Thread: First SS Build

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

First SS Build

This week im going to start my first ss build and could use some input on a few things. The frame i'll be using is a surly 1x1. The part im not sure on is what crank, what would be a good one to start off with(brand/length) and being that I live in Michigan what gearing should I start out w/. I have been reading quite a bit on the forum and it seem that the white industries FW is the way to go w/ sram PC-7X chain. Im also thinking of using the surly hubs. Any input would help thanks.
    Eric

KgB
    SNGLSPD

I like the xt crank

[QUOTE=Funkyjive]This week im going to start my first ss build and could use some input on a few things. The frame i'll be using is a surly 1x1. The part im not sure on is what crank, what would be a good one to start off with(brand/length) and being that I live in Michigan what gearing should I start out w/. I have been reading quite a bit on the forum and it seem that the white industries FW is the way to go w/ sram PC-7X chain. Im also thinking of using the surly hubs. Any input would help thanks.
    Eric[/QUOTE
    I have a 180 crank,5mm bigger than my geared(seemed like a good idea at the time and still seems good.)
    I would start with cheap freewheels until your satisfied with gearing.
    34/18 is a good start
    pc-68 has treated me well.
    surly hubs are awesome,I can't say enough about mine although I have the old style.
    good luck.
    I've been inside too long.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I agree with KgB, stick with cheap free wheels until you find a gear ratio that suits you, especially if you haven't SSed much before and because you live in Michigan and the riding their is a bit odd (flat). You may want to go to a WI freewheel later because if you ride in the muck and gunk you are bound go through them quickly. As for cranks, I just picked up a set of the integrated XT's in 180mm: stiff, light, and simple.