Sweat is just fat crying.

First ride on my "new" SS, and...

...I get to ride with these two cuties, also SS'ers! How lucky can a fellow get?

[SIZE=2]L to R: Cruizy, me and Kim.[/SIZE]

The story on my bike is I have an old C-dale CAAD 3 that was tucked away in the barn. A few months ago, I decided what the hell, I'm gonna have it turned into an SS, so I took it to Matt at Auburn Bike Works and he did the deed to my steed. I got to ride it today.

We rode Salmon Falls in El Dorado Hills, CA, and had a blast. The girls were a bit better on the uphills than I, but I imagine that will soon change (it had better, dangit!). The 23 lb bike (XL frame) is so much nimbler than my 33 lb Enduro, that I didn't miss the rear suspension as much as I thought I might. The HeadShok could use a little more travel, but someday, I may put my Marz MX Comp on there.

Couple of questions- there's only one pinch bolt on my stem. It loosened up after a while, and I really had to cinch it down. Is this going to be a problem? Should I get a stem w/ 2 bolts? Also, I had some skipping issues under heavy loads. The entire drivetrain is new, except for an old chain. Do you think the chain is causing the skippage, and if so, what should I replace it with? The cheap Shimano chain I got on my Enduro has served me well, but I sure like the idea of having a removable link as the Srams have.

Thanks- hope you enjoy the pics.

fp
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

I CAME I SAW I CONQUERED

Yes, You must always........

run a new chain when you replace new chain rings
    or a new cassette ALWAYS, NO EXCEPTIONS!

The sram chains work very well too.

Good Luck V V V

The Top Cap Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    Couple of questions- there's only one pinch bolt on my stem. It loosened up after a while, and I really had to cinch it down. Is this going to be a problem? Should I get a stem w/ 2 bolts? Also, I had some skipping issues under heavy loads. The entire drivetrain is new, except for an old chain.
    As far as the stem - are you talking about the pinch bolt to the steerer? Or handlebar? I assume the steerer. Tighten it again and if it comes loose replace it. If it's the handlebar pinch bot - replace it with a newer headshok stem (2 or 4 bolt end cap).

Sounds like the chain COULD be the culprit IF it is very worn. You didn;t mention how you tensioned the chain?? If your using a Surly Singuleator - it might not be exactly on the money - if it's off it will make noises like skipping... also check the rear cog spacing too - it will do the same sound if it is not perfectly straight either.....

Enjoy SS!
    FF
    "If I'm leading, I'm bleeding."

Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Freddy
    As far as the stem - are you talking about the pinch bolt to the steerer? Or handlebar? I assume the steerer. Tighten it again and if it comes loose replace it. If it's the handlebar pinch bot - replace it with a newer headshok stem (2 or 4 bolt end cap).

Sounds like the chain COULD be the culprit IF it is very worn. You didn;t mention how you tensioned the chain?? If your using a Surly Singuleator - it might not be exactly on the money - if it's off it will make noises like skipping... also check the rear cog spacing too - it will do the same sound if it is not perfectly straight either.....

Enjoy SS!
    FF
    Yeah, the steerer pinch. I tightened the hell out of it on the trail, and at the end of the ride, it was ok. Kinda scary, tho. Seems like a couple more tightens like that & I'll strip something.

Yes, it's a Singulator (sp?). The chain was actually skipping, just like it would on a new chain/old drivetrain or vice versa. I told a friend about it, and he said there was no way an old chain would cause it, but...

Thanks for the infotomation, guys.

fp
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

Ride what you want!!
    Get a new chain you fricken cheapskate.

What happened to the avatar?

george
    Trogs: Too Tough for Carbon Fiber

Account Retired

One more thing about skippage

[size=3]Since you are using a singulator, there is a tensioning flange that you need to use a cone wrench to add tension to the chain. Your singulator can also be run to push the chain upward, wrapping the chain further around the rear cog. This requires using a different spring which is included in with a new singulator. When I first built a ss I installed a singulator and had skipping.....after the first ride I came back home and dug the directions out of the Garbage and read them.....duh.....tightenened the tensioner and the skipping was gone. I gotta fire my mechanic or get him some ed-jah-mah-caytion.[/size]

Lazy People Suck
    Yeah, the steerer pinch. I tightened the hell out of it on the trail, and at the end of the ride, it was ok. Kinda scary, tho. Seems like a couple more tightens like that & I'll strip something.

Yes, it's a Singulator (sp?). The chain was actually skipping, just like it would on a new chain/old drivetrain or vice versa. I told a friend about it, and he said there was no way an old chain would cause it, but...

