mtbr member

First decent SS ride

Well i have just got back from my first official ss ride on the bike i built up myself, which is another first for me.
    WOW WOW & F&*KING WOW is all i can say, i have never before enjoyed a ride so much as this one, it wasnt too long, only about 10 miles or so with varying degree of hills and flat, i have been trying to sort out what gearing to go with so just bit the bullit and went with 32/18, not too far of near perfect for my area i think. I love the sound of silence you get from the drivetrain, not having to select the best gear for the upcoming hill either, also the look on the mtbkr you just passed going up hill and hes in the granny ring.
    i am just so stoked that everything went so sweet as this was my first complete bike build.looking forward to going out again tonight and as summer is just around the corner its gonna be a good one.
    Just thought i would share

Cheers.
    2010 Yeti ASR 7

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    cool, glad you stumbled apon what makes us happy!

mtbr member
    Isuckatriding, i was looking at your chainrings and cogs, do you ship international??
    2010 Yeti ASR 7

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwimtbr
    Isuckatriding, i was looking at your chainrings and cogs, do you ship international??
    yep! I send stuff your way all the time. Unfortunately i havent been there yet though

Dive Bomber
    @kiwimtbr
    Nice. Glad you like it.

Don't forget to post your bike pic, SS MTB is always the coolest bike for me.

meatier showers
    Let's see that bad girl.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    Went out again last night on a different track, it was awesome.

Going out again today so i will get some pics.
    2010 Yeti ASR 7

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Great isn't it? I havent ridden my geared MTB since I bought and built a SS at the end of August. I feel so much stronger on the bike now as well. Win win!

mtbr member
    Just got back from another ride on the new ss, i wont go on about how i love it as you all know why its so good
    Took a few pics to show you my ride, now it does have a tensioner on it but that will change next winter when im going to tear it down for a fresh powder coat and at the same time i was thinking of having the frame modded to take a eccentric BB. Jeff Anderson from Kiwibikes in Rotorua NZ does this mod, any other ideas on this are welcome.

Cheers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First decent SS ride-kona-copy.jpg  

First decent SS ride-kona3-copy.jpg  

2010 Yeti ASR 7

meatier showers
    Sweet. Paint job is reminiscent of an early '90s Specialized Rockhopper... I liked it then, too.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

nothing to see here
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwimtbr
    Took a few pics to show you my ride, now it does have a tensioner on it but that will change next winter when im going to tear it down for a fresh powder coat and at the same time i was thinking of having the frame modded to take a eccentric BB. Jeff Anderson from Kiwibikes in Rotorua NZ does this mod, any other ideas on this are welcome.

Cheers.
    Get a split shell conversion if you can. Most reliable of the different types.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

Dive Bomber
    Great bike.

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevob
    Get a split shell conversion if you can. Most reliable of the different types.
    Totally agree. Own one, in fact... love it. That said, I wouldn't rush to mod such a nice frame in such an invasive way. Personally I'd consider the FC EBB as a first resort.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Sweet. Paint job is reminiscent of an early '90s Specialized Rockhopper... I liked it then, too.

--sParty
    '89. I know because I own one.

Konas look nice.

mtbr member
    Just been playing round with the gearing, changed this week from a 32/18 to a 32/20 to see how different it was. Seems to make a big difference.
    Even though i managed to ride up most of the climbs on the 32/18 it was very hard, guess it will get better with time and practice.I put on the 32/20 and it was so much more enjoyable so i think i might stick with this for a while untill my legs tell me thay need the 18.
    Also thought i might start looking round for some new cranks that are compatable with a FC EBB, sounds like this is a common way to go, plus i am not liking the look of the tensioner.
    Cheers
    2010 Yeti ASR 7

Dive Bomber
    SS supposed to be fun.

I run 32x20 feels great, but when I am not in good condition it feels heavy LOL.