Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Favorite Chain - SS29er

I know this has probably been discussed before, but i didnt find much in my search.

I broke my chain twice in the last week on a tough climb and I am looking to replace it with te toughest chain i can buy.

I was looking at the kmc chains like this:

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/206...peed-Chain.htm

but wasnt sure what the 1/8" or 3/32" meant......and if it would stand up to dirt, mud......general abuse.

My setup is pretty simple....running the typical 32 x 18 gearing (at least normal here) stock on a gary fisher rig.

so guys, any advice?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I have a D101 on my track bike. It's nice for that purpose but still it's pretty heavy... one full pound. But it runs nice and I can trust it. On my Selma I have the KMC X-9SL and it's been great this year. My XTR chain runs fantastically too. I've really started liking high end 9spd chains over 1/8" SS chains. I'll put a 9spd chain on my track bike as soon as I need to replace the chaining so I can swap to a 3/32 drivetrain.

1/8 and 3/32 is the width of the chain. Your drivetrain can be 3/32 (8/9spd) or 1/8. An 1/8 chain can be run on a 3/32 drivetrain, but not the other way around.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Good to hear. It may be my riding style causing this, because i am a masher rather than a smooth spinner (6' - 200lbs with gear). I recently converted back from a 32 x 16 setup to a 32 x 18 because i thought that was breaking chains.

I am ok on the weight penalty if it is that much more reliable, but you have me concerned on the 1/8" vs. 3/32", sounds like i need steer away from the D101 and more towards an 8 speed chain?

Or am i reading this wrong?

Thanks again for the help.

mtbr member
    I'm 6'3 ,215 and use a SRAM PC-850 on my SS with good results. When I was 235, I broke a couple of KMC Z610 1/8 chains which steered me away from them.

RLK
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Another vote for the SRAM 8-speed chain.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    +1 for SRAM 8-speed, I read this before I ever started SS.

http://surlybikes.com/blog/spew/3_-_...d_drivetrains/

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Sram 850 or 870. I think jenson or pricepoint is selling last years chains and they are heavily discounted.

Surly sums it up perfectly in that blog.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    KMC K810 or the KMC K810SL if you can find it. Been running them for years never broke one.

mtbr member
    I have been running a SRAM 870 on my SS since new.

I did break one at a race this Summer, but I think I had the chain too tight, which could be your issue as well. It on;y had 400-500 miles on it, at the most.

Never Satisfied...
    Jan 2009
    SRAM 8-speed chain here.... PC-890

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker
    I have a D101 on my track bike. It's nice for that purpose but still it's pretty heavy... one full pound. But it runs nice and I can trust it. On my Selma I have the KMC X-9SL and it's been great this year. My XTR chain runs fantastically too. I've really started liking high end 9spd chains over 1/8" SS chains. I'll put a 9spd chain on my track bike as soon as I need to replace the chaining so I can swap to a 3/32 drivetrain.

1/8 and 3/32 is the width of the chain. Your drivetrain can be 3/32 (8/9spd) or 1/8. An 1/8 chain can be run on a 3/32 drivetrain, but not the other way around.
    a 9 speed chain is not 3/32". It's about 10% narrower. Sometimes this causes issues with fitting on singlespeed cogs and chainrings.

Ovaries on the Outside
    I use SRAM 8 speed... but on smaller hoops. It might not work well with 29ers.

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    i use 1/8in ring and cog, and a SRAM PC7X chain.

is buachail foighneach me
    Sram 8sp chains for the last 6 years now. Ran kmc 410h's for about 6 years before that. They break about as often as each other but the srams are lighter.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    What chains were you using which broke? How did you join the chain together?

I suspect it may not be the chain's fault, and something else is causing the chain to break.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I am running whatever came on my Rig from Fisher. I am going to take the forums advice and try one of the 8 speed chains......could be my old one is just worn out....it happens.

Obviously Single

Belt Drive?

I (like many others) use SRAM 8-speed chains, but I have been thinking about changing to a belt drive, since belt seems to need less maintenance.

Anybody have an opinion on belt drive reliability and strength? (Oh yeah, and cost.)
    The Lee-Man

A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeMan
    Anybody have an opinion on belt drive reliability and strength? (Oh yeah, and cost.)
    Belt drive is NOT maintenance free. My opinion is stay with chain; there's a reason it's stuck around so long.

L09erdr
    Wow cant believe how many here are saying to run a multispeed chain on a SS bike. Run what you like I suppose but I always say a SS specific drivetrain needs a SS specific chain (within reason) depends on the situation and cog/chainring type. Same goes for 1/8 or 3/32 chains/cogs. The proper thing to do is match chain size with your chainwheel/cog teeth size. More wear and tear can occour if you decide to mismatch.

To the original poster, are you setting your chain tension too tight? You should have about 1/4 to 1/2 ich of play in your chain. The tighter you tension your chain the more overall constant stress it puts on the chain not only while pedaling normally but when your mashing as well.

Seabass_ The Z610 is a 3/32 chain... You must have had and broke the z510 which is a 1/8 chain. Thats a strong chain to break either way high tensile strength. What part of it roke a sideplate or did you not have one of the pins properly set?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Anyone here run a KMC S1 1/8 ss chain? How have you found them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by L09erdr
    Wow cant believe how many here are saying to run a multispeed chain on a SS bike. Run what you like I suppose but I always say a SS specific drivetrain needs a SS specific chain...
    Uh, no. A multispeed chain works fine, and generally multispeed chains are the highest quality and among the strongest.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Kmc 710sl

mtbr member
    Seabass_ The Z610 is a 3/32 chain... You must have had and broke the z510 which is a 1/8 chain. Thats a strong chain to break either way high tensile strength. What part of it roke a sideplate or did you not have one of the pins properly set?

My bad, it was the z410. A sideplate just broke off during a climb causing me to smash the jewels on the top tube! I posted pics here.

WTF happened here????

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricone
    Anyone here run a KMC S1 1/8 ss chain? How have you found them.
    See post 21

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Wow cant believe how many here are saying to run a multispeed chain on a SS bike...?
    I think the fella's over at Surly said it best here: http://surlybikes.com/blog/spew/3_-_...d_drivetrains/

Quote Originally Posted by Surly
    4. 1/2x1/8" chains vs. 1/2x3/32" chains. 1/2x1/8" chains suck. Run whatever you want, but bigger isn't better here. Yeah, they're wider, but according to manufacturer-supplied data, they're not stronger and they are definitely not of better quality. Multi-speed drivetrains is where the bucks are at, and chains that work on such drivetrains are where the manufacturers of chains showcase their innovations and developments in quality. The rollers are better, the plates are better, the pins are stronger, and the construction method (riveting procedure) is better on all multi-speed 3/32" chains.
    I didn't base my decision on chains because Surly said so, I based it on my own experience. Surly just took the time to properly put it on paper.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast