mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Finished my SS build *PICs

Originally I wanted a Steel 29'er for getting around town. Eventually I settled on an aluminum rigid 26er since I had a lot of parts laying around (cranks, wheels, bars, BB7, etc.)

Picked up the frame on CL for $40, and purchased the dimension mtn fork and other random goodies (fsa pig headset, gold kmc chain, gusset kit, BBG bashgaurd, etc). Currently I'm running 32x18 since I live in a hilly area.

Anyway, I'm blown away by the results. The frame was a great findľ in my size and I love the finish of it. Although I've done extensive work on my HT this is the first bike I've built from the ground up and it was an extremely rewarding experience. Especially breathing new life into old "junk" parts I had laying around.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Looks *****in. No rear brake?
    Opinions are like a**holes: Sometimes they need to be punched in the face and told to STFU.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SquishyPanda
    Looks *****in. No rear brake?
    thanks

yes I'm amazed at how it's supposed to be my beater bike essentially. It looks nicer than my main HT bike!

no rear brake... yet... as it was just an "around town" bike but we'll see how long that lasts

mtbr member
    Wow this looks great! What tensioner are you using?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by xcntrk75
    Wow this looks great! What tensioner are you using?
    at the time of this post... I'm not using one.

I first bought the sette spring loaded oneľ realized it was garbage before I took the bike off the lift

So I replaced it with the sette rennen copy (it's the one in the pictures where the bike is together). It was running perfectly until I swapped out the tires and skewer (other was too short) and it started to make the horrible "locomotion" bumping noise going over the tensioner. I spent the last two hours adding/removing links and trying to configure it a number of different ways.

finally I took the damn thing off and realized that the tension is pretty decent without a tensioner. there is probably 1/2" of play when I press up or down on the chain. I took it for a short spin and it seems damn good atm. will ride more and see what happens

Ovaries on the Outside
    Nice. Consider me jealous. I think the lack of rear brake will be fine- I think it will stop a mite faster than my cantis....

The need for singlespeed
    Looks stealthy--nice photography too.

Man up
    Sep 2010
    Nice bike, I always liked the Jamis lines.
    '08 GF Montare
    '10 Rockhopper SS
    Semper Fidelis
    02-10 SSGT of Marines
    (Most) always down for a ride in the Gville area

Low Rep Count
    Lookin good! I pretty much finished up my SS build last night as well but it looks no where near as nice as this set up! Guess you just have nicer parts lying around than I do.

mtbr member
    Cool bike - couldn't you work that Rollenlager copy to push up rather than push down to tension the chain? Maybe that would eliminate all the "chatter."

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by orion_134
    Nice bike, I always liked the Jamis lines.
    agreed! I love the way the frame hugs the rear wheel

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    Cool bike - couldn't you work that Rollenlager copy to push up rather than push down to tension the chain? Maybe that would eliminate all the "chatter."
    I tried that as well... still had the sound. The way the chain skipped over the roller caused it to hop up and down slightly– no matter how light the tension. it was a very light "duh duh duh duh duh". rideable but not how I envisioned SS.

it works perfectly without the tensioner. the drop out on the frame is more diagonal than vertical so i think that helped put tension on the chain

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SPD
    Lookin good! I pretty much finished up my SS build last night as well but it looks no where near as nice as this set up! Guess you just have nicer parts lying around than I do.
    thanks... all the parts were off of my HT. most of them got replaced because they were simply heavier. The wheels needed some spokes replaced and to be trued. I scrubbed and cleaned all the parts till they were new again

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Very nice! very, very nice!!

I had much the same experience as you regarding the rennen tensioner, good but noisy, and I have settled on the same solution as you..for now (fingers crossed the chain doesnt stretch much). Else the chain tension is quite perfect currently and my rigid-26er (what we called 'mountain bikes' back circa 1999) is rolling nice and feelin' good.

Low Rep Count
    I tried telling my wife that I scrubbed the parts until they were new again. Then she asked me about the box she found in the trash that had a packing list in it!

Seriously, I did the same thing in the beginning with my HT for my GT. I picked up a GT peace a few months back and swapped out a bunch of parts. The only stock thing on it now is the frame and seat clamp. All the parts I just slapped together last night for the most part are off the original GT Peace (minus the bars/stem that I put on my wifes when I built hers a few weeks ago) Good job none the less. Looks good and love the color! My GT is a shade lighter with a tint of blue in it. Sort of a flat blue/gray if you will.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SPD
    I tried telling my wife that I scrubbed the parts until they were new again.
    )

I got to try that!