mtbr member

First real SS singletrack on the Solo One

Coworker and I did a "team building" event by riding Wilder Ranch today. I was a little nervous because I sold my geared stumpjumper a few months ago, leaving me w/ only a geared CX, 1 SS roadie, 1 KHS Solo One (stock), and an Il Pompino to be built. I haven't ridden Wilder in a while so I couldn't figure out if the CX would be doable. My buddy convinced me to bring the Solo One.

I'm glad I didn't ride the CX. I wouldn't have been able to handle the long washboards, ruts, goatheads and drops at all today w/ my IF. I was also concerned about riding SS off road since most of my SS has strictly road. I figured my fitness was pretty good, since I'm coming off my first season of CX and I train a few times a week.

I handled it pretty well. Granted, I had to walk a few sections because they were just too steep for my current skill level on a 33:18. I figured that I would've had some trouble on those sections w/ my geared MTB. Most of the fatigue during the ride came from my upper body, riding on a rigid fork.

A few hours later, I'm not sore or tired, so it was a good day. Or maybe I didn't ride hard enough...

Fortunately, it's a slow week next week. More riding BABY!

BTW, the Solo One rides quite well. Handling is pretty solid, even though you do have to pay attention to your lines because of the rigid fork. It's pretty quick too. So far I'm happy w/ the bike.

mtbr member

Wilder...

thats the place just north of Santa Cruz on 1? If its the place I'm thinking of I've ridden there, geared back then! I remember liking one section that dropped into a small dense section of woods the best. That section reminded me of riding here alot, but the scenery over all and the weather was better ! Glad to see you had fun on the maiden offroad ride. I've taken my SS all over now, I'm always suprised how well I do without the old granny gears.

Hope your having a good holiday!

MC

Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolboarder
    Coworker and I did a "team building" event by riding Wilder Ranch today. I was a little nervous because I sold my geared stumpjumper a few months ago, leaving me w/ only a geared CX, 1 SS roadie, 1 KHS Solo One (stock), and an Il Pompino to be built. I haven't ridden Wilder in a while so I couldn't figure out if the CX would be doable. My buddy convinced me to bring the Solo One.

I'm glad I didn't ride the CX. I wouldn't have been able to handle the long washboards, ruts, goatheads and drops at all today w/ my IF. I was also concerned about riding SS off road since most of my SS has strictly road. I figured my fitness was pretty good, since I'm coming off my first season of CX and I train a few times a week.

I handled it pretty well. Granted, I had to walk a few sections because they were just too steep for my current skill level on a 33:18. I figured that I would've had some trouble on those sections w/ my geared MTB. Most of the fatigue during the ride came from my upper body, riding on a rigid fork.

A few hours later, I'm not sore or tired, so it was a good day. Or maybe I didn't ride hard enough...

Fortunately, it's a slow week next week. More riding BABY!

BTW, the Solo One rides quite well. Handling is pretty solid, even though you do have to pay attention to your lines because of the rigid fork. It's pretty quick too. So far I'm happy w/ the bike.

mtbr member

Yup, that's it.

Tricky thing to remember is to take off your glasses. It was gorgeous out, no clouds, great ocean view. But when you hit the woods, it's pretty dark. W/ glasses, you can't see a lot of the ruts.