Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Face, it we all are idiots. The retro backlash effect.

Had this thought running around my head today while pedaling. It started last night when I read some guys post of "going back to 26" after 29". About every type of rider came out of the wood work- both in support and against the idea.
    -Course there were the bikes as religion folks. These are the types that rage a holy war when someone's beliefs are against there own.
    -There was the Gandhi figure, can't we all just be friends?
    -There was the "new to this SS thing" guy. "Hey wassup w/ this new 29er thingamabob?"
    -There was the beer swilling ludite (typing from the latest Mac happy top powerbook-"I"ve been riding 29ers since before the wheel was invented".
    -There was the guy that just used the post to show pictures of his new blinglespeed . I'm guessing he didn't get the praise he was searching for as nobody mentioned the 29er specific valve stems made from a new anodized 3rd world baby skull. Bummer it even matches his tattoo.

Anyway- it lead me to wonder about the retro backlash. We致e all heard it. It includes the 26 gone to 29 gone back to 26 folks. But it also has folks who are now into the SS craze but might like to try a 1 X 9 (w/ the required thumb shifters). They try aluminum and go back to steel (steel is real, like a rhyme makes it true), they try baggy shorts and return to lycra, they try gripshit before returning to rapid-fire. They try dualies, move onto bigger dualies and return to hardtails.

I知 really looking forward to the guy who is riding the super hard trails on a BMX bike w/ a newspaper delivery bag hanging off the bars. No doubt he値l be fast, and cool, and will be pontificating about the virtues of his ride. A few folks (trying to avoid the herd mentality) will also try one. Eventually it値l become mainstream enough for Gary痴 Fissure to make a version and then there will be a race category based on it. People will be touting how they rode w/ a paper bag back when Camelbaks were cool. Of course there will be tattoos and forum signatures to show the dedication of the true paper bag riders.
    At the point when there is a MTBR forum based on it somebody will be penduluming back in to the SS steel 29er world.

I知 thinking that I try to skip all that and just go straight to the training wheels. I値l have them installed on a small(so small you have to wait 10 years to get one) independent bike builders frame of choice, unless I go the 徒eeping it real route and buy my bike at Kmart.

It's too late, I should delet this letter instead of posting it. Too late for that now.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

Wanderer
    I'm just to frugal with my hard earned money to try all the new stuff.

I have a frame I like, a wheelset i like and a fork I like. That will keep me at 26" forever as I'm not going to buy new expensive parts.

A duelie would be nice I'm sure but again I like my current frame.

I have my bmx bike that I ride on the trails every now and then but the thing beats me up good. I'm getting to old for rigid and I have to admit I like gears.

I guess I'll be the guy riding his old bike while everyone else has all the new stuff.

more beers, lees gears.
    training wheels are so 5 years from now. Im going further and getting a custom Titanium penny farthing. the 54" front wheel really helps me climb over stuff, and doesnt get hung up on rocks like those goofy 29ers did.
    A burrito is a sleeping bag for ground beef.

Sweep the leg!
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Chicken Bones
    I知 really looking forward to the guy who is riding the super hard trails on a BMX bike w/ a newspaper delivery bag hanging off the bars.
    Until there's nationwide civil unrest and martial law, that bike will remain hidden under the stairs behind the secret door behind the armoir... along with the metal-flake MX helmet with the Jofa face guard.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

more beers, lees gears.

ohh yeah, it has disc brakes and a suspension fork.

im still working up the tagline for my tattoo.
    Last edited by mattKHS; 05-12-2007 at 06:35 AM.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Powered
    Until there's nationwide civil unrest and martial law, that bike will remain hidden under the stairs behind the secret door behind the armoir... along with the metal-flake MX helmet with the Jofa face guard.
    Jofa! There's a name I haven't heard in awhile. Athletic cup for one's face!

meatier showers
    None of this insanity is lost on me. I'm way in front of all you losers -- I'm giving up cycling altogether...

...and remember, I did it FIRST!

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

King of vegetarians
    Had this thought running around my head today while pedaling. It started last night when I read some guys post of "going back to 26" after 29". About every type of rider came out of the wood work- both in support and against the idea.
    -Course there were the bikes as religion folks. These are the types that rage a holy war when someone's beliefs are against there own.
    -There was the "new to this SS thing" guy. "Hey wassup w/ this new 29er thingamabob?"
    -There was the beer swilling ludite (typing from the latest Mac happy top powerbook-"I"ve been riding 29ers since before the wheel was invented".
    -There was the guy that just used the post to show pictures of his new blinglespeed . I'm guessing he didn't get the praise he was searching for as nobody mentioned the 29er specific valve stems made from a new anodized 3rd world baby skull. Bummer it even matches his tattoo.

Anyway- it lead me to wonder about the retro backlash. We致e all heard it. It includes the 26 gone to 29 gone back to 26 folks. But it also has folks who are now into the SS craze but might like to try a 1 X 9 (w/ the required thumb shifters). They try aluminum and go back to steel (steel is real, like a rhyme makes it true), they try baggy shorts and return to lycra, they try gripshit before returning to rapid-fire. They try dualies, move onto bigger dualies and return to hardtails.

