mtbr member
    Jul 2006

First Singlespeed ride w/ bike pics!

Well I finally got the singlespeed project done and took it to the trails today! It was actually the first real ride on my Fox TALAS's as well. I won't say the ride was epic...simply because even though I'm usually in good cardio shape, I'm not in die hard singlespeed shape yet..lol. BUT, it certainly was an awesome ride, and i had 0, yes 0, drivetrain issues I don't think my chain slipped even 1 time the entire two hour ride. That alone makes the conversion worth it. I'm running a 32/18 ratio and I think that was the right choice for the terrain. I was thanking the stars that i didn't go 32/16 on some of the steep rooty trails we have around here. Other than to rest and get my heart rate down, I only had to dismount because of terrain twice. The hardest part about 1 gear is the hairpin, uphill and sometimes root filled turns that make you lose all your momentum. I suspect that after a couple months of riding I will have the extra reserve juice to mash through anything Since the last time I did any real riding I've shed my =derailuers/cables, 2 chainrings, a cassette, the shifters, and switched to a light Fox TALAS. Combined with the fact that my frame is a late 90's Alpha Aluminum, my bike is light as sh**! Its amazing how you can feel the difference in acceleration when you get to a good hill. All in all I'm happy to join the ranks, and seeing as its my only bike....I suspect I'm going to have some pretty hardcore endurance soon!

Thanks to those who gave me advice/links on what to look for and where to look! Heres some pics....

8 is great

(not that fast)
    are you located south of the equator? everything is backwards on your bike.

i have the same tires, heavy, but i really like them in the slop

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by fastale
    are you located south of the equator? everything is backwards on your bike.

i have the same tires, heavy, but i really like them in the slop
    Hahaha.....nope...have to take pictures with my macbook because my camera phone is glitchy..lol. Yeah, I've been happy with these tires sofar. I try to never blow a cash wad on tires. I always get whatever is most aggressive and on sale at Performance Im sure there are better, but they've worked great for me as well.
    8 is great

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    these pics are making me dizzy.

mtbr member
    There not backwards. Thats a left-handed bike!! Ha

nothing to see here
    enod lleW. teews skooL. noisrevnoc eciN.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevob
    enod lleW. teews skooL. noisrevnoc eciN.

LOL...you guys are jacka**'s.......Thanks tho
    8 is great

nothing to see here
    heheheheheh

808+909 = Party Good Time
    Sweet job and glad ya loving it. Like the fact that it's your only bike, it will force you to enjoy it (or hate it)... whatever.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Tru dat. I'm sure I'm gonna love it. The only downside I found is long flat straights at the trailhead, I wished for some lower gears...but thats the nature of all things I think. Nothing does EVERYthing best.
    8 is great

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by fastale
    are you located south of the equator? everything is backwards on your bike...
    Other than flipped pics, looks great! Nice build.
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

nothing to see here
    At least the brake levers are on the right side

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Glad to hear you had a great experience! I find that biking is biking. The difference between SS and geared biking is the rhythm you bike at. I just had to develop a system to powering up hills and such with a single gear as opposed to when I had gears on the bike.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevob
    At least the brake levers are on the right side
    Flipped brake levers is a good thing. Who decided on their placement anyway? I flip mine so there is no confusion from MTB to motorcycle about which is the front brake.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth
    Flipped brake levers is a good thing. Who decided on their placement anyway? I flip mine so there is no confusion from MTB to motorcycle about which is the front brake.
    I think that it all stems from which side of the road you drive on - AFAIK the idea was to allow you to use the rear brake while giving a hand signal to turn across the opposite carriageway. So if you drive on the left, your rear brake was on the left and vice versa.
    All BITD of course.

Luckily here we always set our bikes up with right=front (the same as a motorcycle) and I can't understand why the whole world doesn't do this .....
    Nice looking bike by the way - sorry about the thread hi-jacking
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Andy R; 08-05-2009 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Image added

nothing to see here
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth
    In Oz, most bikes are set up that way anyway.