mtbr member
    May 2011

New question here. The feasibility of building a SS all mountain bike using KHS DJ 300 frame?

I'm interested in putting together a modern looking single speed for all mountain, maybe front shocks, of course disc brakes and alot of the newer equips. On wheelworld.com they got this lovely looking frame that appears prime for a single speed build with adjustable dropouts, a nice looking geometry, very solid looking frame. But for the purpose of all mountain, does anyone feel that this frame, while nice looking, is a bit too cheap to take the abuse?

http://wheelworld.com/product/khs-08...frame-7537.htm

and perhaps this crankset, although i'd prefer a 1/8" chainring if i can find it.

http://wheelworld.com/product/race-f...xc-ss-8174.htm

I live a few blocks away from wheelworld and if this frame is good in you guys' opinions I would definitely have no issues going forward. Thanks in advance.

5/22/2011 UPDATE: Ok, well I pulled the trigger on the KHS DJ300 at Wheelworld, picked it up in person after leaving the store and still deciding, then came home and drove back to get it because they only had 1 hanging on the ceiling. I was afraid I might miss the opportunity and regret it later.

I guess I'll make this thread about my current build and ask for advice that I have not been able to get through searching the forum. Right now I have an issue, I've decided on getting the square taper BB Shimano UN54 because it's cheap and somewhat reliable. What I have not been able to finalize is the size, I measured my frame and it definitely is 68mm shell, so i know the BB will have 68mm x XXX, because I also have not decided on a crankset, what is the safest spindle size I should buy to ensure that it will work with whatever crankset I get later on? Do i need to buy a few spacers for the bottom bracket or spindle for safety? and also, does the UN54 BB require any end caps to stop dust from getting in?
    Last edited by Scarier; 05-22-2011 at 08:28 PM.

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    those are some great deals on the frame and the cranks. being a DJ frame, the DJ300 will have some geometry that lends itself to AM. it has a short TT (<22in) and a slack head tube angle (71deg). and if it's designed for dirt jumping, i'm sure it will hold up fine to AM use.

don't worry about the 1/8in chainring. just run the multi-speed ring it comes with.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Man this got expensive really fast, I ordered the rest of the components on JensonUSA and I think I'm down about 1k on a single speed lol. I hope it's everything I've imagined it to be. Will be fun learning how to put it together.

The need for singlespeed
    Well whatever happened with this?