Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    7

    Feeling sick and nauseous whole day during and after cycling

    Hi there,
    I have just built a new SS mtb for myself, everything looked fine, but after a few days, I realized that I start feeling really bad, sick feeling like nausea after 10 minutes or so during my ride, and it keeps going on during the whole day, even hours after I stopped cycling. It's not as hard as I would throw up, but it is definitely there and hard enough to ruin my rides.

    I have read a lot of articles for a possible reason, but none of them seemed to be a similar kind of sick feeling like mine.

    I have always been riding a bicycle, so I have experienced the regular sicknesses that could come from overloading the body, low blood sugar level, dehydration, digestive problems, etc.

    But my bad feelings are totally different. I feel sick like one when reading a book at a rear seat of a car which is leaning continuously side-side on a mountain road. So its like my problem would caused by some kind of a physical effect rather than a change in the biological operation of my body.

    At first I thought it is the tyres are pumped up way too much, so I thought that the bikes "shake me up" continuously. I usually put 4 bars in my other bike, which has a suspension, but here 4 bars looks very much, so I released the pressure to as low as 2.0 bars in several steps. It became more and more comfortable, but the sick feeling remained. I start riding, 10 minutes later I'm starting to feel bad. The gear ratio is 18/38 so this one is a slow city bike, I don't even sweat when I finish my daily commute of 15km-s, so I don't think I would stress my body out.
    (Earlier, on my other bike, when I pushed real hard to maintain 35 kmph average, once I measured that I got 220 heart bpm, then I felt really sick, but that was a totally different sickness feeling, and went away completely after 10 minutes break.)

    This one however remains during the whole day and very annoying. Sometimes it's stronger, sometimes it's better, eating makes a little better for while but later it comes back. After sleeping, the next day, I feel fine.

    I'm pretty sure it is derived from a kind of a continuous mechanical impact, I just cant think of what the reason could be. Tyres are new, wheels are new, all bearings are new, chainline straight, seat, crank, pedals, bar are all set to the same I'm used to use on all my bikes, which don't make me any problems.

    Does anyone of you guys experienced or heard of anything similar?
    I'd really like to solve it to be able to enjoy my new bike.

    Thank you for reading, sorry for being so long!

    Cheers,
    fmarton

    the bike:

    Feeling sick and nauseous whole day during and after cycling-2017-08-14-18.26.15.jpgFeeling sick and nauseous whole day during and after cycling-2017-08-14-18.27.09.jpgFeeling sick and nauseous whole day during and after cycling-2017-08-14-18.27.24.jpgFeeling sick and nauseous whole day during and after cycling-2017-08-15-17.39.01.jpgFeeling sick and nauseous whole day during and after cycling-2017-08-15-17.39.22.jpg

  2. #2
    Cycologist
    Reputation: chazpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,684
    Nice looking bike.

    The only thing I can think of, is it forcing you to stand a lot to pedal and you aren't used to standing? Even that, I'm not sure how it would affect you in such a way, unless you have some type of inner ear balance problem and I would think you would have some issue on any bike if that were the case.

    Is the bike the right size for you? Maybe a really bad position has you focusing your eyes in a way as to not be properly seeing the movement (as what happens in a moving car if you are reading). That looks like a lot of seat to handlebar drop. Is that similar to how your other bikes are set up?
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1) Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

  3. #3
    Workin for the weekend!
    Reputation: -Todd-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,304
    Maybe you're pregnant?
    Todd

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by fmarton View Post
    I have read a lot of articles for a possible reason, but none of them seemed to be a similar kind of sick feeling like mine.
    Stop asking the internet and go to a doctor.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Velobike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    6,604
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott n View Post
    Stop asking the internet and go to a doctor.
    That.

    But if you're wearing varifocal glasses you can get such an effect on bumpy stuff when you're riding rigid. Like feeling seasick, or flicking through microfilm too fast.

    I look over mine when riding on rough stuff. Also look further ahead.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    That.

    But if you're wearing varifocal glasses you can get such an effect on bumpy stuff when you're riding rigid. Like feeling seasick, or flicking through microfilm too fast.

    I look over mine when riding on rough stuff. Also look further ahead.
    How does that account for him feeling sick hours after he's done riding?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    7
    Thank you! I also really like how it looks. It started to be a cheap bike project, as my earlier scott with hydra breaks and suspension was stolen. However finally it wasn't that cheap as originally planned but still under 400 USD including paintwork.

    In fact I stand less on this one comparing to my other bikes because of it's so low gear, and the frame is just the right size. The seat height is set properly for my legs. I don't have balance problem, I'm fine on other bikes as well as on my motorbike.

    However, your point about the focusing point makes sense really. I think it is somewhere the same as it was on my previous MTB, but I might considering raising the bar a little and see what happens. Maybe the different angle of the upper body, neck, head will have some effect on my symptoms.

    The other thing I can think of its the low gear of 18/38. For me it is really low, which is nice at climbing bridges, etc, on flat street, but I rest much more than I usually do, as I can't (don't want to) spin higher rpm. And because of spending more time freewheeling, I also sit more in the saddle or standing out, which causes fatigue for my hands and butt. I'm not sure how it would affect my sick feeling, but I will swap the front gear to a 44T anyway to achieve a gear ratio I'm more used to.

    Thank you for your help!

    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    Nice looking bike.

    The only thing I can think of, is it forcing you to stand a lot to pedal and you aren't used to standing? Even that, I'm not sure how it would affect you in such a way, unless you have some type of inner ear balance problem and I would think you would have some issue on any bike if that were the case.

    Is the bike the right size for you? Maybe a really bad position has you focusing your eyes in a way as to not be properly seeing the movement (as what happens in a moving car if you are reading). That looks like a lot of seat to handlebar drop. Is that similar to how your other bikes are set up?

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    7
    Oops, I really hope that I'm not, being a guy!

    Quote Originally Posted by -Todd- View Post
    Maybe you're pregnant?

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    7
    Thank you! That would be amongst my guesses if I worn glasses, but thanks god I don't have to wear them (yet)

    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    That.

    But if you're wearing varifocal glasses you can get such an effect on bumpy stuff when you're riding rigid. Like feeling seasick, or flicking through microfilm too fast.

    I look over mine when riding on rough stuff. Also look further ahead.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    7
    Yeah, thanks, easy answer, of course, I surely will if I can't find the reason.
    But asking others for similar experiences, tips that I can try or possible solutions does not make any harm to anyone. I'm really sorry if it does to you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott n View Post
    Stop asking the internet and go to a doctor.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by fmarton View Post
    Yeah, thanks, easy answer, of course, I surely will if I can't find the reason.
    But asking others for similar experiences, tips that I can try or possible solutions does not make any harm to anyone. I'm really sorry if it does to you.
    If you're feeling sick the entire day after riding it's not your glasses, or your bike. That's something with your body. Keep in mind you are coming onto the internet with a problem that makes you physically ill for hours and asking a bunch of strangers to diagnose you. This is shear stupidity.

    Side note, you did a nice looking build on your bike.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Velobike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    6,604
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott n View Post
    How does that account for him feeling sick hours after he's done riding?
    No idea, but it just does. Exactly like it happens after flicking through microfilm. When I got varifocals I recognised the symptoms and avoided the issue getting worse. I used to feel nausea for hours after extended periods of flicking through microfilm when doing research. I'm pretty sure it's the same process as seasickness (but I don't get seasick ).
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    7
    Well, it seems like you put me in the right direction, along with Velobike's tips for looking farer. On my way to home I continuously forced myself to look only as far as I can, and it seemed like I did not have any issue, or only a very little, that can even be a remainder of my morning ride.

    Further analysed the problem, and I figured out that a few days ago, when I realized this sick feeling and also that it might caused by the shaking of riding this rigid forked bike with 4 bars tyres, I started to stare the way in front of me. I always looked for the right track to avoid rolling through anything that can shake me up any further.
    My theory is that this very stupid habit I developed during the week caused all my problems as looking closely the running ground, and jumping my eyes from spot to spot induced a seasick effect just like the mentioned micro film.

    I know, call me a stupid, but I didn't thought of this until you guys called my attention to it, particularly because earlier I never had such problems in similar situations, not one time and I have been riding bicycles for 30 years...

    I will confirm later when I can test it out 100% but I guess this will be the reason.

    Thank you all for your help, I'm really happy that I found this forum with so many helpful fellas with great ideas!


    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    Nice looking bike.

    The only thing I can think of, is it forcing you to stand a lot to pedal and you aren't used to standing? Even that, I'm not sure how it would affect you in such a way, unless you have some type of inner ear balance problem and I would think you would have some issue on any bike if that were the case.

    Is the bike the right size for you? Maybe a really bad position has you focusing your eyes in a way as to not be properly seeing the movement (as what happens in a moving car if you are reading). That looks like a lot of seat to handlebar drop. Is that similar to how your other bikes are set up?

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: socal_jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,227
    Uterus dragging? Jk
    ROS9+ SS
    ROS9 SS
    GT Peace 9R SS

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ARandomBiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    2,003
    Just a hip-pocket guess, but this sounds like a vestibular issue, the 'inner ear balance system' is getting disturbed. The messages this system is sending to your brain are not matching what your eyes are sending, and it's confusing the brain.

    I would see an ear/nose/throat doctor, or a even better, a physical therapist. Both are well trained sort out the cause, and either treat the symptoms, or point you to a specialist who can.
    Don’t modify the trail to match your skills, modify your skills to match the trails.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    7
    Thank you!
    I will definitely need such an inspection, as the problem still persist.
    After trying to focus farer it looked like its getting better, but it seems like that won't solve my problem.
    Since then I have upgraded the gear ration to 44/18, and also added a new stem for slightly increased bar height (and massive improvement of design ), so it's now getting really perfect for me to ride. Also tighten a little on the wheel bearings as they were a little loose.
    The only shadow on the road is this motion sickness, that I never discovered on other bikes nor motorbikes or cars.

    I will keep you updated, maybe will help someone else too in the future.

    Feeling sick and nauseous whole day during and after cycling-2017-08-29-10.31.38.jpgFeeling sick and nauseous whole day during and after cycling-2017-08-29-10.31.56.jpg


    Quote Originally Posted by ARandomBiker View Post
    Just a hip-pocket guess, but this sounds like a vestibular issue, the 'inner ear balance system' is getting disturbed. The messages this system is sending to your brain are not matching what your eyes are sending, and it's confusing the brain.

    I would see an ear/nose/throat doctor, or a even better, a physical therapist. Both are well trained sort out the cause, and either treat the symptoms, or point you to a specialist who can.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 36
    Last Post: 09-17-2014, 04:19 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-23-2014, 04:27 AM
  3. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-29-2013, 02:50 PM
  4. Why do i feel sick after every ride?
    By Mattlikestobike in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 10-27-2011, 07:26 PM
  5. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 09-21-2011, 02:32 PM

Members who have read this thread: 100

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •