Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

F^@% BB Creak

993 views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  crux 
#1 ·
So I have ridden EBB frames for several years and have never run into a creak I could not fix.

Have tore everything apart attempting to eliminate the noise. Frame is Ti with set screws and a PW EBB.

So far I have checked, lubed, ti-prep, cleaning and regreasing;
BB
EBB
Set screws
Crank bolts
Square taper interface
pedals
Rear skewers
Saddle
Chainring bolts
Lubed and measured the chain

Can't really think of anything else, can someone please help make the noise go away.

#4 ·
I have the same issue with XTR 960 BB. Took it all out and grease it with Pedroz Grease and creak does not go away. I am 100% sure that the noise come from the bb since it happens only when standing up to put pressure on the pedals. Should I use that plumbing tape as well? I have a very light alloy frame. Thanks.

#5 ·
I had a creak I couldn't diagnose. Turned out the frame was cracked. Have you explored that avenue? My frame was actually cracked on the top tube near the head tube but I could only hear it when I stood up to pedal.

Alternatively, you say you only hear it when standing up to pedal, so have you checked the front QR, stem and stem plate?

#7 ·
bigwheelboy_490 said:
I had a creak I couldn't diagnose. Turned out the frame was cracked. Have you explored that avenue? My frame was actually cracked on the top tube near the head tube but I could only hear it when I stood up to pedal.

Alternatively, you say you only hear it when standing up to pedal, so have you checked the front QR, stem and stem plate?
Include pedals in your debugging. I have had pedal issues that sounded like a BB issue. Good luck.

Mud

#10 ·
Tried all the typical fixes and was going nuts. Tonight I got fed up with lubing greasing applying antisieze on everything and torquing to spec. Eventually started replacing components. Went thru several cranks, EBB then finally replaced a PW BB. Instantly the creaking noise is gone.

Have had several BBs and Hubs from PW and never had any issues. Hopefully their CS department will get things straightened out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.