mtbr member

New question here. First purchase for Lynskey SS build

Just rode with a guy who had the ZTR Olympic Notubes build wheels. He was totally happy with them.... so that is gonna be my first purchase with hope 2 ss hub for the ridgeline .....providing I can get approval from Isuck and roy666. The guy with olympics was the only guy on the trail.......talk about good luck for me. What is a good choice for my cf crank and BB ?

mtbr member
    fifteen g

mtbr member

crank

Nicely done Lets ride. The truvativ noir 1.1 would work too but way more money. Looks like u been doing your homework. Thanks

mtbr member

KCNC Crank

This KCNC can also be a possibility. Roybatty put this on his on one. KCNC 2009 Chainset Pretty good looking also.....621 g running the middle spro only for ss. 100.00 or so more for the KCNC though.

mtbr member
    I just put a Fifteen G on my single speed and love it. Fairly light, stiff and classy without the bling

mtbr member

Fifteen g

The 15g is a good choice for sure. Best bang...cost and weight... for the buck. Think I may throw that on with a White bros. 09 rigid carbon fork. It looked good on another Lynskey I saw here. Thanks !

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I'm running Olympic/Revolution/Hope Pro 2 SS wheels and they are really good! But if I were to rebuild them I'd go for the wider Crest rims or FRM XMD333 and if the budget allows the DT 240 SS hub with the 36 POE ratchet update. But then I'm a bit of a Weight Weenie :-)

Notubes will launch ZTR SS hub in April/May that could be an alternative to Hope depending on POE/weight/price.

I use XTR cranks with Mattias Helloer Ti cog and chainring, feels solid.

mtbr member

240's

Yup.....240's are lighter. Yes there is money in the budget. The doctor or trainer will say u don't have to worry on taking weight off if u don't put it on in the first place. Wheels/hub most important buy in my books. ZTR'S are a go. I think the formula R1 brakes also a go. I have never built a bike from the frame up. At 57 this will prolly be my first and last ss or bike build as I have my Rascal ss also. MTBR is and will be the designer on this build. Not real excited about the red cross on the 240 hub though. Thanks...... Great input twestis !

mtbr member

Crank choices ?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient rascal
    Yup.....240's are lighter. Yes there is money in the budget. The doctor or trainer will say u don't have to worry on taking weight off if u don't put it on in the first place. Wheels/hub most important buy in my books. ZTR'S are a go. I think the formula R1 brakes also a go. I have never built a bike from the frame up. At 57 this will prolly be my first and last ss or bike build as I have my Rascal ss also. MTBR is and will be the designer on this build. Not real excited about the red cross on the 240 hub though. Thanks...... Great input twestis !

Only 57, you have time to build plenty of bikes!

There is quite a few SS specific hubs to choose from depending on your priorities. Here is a few with short body, in weight order.
    Tune Singlespeeder D at 230g, 24 POE, expensive and quality is often questioned
    http://tune.de/index.php?option=com_...id=213&lang=de
    American Classic SS at 244g ? POE
    http://www.amclassic.com/en/products...espeeddisc.php
    DTSwiss 240 SS at 258g, 24 POE can be upgraded to 36 POE and you loose 10g by doing it only centerlock, solid reputation and I belive the red cross is a sticker...
    http://www.dtswiss.com/Products/Comp...gle-speed.aspx
    WTB SS at 318g, ? POE
    http://www.wtb.com/products/wheels/h...iscsingleduty/
    Superstar SS Pro at 320 g 24 POE, quality?
    http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/produ...roducts_id=283
    Chris King at 322g, 72 POE, solid reputation
    http://chrisking.com/hubs/hbs_sspeed_disc
    I9 SS at 360g?, 120 POE
    http://www.industrynine.net/Hubs
    Hope Pro 2 SS at 361g according to Hope, 48 POE, I believe it really is 380g or so, solid performance.
    http://www.hopegb.com/voir_rhpr32btr.html
    Hadley at 455g, 72 POE

This is not a full list and weights are most probably with out QR or bolts.

mtbr member

Hubs wheels and things

On the last build thing......don't forget the link at bottom is my last bike ....original owner, and what I ride during the Lynskey build. That is a cell phone photo. Love that bike and it climbs killer. I started out early as a weight weenie I guess. Appreciate all your help twestis.I am in the very important start point. Prolly pass on the blingy building and go black theme. 240's build on ZTR from notubes. The blue hope hubs do look good though. Have u been able to run regular tires on your ZTR wheels ? I can see already that wanting and being able to buy parts that are available is going to be a challenge. Feel sorry for the folks building bikes with no backup to ride. My 1993 Klein jalopy is still pristine and always ready.... the beat down gets put on me not the bike. http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...59015#poststop

