Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Faster on ss??

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Faster on ss??

In the last 10 daysi i have ridden a 15 mile loop on my scalpel(geared),My air9 (geared) and my 26 orbea scape SS.The scalpel was the slowest .The air 9 was 3min faster and the SS was 20sec faster than the Air9.Im really surprised.I just knew my SS was slow.I think riding the SS I attack the course more to keep up momentum and clear steep ups.The other bikes I felt I was riding just as hard effort wise but problably not attacking stuff.Now the big question is what would happen if I had a 29r SS? All my ride were about the same time of day under similar weather.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by speedyd
    In the last 10 daysi i have ridden a 15 mile loop on my scalpel(geared),My air9 (geared) and my 26 orbea scape SS.The scalpel was the slowest .The air 9 was 3min faster and the SS was 20sec faster than the Air9.Im really surprised.I just knew my SS was slow.I think riding the SS I attack the course more to keep up momentum and clear steep ups.The other bikes I felt I was riding just as hard effort wise but problably not attacking stuff.Now the big question is what would happen if I had a 29r SS? All my ride were about the same time of day under similar weather.
    I have heard arguments both ways (faster on a SS, no way could one be faster on a SS). For me, there is a factor of going too hard on a geared bike and paying the price, versus the SS keeping me from going too hard (mostly using too large of a gear in flat fast sections when geared). The SS will help you recover in these sections and allow you to go harder on the climbs because you are recovered.

Not sure that I want to say much about the 26 VS 29 argument as I question that myself at least twice a year. I will say that for me, the 29er seems to hold momentum better than the 26 and the SS is all about momentum for me. When I question what wheel size would be better for me, it is on a geared bike BUT if I am racing my SS, the answer is always 29 even though I have a sweet 26 SS in the house.

Now the final part of the equation is a fast rider can be a fast rider regardless of wheel size or gearing choices.
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    The biggest determining factor is the course or trail you are riding.

If you take the single speed on a trail that has lots of flats or rolling hills where you run out of gear the single speed is going to be WAY slower.

If you take it on a trail that has steep climbs and steep descents the single speed might have the advantage since you are forced to push a tough gear (this is assuming you don't get off the bike and walk certain sections and you don't run out of gear on the dh)

All this 26 vs 29 has been beat to death.

I ride a 29er and the most important thing to me is the fun factor. Sure a 26 might(who knows) be a little faster on the uphill but the momentum you carry on a 29er is an advantage and it's so much fun!!!!

All i can say is ride a 29er or ride with someone who has a ss 29er and follow them down a flowy section of singletrack. It's ridiculous how they keep their momentum.
    When i get stuck behind someone on a 26 i can watch them pedal and i can just coast for a bit and keep up, especially if there are waterbars or little pump sections.
    This all relates back to learning how to ride a single speed. (Stay off the brakes as much as possible, utilize any possible feature and ride it like a pump track and pick the cleanest lines that won't slow you down.

I use to ride a 26 ss and i figured once i got the 29er i would be way faster.
    I might be faster but it's not a night and day difference and i can't really tell.

Timing yourself on different bikes seems kind of funny. So many variables that can change from ride to ride that it seems impossible to have a final judgement.

If i had multiple bikes i would probably do the same thing though

Quote Originally Posted by speedyd

SSOD
    I agree with manicmtbr about going too hard on my geared bike and paying for it. I ride ss 95% of the time so when I ride geared it always seems like I'm faster but usually end up with the same times. I think depending on the trail( terrain and distance) both can have more/less advantages.

But I really believe that they are two different monsters (ss vs geared) and dedicated training on one can make either the faster of the two. I think you would have to do a full season of riding and training and compare times to validate this.

Also believe 29er and 26er are two different monsters and same could be said about that argument.

30-ton War Machine
    there is a reason they send the SS class out on course first...

mtbr member
    all i ride is ss and i can keep up with several of the local pro's going uphill on their geared bikes.

as for the 29er thing i was 1 second faster on a 29er over a short 10 mile race loop at race pace. personally i find the 26 more fun because it is a little more flickable and overall i find a more fun ride, as for going dh on a 29er following a 26er i still fly by everyone on a rigid 26er and it don't matter who. the only people faster on the dh is those with long travel bikes on more technical decents, other than that i find the 26 and 29 pretty equal.
    Ride & Smile

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Matt
    as for going dh on a 29er following a 26er i still fly by everyone on a rigid 26er and it don't matter who. the only people faster on the dh is those with long travel bikes on more technical decents.

Dooooood, you're so bad azz, why don't you share some of your mojo with me so I can ride my sons 20 inch wheels faster than anyone, don't matter who!

