mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Feedback on Blackspire Stinger as a tensioner?

Anyone using a stinger as a SS tensioner? Or am I better off buying something like the Soulcraft Convert?

I've used Stinger as a dual ring guide and it worked fine. Runs much cheaper than most other SS tensioners so I thought this may be an idea.

nocturnal oblivion
    Good question...
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

habitual line-stepper
    you should also check out the yess etr-b: http://labs.yesspro.com/products/etr-b

there's a write-up floating around mtbr for the etr-b too. though if you already have the stinger, might as well try it. the only downside i can think of is trying to dial in chain tension.
    Quote Originally Posted by vBulletin
    The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I do indeed have a stinger already and got the chance to put it on last night. Need to get some more test rides in, but so far so good. The roller is easily adjustable with an allen wrench. You can move it about 1cm up and down. But if you need to adjust anymore than that, you need to remove cranks.

The yess tensioner has the a bolt at that pivot so it shouldn't be an issue with that one.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Finally had some first hand experience with the Soulcraft Convert, and while it's a neat idea, I don't like it. It has a toggle so you can disconnect it for easy wheel removals. However, it also allows some slop in the interface, which means when it always releases tension after you tighten it down. Also, there' no good way to keep the arm fixed in place, so really cranking it down tends to rotate the arm.

Uncle

Bump -- Stinger pics?

Quote Originally Posted by JHANguyen
    I do indeed have a stinger already and got the chance to put it on last night. Need to get some more test rides in, but so far so good. The roller is easily adjustable with an allen wrench. You can move it about 1cm up and down. But if you need to adjust anymore than that, you need to remove cranks.

The yess tensioner has the a bolt at that pivot so it shouldn't be an issue with that one.
    JHANguyen, would you please post a few pics of the stinger installed, and specifically, the adjustable part? Considering this for my winter SS mode attempt.

Thanks.
    -E in the E.B.
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.