Thread: Finished my SS!

I am Walt

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Finished my SS!

Here's the new rig:
    '04 Fetish Discipline, Surly New SS hubs, Sun 0 Degree rims, WTB Velociraptor 2.1's, 'Zocchi MX Comp fork, TruVativ Stylo SS 32T crankset (w/bashguard), Shimano 18T freewheel, Tahoma seat post, WTB saddle, Cane Creek S2 headset, Sun Ringle Evolution stem and riser bar, Salsa grips ( ), Cane Creek ergo bar ends. BB is Race Face Evolve SRX.

I specifically wanted bar ends on my SS, along with the riser bar, so I went with the Evolution alloy bar - very light.

Anyways, here 'tis:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Nice!

you can't go wrong with a black bike - nice build.

but my nuts hurt just looking at that saddle!

I'm sticky
    Aug 2004
    Sweet ride! Did you get the frame on eBay?

I picked up a pearly white '04 Discipline from eBay a few months ago (unfortunately, not the SS version - didn't want to spend the extra $50 at the time, but I wish I would have now). Mine has vertical dropouts, a derailleur hanger, and is missing the cool square seat/chain stays... but it'll still be a SS when I'm done with it! Full rigid though (most likely an Instigator fork).

A couple questions for ya:
    First and foremost, how does it ride?
    How much travel does the fork have?
    How does it fit? (What size frame and stem, and how tall are you?)

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by pcrap
    Sweet ride! Did you get the frame on eBay?

I picked up a pearly white '04 Discipline from eBay a few months ago (unfortunately, not the SS version - didn't want to spend the extra $50 at the time, but I wish I would have now). Mine has vertical dropouts, a derailleur hanger, and is missing the cool square seat/chain stays... but it'll still be a SS when I'm done with it! Full rigid though (most likely an Instigator fork).

One point of clarification: I had not done the fit fine-tuning when I took the pix, so the saddle angle, position and height and the bar-end angle hadn't been adjusted yet.

Answers:
    - I got the frame locally (Phoenix area) from a guy I hooked up with via this forum. I know they can be had on eBay for $149 - the '05's version of this is the same, but called 'Fixation'. Also can be purchased at Airpark Bike at 86th St. and Shea in Scottsdale - the owner of that also makes the Fetish frames.
    - Can't comment too much on the ride - only spun a bit around the streets and sidewalks in my neighborhood. Will advise after the weekend.
    - Fork is 85mm. I went with the '04 to get that (and a great price). The '05 has 105mm and is adjustable; don't know if you can get 85mm in the '05.
    - Frame is 19", seatpost is 350mm. I am 5'10 1/2" and the frame might be a bit big for me, but the 17" seemed too small. I'm compensating with fit adjustments and will be dialing it in on the first few rides. I don't need all of that seatpost, so I might cut it down.

I'm psyched to get on it, but need to wait a day or two until I get shin guards - I took 15 stitches in my shin last weekend and need to protect that.

Fun stuff!
    Ride more; post less...

I'm sticky
    Aug 2004
    Cool. Thanks for the info. Looking forward to a ride review. Wondering how it handles w/ a 85mm fork - I think the frame is designed around a 100mm fork. Should be a nice, quick handling bike.

I also found your thread in the AZ section - good stuff, answered some of my own questions too.

Is my rear tire flat?
    The angle of those bar ends is wicked. Try taking a header and leaving you nutz wrapped around a bar end. Nice looking build yo.

Cool. Thanks for the info. Looking forward to a ride review. Wondering how it handles w/ a 85mm fork - I think the frame is designed around a 100mm fork. Should be a nice, quick handling bike.

I also found your thread in the AZ section - good stuff, answered some of my own questions too.
    Back riding again in Sunny SoCal. Outskirts of Palm Springs.

banned
    Dec 2003
    I'll chime in, since I have the same bike. I bought mine at Airpark Cycles in Scottsdale, for $150.

- Rides great & is very stiff, good geometry. I am coming from a Klein HT SS conversion to this frame, and it does not have the ride quality the Klein had, but is still a steal for that price.

- I am running a 125mm Fox Vanilla on mine right now, and have done the 80mm Marz as well. I think the 100mm would be just right, just haven't come across a sweet enough deal yet to get me to switch.

- The 17" frame on my Fixation fits exactly right for how I like it. Measurements are almost i dentical to the Klein I came off of. I actually had the opportunity to pedal around for a few minutes on Walt's 19" yesterday after it was finished, and while the 19" wasn't TOO big, it just wouldn't have been as comfortable for me & my preference. I am also 5'10, and the stem I run is a 100mm RF Deus w/ 1.5" easton carbon riser bars.