Thanks for the infotomation, guys.

fp
    The newer two bolt stem would probably be the best solution, but before you lay down the funds for that, you may try a little blue (non permanent) loctite on the bolt to keep it from coming loose. On the Singulator, one other thing is that, if you can, make sure that you are running it in the push up position to get more chain wrap and keep the tension on the spring pretty high.

Don't go and ruin that Cannondale by putting some ******* fork on it. If anything, go on Ebay and get a newer Headshock with 80mm of travel. Anything 2002 and newer really is alot smoother and works better than the older ones. Nothings handles better than a headshock (provided you don't need more than 80mm travel).
    "Son, The world needs ditchdiggers, too"-Ted Knight, Caddyshack

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!

Like Raven said

Quote Originally Posted by LakeRaven
    [size=3]Since you are using a singulator, there is a tensioning flange that you need to use a cone wrench to add tension to the chain. Your singulator can also be run to push the chain upward, wrapping the chain further around the rear cog. This requires using a different spring which is included in with a new singulator. When I first built a ss I installed a singulator and had skipping.....after the first ride I came back home and dug the directions out of the Garbage and read them.....duh.....tightenened the tensioner and the skipping was gone. I gotta fire my mechanic or get him some ed-jah-mah-caytion.[/size]
    Use the push-up mode. Less hopping and a skipping. Might require you to switch ratios, so turn it up a notch!

Jed Peters
    You lucky *******.

I am the owl
    Man, that chick in the middle has a pretty heavy beard...
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

Medium?

Nice!

I feel like the less I have to think about, the better time I have, so I jack off instead of picking up girls. Wait, did I say that out loud? I meant that a two bolt stem my be less to worry about and less creaking that that old one-bolter.

An old chain can cause problems with new rings. I like sram chains too, but once you've got it set up, you won't have to take it apart for a year or more.

Do you have the push up spring for the singleator? Most people think that's a better way to go than push down, and may hold the chain on better. If the chain's too long to do it, get a half-link from Spicer; cheap solution.

Get a steel rule and check the alignment of the rear cog and the ring. I don't think it's as critical as people say, but check it. My current setup is cross chaining by a whole ring (middle ring pos. vs big ring pos.), and it works ok.

Bend '01 was the last time I rode FS. D'ville in May was the last time I rode gears. Last night was the last time I ... oh never mind.

Vegan Athlete
    YOU SUCK!!!!!!!!! I rode ForestHill Divide, the connector and the Confluence with skinny stinky guys. I'd have much rather been part of your posse.
    I had some skipping problems when I set up my SS. I cleaned up the chain line and put a DX cog on instead of the cog I had pulled off an old cassette. Now it is flawless.
    Girls on single speeds... ergh, makes me almost cry. Why not me lord, why not me?
    Take a look at and consider "liking" my Vegan Athlete Facebook page.

Witty McWitterson
    Seeing as its a Cannondale, you may be lucky enough to be able to run it in 32-16 w/o a tensioner. From what I've heard, they have the magic chainstay length. If thats the case, it should permenently solve your skipping issue.
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    Hey Gary
    I stole a couple of these too. The one of Suzy up there is excellent. You cannot hide your pictures from me in here. I will find them. Is this the whole stash? No holding out.

These will be up in our Singlespeeding Gals gallery. Thanks!!

I havent yet decided what to do about the asscrack picture though.

Sabine

High

Quote Originally Posted by Sabine
    Hey Gary
    I stole a couple of these too. The one of Suzy up there is excellent. You cannot hide your pictures from me in here. I will find them. Is this the whole stash? No holding out.

These will be up in our Singlespeeding Gals gallery. Thanks!!

I havent yet decided what to do about the asscrack picture though.

Sabine
    Hell the how are you? I figured you'd like the one of Cruizy cuz you can see the Velo Bella logo so well.

If you email me, I can give you the assword to my Ofoto site, where there may be some more pics for you. Free!

Geary
    swagkingathotmaildotcom

cut like the fog.
    Damn! You always get to ride with great Posse's

Congrats on the SS, if it were me, I'd be replacing that stem pronto. You'll crank hard enough on it that it's not worth the risk of coming loose and ending up with a mouthfull of stem. Also, Your chain is probably the culprit. Looking at the first photo, if you can get beyond the fantastic scenery, it looks like your chain is sagging. You should do three things, replace the chain, make sure your chainline is tip-top, tension the Singulator, and reset it to the push-up position.

Think of how huge your legs will be soon.

b.
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]
    [/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2][/SIZE][/SIZE]

Jed Peters
    If you email me, I can give you the assword to my Ofoto site, where there may be some more pics for you. Free!
    Already sent that to her.