mtbr member

Wink First SS real ride, some considerations

I'm new here, so be gentle please...

I just came back from a weekend at East Burke's Kingdom Trails. I brought 2 bikes: my Giant Trance and my "initiation" SS bike. I had an old GF SuperCal frame from the late '90's in my basement, from the batch that the paint didn't hold: tried to clean with a pressure washer once and the paint came off....old XT cranks, old XT v-brakes, old set of wheels (XTR rear hub from my racing days...), Bontrager ti flat handlebar, alu bar-ends (those are great on a singlespeed!!!) and a not new Manitou Black Super-Air 100mm. Geared 32 X 18. Shwalbe Rocket Ron tires.

My expectation was that I would probably end up walking about 25% of the hills and have the rest of the group wait for me a few times. Well, this didn't happen. Stayed in front and didn't walk. (...some of it was pride (ego?) I guess...) Granted, we probably did not ride the biggest hills, but we rode most of everything, both sides of Darling Hill.

I had a big smile on my face for the 5 hours we rode. Only had to remember to attack instead of spin. I loved it. Didn't use my Trance this time.

The only thing my 51 years-old back didn't always agree with is the hardtail part of the bike. When I raced this bike a long time ago, I was using the older version of the Thudbuster. It really saved my back and I'm thinking of geting one again, or trying a Rockshox seatpost or something.... I know I'll be adding maybe 200g but my back needs it. After the first hour, I took some air out of my rear tire (not converted to Stan's yet....only had time to do the front before the weekend..) and that made a huge difference in comfort.

I will be slowly upgrading parts to get a lighter/better/more comfortable set up when budget allows. I'm already dreaming of a Ti frame... Anyone has a size small (16") for sale, cheap or knows where to find one???

I'll be spending some time on this forum from now on,

Cheers from Canada,

Johnnydrz

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Right on! SS is a great time... I use a thudbuster on my rigid SS, and I don't even think about the weight. The added comfort, control, and traction is a non-negotiable for me. And no bob like on a squishy. Big fan of these, in case you couldn't tell.