mtbr member
    Nov 2008

First OTB Experince

Thought it'd be nice to get some story sharing going and what better topic then going otb going uphill, something that I can never seem to explain correctly.

Apologies for my poor story telling, not a skill I ever had a chance to pick up.

My first otb happened just today. It was a nice day to bike, warm but not too warm. It would have been a great ride if only this hill wasn't there. It wasn't especially steep or technical, but it had a single jutting rock in the middle. I knew I had to avoid it at all cost and that I shouldn't even look at it, only at the space around it, but curse human nature! I took a hill with a strong starting sprint, getting start before resorting to huffing. The cursed rock was just ahead and I couldn't stop starring at it. But somehow I didn't hit it, passing by complete untouched. That is until I celebrated and not noticed that I was in a sand pit cranking my front tire too far. Next thing I knew, my face was eating sand and dirt, my slightly below the waist reigon square on the rock.

After spending probably an hour trying to move as little as possible, I hobbled my way home. Heres hoping to a less painful experience next time.

ENDO!!!
    Well I hate to be the one to break it to you, but if you keep at it, it probably wont be your last otb. I have been riding for 15 years, and went otb for the first time on my new SS. Not the first for me, and far from the last, I am sure!
    Just circles turning circles....

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Guess I will learn to like staring at the clouds soon!

local trails rider
    I think I did my first uphill OTB last spring or summer:

That hillside usually fits my loops going uphill and I've done it countless times. The surface is varying grades of sand and the steepness varies quite a bit too. I know I can SS it up, as long as I keep up some speed for the loose and/or slightly steeper spots. So here I was, sprinting for the last piece of gravel that steepens a bit to reach the very top ... THUNK, I leave the bike behind me.

A tiny twisted root was sticking out of the sand and I had managed to hang my right pedal on it. I really need to learn to pay attention...

V-Shaped Rut
    I've never heard of a non-SSer going OTB uphill. Strangely enough I posted a similar story here a little over a month ago.

Only on a single speed.....

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I wonder if it is because we are off the saddle while climbing? On my FS geared bike, I'm rarely standing while climbing. But, I've done the OTB uphill thing too, only on my rigid SS. My OTB was at an angle -- the front wheel turned so I kind of went OTB, kind of off the side.

On my FS geared bike, I've looped over backwards a few times going uphill. So, maybe that is it -- you loop on the geared bike, OTB on the SS when going uphill...

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    First time I rode a mtb I went over the bar 3 times. First time from squeezing the front brake too hard and the others from going up hill.

mtbr member
    Ouch, I cringed reading it.