mtbr member
    Apr 2005

"The first one's free" (a.k.a. assimilating a co-worker)

Heh, my evil little plan is working, i brought the "Gararge sale Special" to work today, and am going to leave it here so i can use it to grab lunch and get some biking in after work, however, i also have some ulterior motives.....

i've been trying to get a co-worker into biking, he doesn't have a car, and lives within walking distance to work, so i figure i'll let him use the bike to get to and from work, he's less than a 10 minute walk from work....

hopefully, he'll get infected with the "biking bug", potentially with the "Monospedus Velocidus" strain, and end up purchasing a bike of his own.....

heck, if he offers to buy the bike off me ($65, basically for the price of the parts used to get it rideable), i'll sell it to him once i have another horiz. dropout equipped SS

i really need to find a better name for my SS other than "The Gararge sale Special", any ideas?

why am i suddenly looking at my other 2 bikes now (old Fila Taos rigid steel MTB and Trek 4500) and thinking i'd have more fun with them if they were SS.....

(just too bad thay're vertical drop frames, i like the purity and simplicity of not using a tensioner)

i guess you weren't kidding when you said it's an addiction.....
    Brian, there's a message in my Alpha-Bits, it says "OOOOOOOO"
    Peter, those are Cheerios

Gears, we don't need no steenking gears!

Glue Sniffer
    Ahhhh, assimilation techniques.

I've got this Santa Cruz Blur that's been singlespeedified. My main ride is a 1x1, and the Blur has become my "guest bike".

So, far it's made 3 converts and one on the way. All chicks.

When they have a problem with their bikes, or want to give mountain biking a try, I loan it to them. Hell I practically force it on them.

Me: "Try my bike".
    Them: "But it's so nice, I don't want to break it."
    Me: "TRY MY BIKE!"
    Them: "It's okay, I'll have my bike back in a few days"
    Me: "TRRRRYYYYYY MYYYYY BIIIIIIIIIKE"
    Them: "Really? Okay then! Cool!"

Between the sweet ass suspension and the single gear, it's the short bus of bikes. It's retard proof (no offense to the retarded cyclists of the world). It's impossible to screw up a line. Just point, pedal, and smile ear to ear.

Granted, it's not the same feel as a hardtail SS. But the important part is that it gets them over the idea that having one gear is only for the "hardcore".

It was kinda cool being the only local chicky with a SS. But, seeing past "Short Bus" riders zooming around on their own singles is worth the sacrifice of uniqueness.
    Cats just don't feel safe on a moving bicycle, no matter how much duct tape you use. www.adventuresinprocreating.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Y'know, i may have a problem here.....

now that i've gotten back from my first extremely short lunch commute (15 minutes round trip, still better than sitting on my arse and fixing broken Macs though...), i don't want to leave the SS at work.....

i walked out of the office into the humid 90 degree blast furnace in Dover NH, carrying the bike down the stairs from the loading dock, grabbed my backpack out of the car and hopped on the bike for a quick trip down to Riverbend Variety store....

i wheeled over the antique covered walking/biking bridge in silence, just the thrumming of the tires against the wooden boards, i zipped out from under the bridge and down a well worn road, the tires humming against the pavement, just for fun, i took a steer into the gravel on the side of the road, and the rear tire began spinning out a little, looks like i chose a strong gear ratio.....

oh, was that a small hill, funny, never even noticed it

pulled into the store, grabbed my food and headed back, i can't get over how quiet it is, it's almost like stealth-riding, no clatter of gears, just clean, efficient power delivery, i take a corner to go back over the bridge, and the rear tire actually powerslides a little, never could've done that on my gearies....

it's funny, but my favorite bikes keep getting older and simpler, instead of newer and more sophisticated...

my first MTB was the Fila Taos, a rigid frame bike, a good, solid bike, nothing fancy or special, it got the job done, about 3 years ago, the granny gear on the cassette cracked, and the LBS said it would cost more than it was worth to fix.... they were more than happy to sell me a Giant Boulder SE, however, they sized me wrong (too small, but i found that out too late to return it) and i stopped riding for a while as the Boulder was almost painful to ride,

i sold the Boulder and got a Trek 4500, sized correctly to me by a competent bike shop, and began riding again, the fun was back

then i started browsing MTBR, and the Singlespeed forum caught my attention, i remembered the Fila i gave to my sister (advising her not to use the granny gear), turns out she never rode it, she gave it back, and i was planning for that one to be my SS, problem is, it has vertical dropouts and i don't like the idea of using a tensioner, seems too piecemeal to me (no offense intended to SS'ers that use tensioners), part of the appeal of SS to me was the simplicity of the setup, and a tensioner added in an unwanted level of complexity.....

then i found the old Raleigh, and found my perfect SS bike.....

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

It just takes *one* ride....

I got into work today, and the first thing Jothee (names Farscaped to protect the innocent ) said was...

"i played around on your bike (the Raleigh SS) last evening, first i rode it arond in the parking lot to get used to it, then i rode down to the corner, and then i started to explore the town, i always wondered where that road (points to a road leading off to the right of the walikng bridge) went...

this thing is a *blast*, it's really fun, can't believe how fast it is"

yeah, i know, it's a quick lil' bike, innit?, i think i'll take it home this weekend, get a bike computer put on it so i can see how fast it *really*goes

"(Jothee's face falls) oh, i was really hoping to use it this weekend....."

Sure, no problem, i've got 2 other bikes at home anyway, i'll get the computer put on later, don't worry about it, have fun with it...

"thanks!, i really appreciate it"

no problem, just have fun...

so this afternoon, i'll stop at the LBS up the road and get a cheapo lock for it, and tell Jothee to keep it locked up when he's not using it, i know there's little chance of someone stealing it, as it looks like a ratty old bike, but i'd rather not take that chance....

i'll let him fall in love with the bike, then later, offer to sell it to him for just the cost of the parts i put into it, and i'll look for another, better bike w/ horiz. drops to make my next SS....

yep, first one's free, all it takes is one ride and you're hooked.....

(and since Jothee lives here in town, but doesn't have a car, this is more incentive for him to buy the bike off me...)