mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Fifteen G. / ethirteen SS cranks?

Anyone use these SS cranks, and if so, what is your thought on them? They look promising.

http://www.e13components.com/product_xc_ss.html

http://www.e13components.com/images/...xc_ss_main.jpg

mtbr member

I have one on order...

After looking at too many cranksets, I decided to get one. My original order came in but it was a 170mm length, I had ordered a 175mm so I'm still waiting. But, my LBS and I opened the box and looked at it carefully. Personally, I think it looks absolutely gorgeous!!! Very solidly built, flawless finish all over, 2 different sizes of chainring bolts (SS or ... the other thing...), tool to install the BB, all very well packaged.

Can't wait to get the 175mm and install it on my frame!!!

Johnnydrz

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Great Crank!

I recently purchased a 180mm SS model after having the Fifteen G triple for over a year. The triple was great and so far the SS version has been as well. I like the way ethirteen now includes the BB and tool with the crank. Be careful and follow the install directions carefully. Its a little different than others out there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I have the Fifteen G SS cranks at 180mm. Love them so far. Loosened up a bit after riding for about a week. Retorqued, and no problems since. Very stiff, and look great. The tool would have been nice to included. They say you can use 2-3/4 socket to put in the bottom bracket, and thats what I did, but there are some issues with that route. The 2-3/4 socket only comes in a 3/4 drive. So if you have a 1/2 or even 3/8 drive torque wrench you have to get adapters. The adapters can result in a false torque reading, and they cost $$ and so does the socket. It is best to have the tool.

I had my LBS put in the bottom bracket at no charge (cause he's cool like that). He was machinist by trade for many years and described the parts as a "Class A" fit with very close tolerances. High praise indeed.

On another note, the bottom bracket has taken some time to break-in. The pedals did not spin very free at initial installation, but are much more free now after 100 miles or so. LBS said this is a likely result of the close tolerances, and should improve dramatically after some miles.
    Stuffing our faces at an ever smaller table.

mtbr member
    Great Crankset! I've been hammering on my Fifteen G, SS crankset for about 3 months. Mine also loosened up after about a week, retorqued and it's been fine since. As OdinOrion stated the BB will feel tight for a while after initial installation, but spins freely after a few hundred miles. I'm sold on their product, the next build will definitelybe Fifteen G/E Thirteen. Nice to see that they are now including the BB & Install tool with the crankset, definite plus!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fifteen G. / ethirteen SS cranks?-fifteeng_ssg_800x600.jpg  

2008 Trek 69er SS
    2010 Vassago Jabberwocky SS

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Well, I ordered a pair of 180's, I cannot wait to get them. Thanks for all of the feedback!

I Void Waranties
    Devil cranks

SPECIFICATIONS
    Weight: 666 Grams
    BB Shell: 68, 68E, 73, 73E
    Chainline: 49.5mm
    Arm Lengths: 170, 175, 180
    The 1st production mountain bike was sold in 1984.
    Anti EBB

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Love mine - have them running a SS Belt drive. Setup was easy and they are super stiff.

mtbr member
    Agree with all the previous accolades.

Do take the time to do the install correctly especially the number of "washers" (can't remember the proper name without caffeine) against the non-drive side. Also, during my install, I had to do a fair bit of disassemby and reassembly due to trying to get my EBB to stop creaking. Got that fixed, but my crankset wanted to loosen. A dab of blue threadlock on the threads of the non-drive side crankarm attaching bolt cured that.

Oh, another thing: I happened to be perusing the Competitive Cyclist site when I noticed they said the bearings used in the fifteenG/e-thirteen BB are the same diameter as the well-regarded BB30. I thought that was cool as these bearings are the largest used in most commonly available cranksets.

I am running 180mm crankarms and have ditched my bashring. Now waiting on my Rotor SS ring to arrive. Can't wait!

mtbr member
    Well, it seems I won't be getting the 175's... NO STOCK !!! Even on-line, they aren't available. 180's are available but I don't know if those would be too long, I'm 5'6", on a small sized frame. Has anyone tried going from 175mm to 180mm for cranks? Is it "performance impacting"?

Johnnydrz

local trails rider
    Are you sure the 170s are too short for you? You are not all that tall... I think many people of your height use 170 mm cranks. 180 mm might make the pedaling circle bigger than is really good for your knees.

Shorter cranks should be easier to spin. so you could try slightly lower gearing.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    I can could spin faster on 170's, but powering up the hills would be harder....170 provides less leverage than 175's.... as far as I know...

local trails rider
    Lower gearing would give you more leverage. Besides, a 10mm difference in ground clearance can be significant if you ever go near any rocks and roots.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    ... I just read a ton of stuff on crank arm length.... gotta headache now... There is obviously no consensus on what's the best size is for one person...

mtbr member
    Some people perceive the 5mm difference, some don't. I don't want to spend $300 on the 170's just to find out that I would prefer the 175's. I buy a lot of tires because I ride in different conditions and there are major improvements in performance with many of them. But cranks are another story...

local trails rider
    Here's my favorite statement on crank length:

"I think people really obsess too much about crank length."
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/cranks.html

... I do not consider Uncle Sheldon (RIP) a god. Just a guy who knew a lot about bikes and riding.

Same thing goes for Zinn who sells loooong cranks for people with longer than average legs.
    http://www.zinncycles.com/cranks.php

mtbr member
    I think you are right about this, people (me included!) obsess too much about crank length...

Johnnydrz

Let's Go!
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnydrz
    Some people perceive the 5mm difference, some don't. I don't want to spend $300 on the 170's just to find out that I would prefer the 175's. ...
    I agree with this. I recently blew out the splines on a Race Face crank that was 175mm. I threw on an old Sugino that is 170mm and noticed the difference immediately. I confess to being more of a masher than a spinner (I stand up 90+% of the ride) so that may have something to do with the sensation of having less leverage. I put on a set of converted xt 175s and again noticed the difference right away. I am in the process of building a Niner SIR ss and am considering going with 180s - I'm kinda old though so the guys that mentioned taking care of the knees also rings a bell with me. Like the man said: Everybody is different. You pretty much HAVE to experiment until you find what works for YOU.

mtbr member
    Even though I'm 52 years-young, and 132lbs, I'm not a spinner at all. I stand most of the time and push hard.

Johnnydrz

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Hive Cranks

I have used them on a Spot Brand with Carbon Drive belt.
    Excellent! Has never needed any attention.

http://gallery.mtbr.com/showphoto.ph.../ppuser/406994

mtbr member
    I have had no issues with mine other than a bit of creaking. I replaced the plasitc BB spacers with aluminum spacers and no more creaking. Really easy to remove/replace compared to some of the Shimano stuff I have on other bikes.
    thx, Phred
    I know my parents hated me, because my bath toys were a toaster and a radio.

metrotuned WoS
    perttime: Funny, I've been thinking this ever since ditching my 180mm XTR 970 SS cranks - they were too tall and low, not good for singletrack over rocks and roots (pedal strike). Plus there wasn't much torque improvement in reality although you'll hear plenty of MTBR members waxing poetic about 180mm crankarms benefits of torque.

I would consider myself a clyde and taller than most at 6'1". 175mm is the sweet spot for MTB. On my other ride, I'm rocking 165mm and I have no problem torquing the ride up hills. I actually really like 165s! perttime you speak of Zinn, that dude has some serious scare tactics for longer cranks out of bias but he does have some good wisdom to share in his writings!
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout