Low Rep Count

First Night Ride 2012

So without all the details as to why I was riding in the dark, I will just say that someone in my immediate family thru a wrench into my plan as usual which ended up delaying my start time. None the less, I had a frickn blast out there and even asked myself when almost home why I hadn't been out on a night ride sooner!

The trail was pretty much frozen so think crunchy where ever there was a mud puddle in the past. It was wicked fast and for the most part, the trail was clear of leaves (odd because they were damn near covered last week). Wish I would have had a partner with me for safety reasons but I did it all right. I took my phone. I took some matches and a knife, warm clothes, and some extra food/snacks in the event something went wrong. I didn't go off course for any little loops off the main trail and I told my wife exactly where I was headed. In the end, all was good and I felt great even though the temp was in the low 30's. In fact, I had to stop at about mile 3 to pull my arm warmers off (had on a Gore-Tex jacket) because I was starting to feel like I was over heating. Once I did this and opened up the under arm vents slightly, all was good.

So hopefully I can get out for another decent ride on Friday when I am off and then maybe a couple of night rides next week. The goal is to be ready for a group night ride next Friday. I think I should be good to go by then.

Here's the Garmin data to show that it did actually happen.

Untitled by got1spd at Garmin Connect - Details

Surprisingly, the pace was actually close to what I have been riding lately so I am actually pretty pleased. The downside to the whole ride is that I lost my tail light. I know the section that I lost it but I really didn't feel like going back to look for it in the dark (though it should have been easy to find since it was blinking) Oh well, so much for using the little clip on the back of it and hooking it to my saddle bag. Next time I will have it attached to the seat clamp it comes with (I mean, once I buy another one that is).

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    What's your lighting set up? Night riding is awesome...

A Gentleman and a MTBR'
    Mar 2007
    I've never gone on a night mountain bike ride, seems like it would be awesome, maybe a little creepy and sketchy, but awesome.

Low Rep Count
    My light set up is a 4 LED flash light I bought from deals extreme (I recall only paying about $25-30 for the flash light but then you have to buy the batteries and a recharger separatly. I think I paid about $50 total for it. The one in the link provided is similar but I know I did not spend that much. I also bought a handle bar mount for it for another $6-7.)

Aurora SH-45 HA-III Luminus SST-50 5-Mode 1000-Lumen Memory LED Flashlight (1*18650) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

And I ride with a Geo Man Magic Shine 900 mounted on my helmet.

Yes, night riding is a blast but I do not recommend that you go alone. I mean if you go down during the day, chances are good that someone will be coming up the trail and find you. When you go at night you may be stuck out there waiting for quite a while. Think safety first. Yes, I am a hypocrit if you will, however barring my not getting hurt, I am completely comfortable with being stranded in the middle of nowhere. I thank my years in the military (Ranger) and the training I received for that. Sometimes I sort of hope I get stuck out there so I can go all Bear Grills and what not for the night.

Clyde on a mission!
    Dec 2011
    Riding in the dark is awesome. Cool and silent, just you and the light beam. I always end up blasting through faster than I do in daylight conditions, seeing different wild life, racing rabbits that get caught in the lights and so on.

Low Rep Count
    The climbs don't see as bad in the dark. I mean, I ride this trail all the time but for some reason, I rolled right over everything last night. You can see from the ride profile that it is not exactly hilly but you can also see that the first half of the ride is a constant climb if you will. Maybe it is because you can't see everything around you and only where the light shines. Either way, I know I was riding faster than expected and it felt good.

Today will be a rest day but hopefully I will be able to get out for a nice long day ride on Friday while I am off. If not, I'll be back out in the dark for some fun!

The need for singlespeed
    Sounds like a nice ride, but you skipped the quad-burning climb up to Damascus Regional Park?

Low Rep Count
    Well, I'm not sure if I know what climb you are talking about. I normally ride to the path and turn around where the dirt trail stops. I have ridden up the path to the left from the trail but that just came up to what looked like a neighborhood or parking lot. Am I missing something?

The need for singlespeed
    No, I just always ride left up the path to the parking lot to get a little more gain. If you try to maintain any speed, it hurts. A lot.

mtbr member
    In California, you can night ride daily through winter. Get your light on and go out and play.
    Lead actor Will of the Sun, Author Platform Pedal Shootout 900K+ views

Low Rep Count
    ^^^^Bla, Bla, Bla... Whatever. If I could afford to move, find a good paying job, one that would pay more than I make now since everything costs more out there, I would move. But...that just isn't the case.

In any case, I'm glad to hear I did not miss a turn or something. I have been up to the parking lot and yes, you can feel the burn for sure. I might add, that at that path is the last time I saw my tail light. Oh well.

I made it out again today (in the day light though). It was beautiful outside and the temp was up there compared to a couple of days ago. As nice as it was, that means everything melted and the trail conditions sucked! Because everything was mush, it slowed me down and I hit my turn around time before I hit my turn around destination. Oh well, promised the my 7 year old I would be there to get her off the bus from school so that was the priority.

Untitled by got1spd at Garmin Connect - Details

I must say, my legs are blown and my lower back is a little tight at this point. My average speed sucked but what can you do when there is little traction??? Sure as hell beat being at work!!

Ovaries on the Outside
    Hey doowd, I was born in DC. How exciting is that ****?

Night riding is the only way I can get on the trails for hikers only around these parts...

Low Rep Count
    You know, I have a problem with the trails around here that are labeled as hikers only. There is one in particular that truly annoys me. You know, the one I rode yesterday right in the middle of the day. Screw'em!

Seriously, when was the last time you saw a frickn hiker out working next to you on a trail maintenance day? Aside from that, I have been on this particular trail, maybe 10 times over the past year and over that time I have seen less than 5 people out there walking.

In fact they seem so adimate about bikers not riding on this particular trail that it was not even included in the Moco Epic metric 100. Instead, the riders had to ride on the road on a two lane road that is more like one and a quarter wide, chewed up asphalt, country cut thru road. The trail actually parallels this road yet the park management apparently was more concerned about their rarely used portion of trail rather than rider safety. I tell ya, this road is so narrow that there isn't even a center line on it so obviously there aren't any side lines either.

Ok, I think you can see how I feel about that crap. I guess they will just have to chase me or something. Hopefully they will be on a horse or 4 wheeler or else they won't stand a chance. There are too many pop outs on that trail as well.

So, how did you end up out West?