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Yes you can run regular tiers on them. I've been runnig Nobby Nic 2.1 and 2.25 both with tubes and with Stans and currently Race Kings 2.2 with Stans.

mtbr member
    My riding bud uses nothing but race kings. His cf cannondale came with the swiss hubs also. Not 240......3 something I think.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    For the crank, if you have the money, I highly recommend a Shimano XTR M960 modified by crazy8, with an ISAR chainring, and Enduro bearings. It's very light, very durable, looks great, and has, in my opinion, the best preload/retention system available.

mtbr member

Good/Bad Mechanic

OMG........that is a sweet one. Where do I sign up/get it. I have a cart going at Jenson with the White cf rigid for ...a scale and a few other goodies. PM me on the crank Bad Mech.... My visa is burning a hole in my pocket. That crank ain't at Jenson's......don't even have to check. It was a bike mechanic that started me on SS.

mtbr member

magnificent crank

Sent them an email about my frame. Hopefully not too expensive? Just what I am looking for. That is a big one/very important down in the parts search if it works out. I am not kidding about this being a MTBR build ! easy to say as little as I know about parts.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    PM sent.

mtbr member

First ss build parts

Ok now were rolling. Great idea on the xtr crank B.mechanic. Cf White rigid fork and park scale on its way. Next is final specs on the m960 crank before ordering. Not so sure I don't want to consider a hub with just a freewheel like my current ss. Worry free.....super low maintenance.....maybe save some money... weight? WI sealed bearing freewheel/heavy.....I know.

mtbr member

dbmnk

Change your mind ? Nothing on your post.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Change your mind ? Nothing on your post.
    Who are you talking to?

mtbr member

b.mech

I was responding to a thread from dbbmnk on the thread that was blank. I guess its gone now. RD is asking about materials for chainrings. aluminum ,ti ,stainless steel ? I used an old stainless steel forever on my first ss build. What u think for the new crank ?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Aluminum.

Ti is too expensive, and stainless isn't the best material.

mtbr member
    I was responding to a thread from dbbmnk on the thread that was blank. I guess its gone now. RD is asking about materials for chainrings. aluminum ,ti ,stainless steel ? I used an old stainless steel forever on my first ss build. What u think for the new crank ?
    To clarify RD was asking if you were wanting a; 1pc or 2pc ISAR cog in alum, ti or stainless. I had already figured a 32t ISAR alum ring, which will fill the bill for your crank nicely. It's difficult to find stainless rings made with quality steel.

mtbr member

b.mech

Aluminum it is. Also the mavic 717 disc rims at 395 g's looks like a strong rim to go with dt swiss ss 240's. The ztr crest rim is lighter but I don't see myself going tubeless at the moment. Thanks again !

mtbr member

crankset and wheelset

Just did final order specs for the XTR M960 ss crankset with Token Tiramic bearing upgrade and 32 t isar chain ring. It matches this link. http://www.ceramikoat.com/products/lgpic/cranks/009.jpg For the wheelset I am close to going with the notubes build of the DT Swiss 240 single speed center lock rear disk hub on crest rims. Then use the matching 240 center lock disk front hub also. Please feel free to add comments or suggestions.

mtbr member

frame and fork

First weight specs for the build. Large 19' frame = 1628g and White bro. rigid fork 814g. + 54g more than claimed 760g. on fork.
    Suicide by single speed. Work in progress.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Is the crankset ordered?

mtbr member

crankset order

He keeps threatening to send a work order........no hurry. All specs in and just got clearance for my pay pal account.......let the games begin. Fired up for Demolition Forest ride tamale. What thickness for spokes for the notubes build ? 1.8/1.5 .....2.0/15,,,,,,2.0/17 . Thinking 2.0/15 front......2.0/17 SS rear ? My mechanic is so close I can walk to the shop for wheel truing if I go super light. Match the hubs......240's ss rear 240 centerlock front ? Let's get them wheels ordered ! ......GO SHARKS !!!!!!

mtbr member

It's getting there

The Ridgeline is coming together. I have the frame and White cf rigid fork and scale here with the modified m960 crank and BB from crazy8 coming soon. Wheelset is crest rims with dt swiss 240's SS centerlock ordered from notubes. The brake headache is next. Mainly looking for lightweight as I have been fine with rim brakes and never owned disc. I will put up some pics when the crank and wheelset get here. Thanks for all the help !

Members who have read this thread: 0