I知 really looking forward to the guy who is riding the super hard trails on a BMX bike w/ a newspaper delivery bag hanging off the bars. No doubt he値l be fast, and cool, and will be pontificating about the virtues of his ride. A few folks (trying to avoid the herd mentality) will also try one. Eventually it値l become mainstream enough for Gary痴 Fissure to make a version and then there will be a race category based on it. People will be touting how they rode w/ a paper bag back when Camelbaks were cool. Of course there will be tattoos and forum signatures to show the dedication of the true paper bag riders.
    At the point when there is a MTBR forum based on it somebody will be penduluming back in to the SS steel 29er world.

I知 thinking that I try to skip all that and just go straight to the training wheels. I値l have them installed on a small(so small you have to wait 10 years to get one) independent bike builders frame of choice, unless I go the 徒eeping it real route and buy my bike at Kmart.

It's too late, I should delet this letter instead of posting it. Too late for that now.
    I agree.
    Black Sheep Dream Bike Design
    www.blacksheepbikes.com
    The future is not retro proof.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattKHS

ohh yeah, it has disc brakes and a suspension fork.

im still working up the tagline for my tattoo.
    Nice PS skills. That one looks like steel though. I think your original idea of titanium is the way to go. How about a custom ti Jeff Jones space frame penny farthing with a strut fork, although that Fox does look nice. Make sure to paint it pink too cuz I heard somewhere that thats a cool color for a bike.

Wanted: broken Titec 2 bolt seatpost, any size

mtbr member
    If it wasn't raining, I'd be riding right now. I won't bore y'all with the gorey details of my rig and the trails. No pictures will be posted later (I couldn't do it anyway due to my complete lack of computer skill).

Exclusively Single
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    None of this insanity is lost on me. I'm way in front of all you losers -- I'm giving up cycling altogether...

...and remember, I did it FIRST!

--Sparty

Whatever, I've already given it up and come back to it. I foresaw the coming fad of not riding anymore, embraced it, and then got sick of the idea of how many others would follow. So I started riding again. It's great.

mtbr member

Great post by the way! I was seriously laughing out loud.
    Wanted: broken Titec 2 bolt seatpost, any size

- factotum -
    So Johnny Chicken Bones, it looks like you're a bit tired of all this.

There's an answer for this, but come on, posting in a mtb forum is so, uh, retro?!

more beers, lees gears.
    Quote Originally Posted by grawbass
    Nice PS skills. That one looks like steel though. I think your original idea of titanium is the way to go. How about a custom ti Jeff Jones space frame penny farthing with a strut fork, although that Fox does look nice. Make sure to paint it pink too cuz I heard somewhere that thats a cool color for a bike.

I could have spent longer. but 3 minutes was too much as is.

We cant paint it pink. I dont think TI is normally painted.

Birthday Collector
    Well,

I just went out and did it - bought a tricycle. Man - it is tough keeping that thing up on one or other of the rear wheels and crabbing it along a singletrack, but that is part of the challenge. I am so done with only two wheels.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

i agree with the original poster...

but it's the same effect as the statement you have to "pay to play". For example, do most of the posters on this board really need suspension, full suspension, spd, a titanium frame, a special single speed cassette hub, blah blah blah?

Does all of this make you faster than Matt Hebbard on his old rusty Trailmaster in Moab? or John Stamstead on his Bridgestone MB-1 in Oregon? I think not. For some, constant upgrades are what they want to do, others like myself ride what we got until it dies. Neither method is really better....it is just a fact of life.

To quote Matt Chester "do more with less". Word.

VTW

Coors, the american beer.
    my friend acutally did used to ride to school and everywhere else with the newspaper bag on his bmx bike .... the best is when hed hit the dirt jumps with it on
    AZ has the best mountain bike gathering ever

this account retired
    maybe

sofa king special
    Ha! I love this. Bikers are such a-holes. God I love 'em...

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by victorthewombat
    but it's the same effect as the statement you have to "pay to play". For example, do most of the posters on this board really need suspension, full suspension, spd, a titanium frame, a special single speed cassette hub, blah blah blah?

VTW
    Why does it have to come down to "need?"

Does all of this make you faster than Matt Hebbard on his old rusty Trailmaster in Moab? or John Stamstead on his Bridgestone MB-1 in Oregon? I think not. For some, constant upgrades are what they want to do, others like myself ride what we got until it dies. Neither method is really better....it is just a fact of life.

VTW
    True that. But does it have to be about going faster?

VTW
    Any quote by Matted Chesthair offends me.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    **** it....

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    ****ing censorship...y'all now what I wanna say...

banned
    Apr 2004

You left out the unitards

they are so core that the rest of us pretend to be interested and impressed with their one wheeled rot hammers and fresh dots.

King of vegetarians

VTW
    I agree.
    www.blacksheepbikes.com

King of vegetarians
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Why does it have to come down to "need?"

True that. But does it have to be about going faster?

Any quote by Matted Chesthair offends me.

--Sparty
    I agree.
    www.blacksheepbikes.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast