the better.

I rode my other Geared HT thismorning and really noticed the extra weight when ascending and found myself riding in higher gears than normal but seemed like alot of extra work to me. I'd rather have no gears, no extra unwanted weigh, a simple rigid fork and just ride and smile.....
    "Be the Gear..."

mtbr member
    Ahhh, so maybe I should upgrade my steel stock fork to a carbon!

That is an idea, what are your suggestions for a 29'er carbon fork?
    Matthew Ozvat

SS or Die
    I recently purchased an Exotic Carbon Fork on the Bay brand new for $145.17 delivered to Australia from the UK.

Fork weighs 710grams, cut and rides great. They were selling on the Bay for $300ish shipped but I bought it through a link on the sellers site from "carboncycles.cc" with free International Shipping, so I thought great! got nothin to loose.

The fork is a direct copy of the White Brothers Rock Solid and the only difference is the decals.

I bought the 465mm A-C version with Carbon Steerer.

My Blacksheep frame will be built around a matching Ti fork and Ive read that they ride even more plush but we will see I guess.

Cant beat the Exotic for the money IMO though
    "Be the Gear..."