Here's a pic of mine (wheels are now Mavic Crosslands):

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by dlbennett
    The angle of those bar ends is wicked. Try taking a header and leaving you nutz wrapped around a bar end. Nice looking build yo.
    I've since fine-tuned it and flattened those out.
    Ride more; post less...

I'm sticky
    Aug 2004
    Hey Waltaz and DownHillFast-

What diameter seatpost does the FC Discipline take??
    From what I can tell, it is a 27.2mm. What did you use?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

thinking of purchasing a Fixation!

Cool Bike! I'm glad to see that it's a Fetish. I'm thinking of buying a fixation frame from e-bay. I'm riding a Haro werx conversion now, it's a great bike but i'm sick to feeking death of chain tensioners, mine just went to crap. I saw the good deal on the fixation on e-bay and it sparked my interest. Can you guys who own one, give me all the info you can about the bike. Seatpost size, ride quality, and fit. I'm 6' 1" and about 215. I 'm looking at a 21" frame with a 23.5 " top tube. This is prety close to my Haro frame. Also will a 2.35 or 2.4 tire fit in the rear stay.
    Thanks for the info, and Merry X-Mas,
    Mcgruff

MTBR Tool
    Ditto here. Love the geometry on it - nice sharp handler w/o throwing you over the bars on every steep. I have the Noleen Mega Air which at 3lbs means I can keep the build around 24lbs even w/boat anchor Hayes discs on it.

Got mine from Airpark also - it was $149 and it's a 17". I'm 5'9 1/2" - quite a lot of seatpost showing but still w/in manufacturers specs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Srexy
    Ditto here. Love the geometry on it - nice sharp handler w/o throwing you over the bars on every steep. I have the Noleen Mega Air which at 3lbs means I can keep the build around 24lbs even w/boat anchor Hayes discs on it.

Got mine from Airpark also - it was $149 and it's a 17". I'm 5'9 1/2" - quite a lot of seatpost showing but still w/in manufacturers specs.

That's a sweet looking bike! I think I'm sold. How high is the bottom bracket from the floor. It looks like it has a lot of clearence.
    Mcgruff

MTBR Tool
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcgruff
    That's a sweet looking bike! I think I'm sold. How high is the bottom bracket from the floor. It looks like it has a lot of clearence.
    Mcgruff
    11 1/2" setup like this. I think the pic angles make it seem higher. I haven't been clouting pedals too much tho - so it can't be too bad...

I'm sticky
    Aug 2004
    To any FC owners out there...

What diameter seatpost does the Discipline need??

(Got a gift card for a LBS, and it's already burning a hole in the old pocket...)

Thanks.

MTBR Tool
    To any FC owners out there...

What diameter seatpost does the Discipline need??

(Got a gift card for a LBS, and it's already burning a hole in the old pocket...)

Thanks.
    27.2 - yes! BB is english.

mtbr member

Looks good Walt

Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    Here's the new rig:
    '04 Fetish Discipline, Surly New SS hubs, Sun 0 Degree rims, WTB Velociraptor 2.1's, 'Zocchi MX Comp fork, TruVativ Stylo SS 32T crankset (w/bashguard), Shimano 18T freewheel, Tahoma seat post, WTB saddle, Cane Creek S2 headset, Sun Ringle Evolution stem and riser bar, Salsa grips ( ), Cane Creek ergo bar ends. BB is Race Face Evolve SRX.

I specifically wanted bar ends on my SS, along with the riser bar, so I went with the Evolution alloy bar - very light.

Anyways, here 'tis:
    I'm glad you got the tire problem figured out! Looks good!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    what tire problem did you have Walt?
    Mcgruff

mtbr member

Very tight beads on the Sun Rims

Quote Originally Posted by Mcgruff
    what tire problem did you have Walt?
    Mcgruff
    It's the extremely tight fit with some tires on SunRims and the difficulty in getting the last bit of tire bead seated on the rim. I sold Walt those wheels and had them for about a season of riding with a couple of races...luckily I never got a flat during a race. For non-racing use, they're fine...it just takes a bit longer to change a flat.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by Nater
    It's the extremely tight fit with some tires on SunRims and the difficulty in getting the last bit of tire bead seated on the rim. I sold Walt those wheels and had them for about a season of riding with a couple of races...luckily I never got a flat during a race. For non-racing use, they're fine...it just takes a bit longer to change a flat.
    Sorry for not responding...been away from the 'puter for the last few days.

Yeah, the tires are real tight, but DownHillFast recommended dish soap and it worked great. I now carry a little vial of dish soap in my Camelback.

Confirming what Srexy said - 27.2 on the seatpost.

I'm 5'10 1/2" and have a 19" frame. After two rides, it feels perfect after tuning.

The bike rides very stiff, but handles great. Still need to get used to V-brakes after disc's for a couple of years, but I'm thrilled with it. It just feels FAST!

Walt
    Ride more; post less...