Retro Grouch
    , as for going dh on a 29er following a 26er i still fly by everyone on a rigid 26er and it don't matter who. the only people faster on the dh is those with long travel bikes on more technical decents, other than that i find the 26 and 29 pretty equal.
    You seem to have a strong grasp on the obvious. You mean suspension makes you faster riding downhill? Who'd have thunk it?
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

Got a suspension fork
    Recently got a rigid ss and I am clocking identical times to my 29er FS Hei Hei. I know that if I put a suspension fork on the ss I'd improve times even more - but it's great just the way it is.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by aka brad
    You seem to have a strong grasp on the obvious. You mean suspension makes you faster riding downhill? Who'd have thunk it?
    he's just trying to make it easier to comprehend for the older folks on this board. apparently it's working.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    all i ride is ss and i can keep up with several of the local pro's going uphill on their geared bikes.
    as for going dh on a 29er following a 26er i still fly by everyone on a rigid 26er and it don't matter who.
    LOL
    your E-penis must be huge.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

LOL your E-penis must be huge.

LOL. dewd, what's up with all the penis references on your post's? can you say complex?

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by chesterdawg
    LOL. dewd, what's up with all the penis references on your post's? can you say complex?
    hey to be fair, i wasnt the one to bring it up in the other thread lol

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding
    hey to be fair, i wasnt the one to bring it up in the other thread lol
    To be fair, ISAR is only summing up what most reference in their posts, and recently, the SS forum is a dick measuring tool.

Quote Originally Posted by cbrock450
    All this 26 vs 29 has been beat to death.
    True. Thanks for your additional three paragraphs of beating.

To the OP- I really, really like SS. 100% of my rides this year are on SS and luckily it doesn't slow me down with the group I ride with. There are places I might be able to ride with gears that I can't with SS, but just a couple places.

mtbr member
    i had no idea i would get so torn up about that statement. my e-butthole just got ripped, damn.
    Ride & Smile

mtbr member
    Terrain makes the difference no doubt.

My local, close to home trail is about 16 miles and maybe 1000 ft climbing so its pretty flat, on my 29er geared hardtail I can average 11+ mph. Take my 29er rigid SS with 32x20 gearing I spin out too much on the flats and can't get to 11 mph, 10.5 is tops I've had.

Problem is I ride the SS on other trails where a 16 mile loop is 2500 ft climbing or more and I need the 32x20 gearing. I can ride that trail just as fast and maybe faster then my geared bike.

Guess I need to get stronger and switch to 32x18 gearing!!!

You know my steez...
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrock450
    If you take it on a trail that has steep climbs and steep descents the single speed might have the advantage since you are forced to push a tough gear
    This is true for me.

I never believed the "I'm faster on my SS than my geared bike" stories until I built my own. Of course there are plenty of places where I'm slower on my SS. Obviously there are tons of variables that can affect speed.

Someone already said that a truly fast rider will be fast no matter what kind of bike they're on. Thatís the bottom line!
    I'm unique, just like everyone else....

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I think for shorter rides a ss is faster. I've done Leadville twice. The first time on gears in 9:07 and the next year on a 33x21 ss in 9:57. Of course I was much slower on the flats and passed 100's on the climbs. Although Leadville was less effort on gears and i finished stronger, it was more fun on the SS.

mtbr member
    I find that singlespeed does make me change my riding style to attack hills more as that may be the only chance I have to clear some on my local trails. This has forced a natural improvement in both climbing power and technique over several years of exclusivley SS-ing. I also agree with the comment about the course making the biggest difference. But I improved my avg speeds significantly on my local trails when I switched from GFS to SS. ymmv

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I agree that I seem faster on my SS. Just not sure if I attribute it to the bike or the lack if gears forcing you to ride harder and smarter.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Today I was squinting at the thread titles and I think that breathes new life into them.

Unfortunately for me, I do have family commitments on holidays, so I can't SS on Easter.

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth
    Today I was squinting at the thread titles and I think that breathes new life into them.

Unfortunately for me, I do have family commitments on holidays, so I can't SS on Easter.
    yea, i dont SS on Shabbat, and i'm not even Jewish.

mtbr member
    If because you're on SS you attack the climbs, what if you have gears and you attack the climbs as well?

As said before, you learn to attack climbs and find better lines on SS. If you bring that skill set over to gears, voila! you're faster on gears, and you have the benefit of not spinning out on flats.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    On my regular route I am always faster on my SS. Not a huge amount but it is faster. I think it is a combination of the terrain suiting it plus the gearing and attacking the climbs. On my FS I tend to sit and spin so if i attacked the climbs a bit more I would probably make the geared bike faster.

Sup
    Im faster on my single speed because I am Lazy and drink too much beer
    It hurts to go slow on my single speed so I pick up the pace so I don't have to wait so long for that next fat tire
    win win
    I am slow therefore I am

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast