Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Chubbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    107

    Explain SS to me

    Ok, can you explain SS to me? I have been checking the forum out and it has piqued my intertest, but I know nothing about it. What are some of the reasons for wanting to set up a bike for SS? Reason I'm asking: I have an older Schwinn Homegrown HT that is being replaced with a new fs sometime this year. Could that be converted to SS without a lot of trouble?

    Thanks,

    Chubbs

  2. #2
    Hοmo Velo
    Reputation: Biking Viking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    387

    A few reasons

    It makes you ride differently. It teaches you that sometimes, powering through rough stuff can be easier on a higher gear. It makes you strong - upper body, too. It makes your trails look different. It's the ultimate bad weather bike.

    For me, SSing was a way to expand my cycling universe, and to reduce my parts budget. It does however suck for many different types of riding that I do, so I don't confine my existence to the small, small planet that SSing represents.

    Geir


  3. #3
    No relation
    Reputation: Ichabod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    192

    The first "S" means "single", the second one is "speed"

    for a more helpful answer cheq the faq.

    I'm not sure a bike exists that can't be converted...
    Don't you ever, don't you ever, stop being dandy showing me you're handsome.

  4. #4
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,028
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubbs
    Ok, can you explain SS to me? I have been checking the forum out and it has piqued my intertest, but I know nothing about it. What are some of the reasons for wanting to set up a bike for SS? Reason I'm asking: I have an older Schwinn Homegrown HT that is being replaced with a new fs sometime this year. Could that be converted to SS without a lot of trouble?

    Thanks,

    Chubbs
    One ring in front. One cog in back. Turn the pedals and you move forward. It is just another bike.

    Read the FAQ link at the top right of the page.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Casual Observer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,907

    Or you can add a K and an I, for KISS

    Quote Originally Posted by Ichabod
    for a more helpful answer cheq the faq.

    I'm not sure a bike exists that can't be converted...
    Keep it Simple Stupid

    To be able take a rig out not worry about what gear your in is why I enjoy it.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Brandon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,154
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubbs
    Ok, can you explain SS to me? I have been checking the forum out and it has piqued my intertest, but I know nothing about it. What are some of the reasons for wanting to set up a bike for SS? Reason I'm asking: I have an older Schwinn Homegrown HT that is being replaced with a new fs sometime this year. Could that be converted to SS without a lot of trouble?

    Thanks,

    Chubbs
    The real question is why are SS'ers segregated from the other riders? It's just a bike.

  7. #7
    Hazzah!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    177
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubbs
    Ok, can you explain SS to me? I have been checking the forum out and it has piqued my intertest, but I know nothing about it. What are some of the reasons for wanting to set up a bike for SS? Reason I'm asking: I have an older Schwinn Homegrown HT that is being replaced with a new fs sometime this year. Could that be converted to SS without a lot of trouble?

    Thanks,

    Chubbs
    remember when you were a kid and you just got on your bike and rode?
    not a worry in the world, just out havin' fun.
    thats what riding a SS means to me.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SoloWithOthers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    216

    It's the one piece of equipment that can make you a better rider

    Stronger legs
    Stronger upper body
    Stronger lungs
    Teaches you to conserve momentum
    Teaches you to never give up
    You attack a hill at the bottom while geared riders are slecting a gear (I have passed countless gearies in this way.. even if they are slowed by me toward the top.. they can't pass there)

    There is more...

  9. #9
    Hοmo Velo
    Reputation: Biking Viking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    387
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon
    The real question is why are SS'ers segregated from the other riders? It's just a bike.
    Because some SS'ers use the fact that they ride a bike with no gearing as a compensation for the lack of other accomplishments in life.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: inigo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12

    nice put-down.

    Quote Originally Posted by Biking Viking
    Because some SS'ers use the fact that they ride a bike with no gearing as a compensation for the lack of other accomplishments in life.
    first you say everyone here is living in a small, small world. Then you claim SSers are segregated because some here are compensating for lack of accomplishments in life.


    What's up?? Too cold in the boonies? One reason I like SSing is to stay away from attitude and put-downs like yours.

  11. #11
    Hοmo Velo
    Reputation: Biking Viking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    387
    Inigo,

    How about brushing up on that reading comprehension? I think you agree with me once you read what I type instead of guessing what I mean.

    first you say everyone here is living in a small, small world
    Bullshit! Never said that. Here's what I said: if SSing is the only type of riding you do, you only explore one small planet in the universe of cycling. Please tell me why that is not true. Also tell me why that is a negative statement. If you're happy with SSing only, more power to you.

    SSers are segregated because some here are compensating for lack of accomplishments in life
    Almost correct. I said "some SSers" not "some here". That is my explanation. Unfortunately, there is no way to find out if that's correct. BTW - what's yours?

    I like SSing is to stay away from attitude and put-downs like yours
    Hmm - interesting. How can SSing act as a screen from controversial statements? Is it the good, ole "He rides a bike without gears so he must be a pleasant person to be around" stereotype rearing its ugly head again? Wake up.

  12. #12
    Hazzah!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    177
    Quote Originally Posted by Biking Viking
    Because some SS'ers use the fact that they ride a bike with no gearing as a compensation for the lack of other accomplishments in life.
    segregation is a personal choice, it has nothing to do with what type of bike you ride. people choose to isolate themselves for various reasons. the fact that they may or may not ride a bike is secondary...

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by kattywhumpus
    segregation is a personal choice, it has nothing to do with what type of bike you ride. people choose to isolate themselves for various reasons. the fact that they may or may not ride a bike is secondary...
    I just hate people. The fact that I ride pretty much only single speeds is secondary.

    Craig

  14. #14
    Hazzah!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    177
    Quote Originally Posted by 1x1_Speed_Craig
    I just hate people. The fact that I ride pretty much only single speeds is secondary.

    Craig
    you need to join:http://www.hellridersmtbc.com/

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Casual Observer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,907

    Do you really mean "segregate"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon
    The real question is why are SS'ers segregated from the other riders? It's just a bike.
    or do you mean why does the type of bike you ride matter? While I half agree that riding is riding, if you're not passionate about *what* you ride, but *that* you ride, mt biking is probably not the sport for you.

  16. #16
    master of "the robot"
    Reputation: skeeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    248
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    or do you mean why does the type of bike you ride matter? While I half agree that riding is riding, if you're not passionate about *what* you ride, but *that* you ride, mt biking is probably not the sport for you.
    it may just be me, but i don't see how you draw that conclusion.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Casual Observer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,907
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeter
    it may just be me, but i don't see how you draw that conclusion.
    What conclusion? That if you dont' care about *what* you ride, then mt biking is not for you? Well, I did say "probably." Sure, you can be passionate about mt biking riding a Huffy. I'd never put somebody down for the bike they ride. But at least IMO, the majority who are passionate to the point of addiction really care about their bike (in addition to what, where, how often, etc. they ride.)

    How often do you meet another mt biker someplace other than biking, and one of the first questions is "why kind of bike do you have"?

    Hell, I'll be the first to admit that if I had a $4000 bike hanging in my garage, I'm just as passionate as the guy who sits home on the weekends watching the games.

  18. #18
    master of "the robot"
    Reputation: skeeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    248
    skinny-tire, that was the conclusion i was referring to. i look at the passion for "what" they ride as a by-product of their passion "to" ride. i initially took up mountain biking because i liked to ride bikes, and i liked going out in the woods. that passion, or desire, led me to purchase my first, entry level mountain bike, so that i could take up the sport of mountain biking. i am passionate about my bikes, but my passion to actually ride, exceeds that of what i am riding.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Casual Observer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,907
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeter
    skinny-tire, that was the conclusion i was referring to. i look at the passion for "what" they ride as a by-product of their passion "to" ride. i initially took up mountain biking because i liked to ride bikes, and i liked going out in the woods. that passion, or desire, led me to purchase my first, entry level mountain bike, so that i could take up the sport of mountain biking. i am passionate about my bikes, but my passion to actually ride, exceeds that of what i am riding.
    Ditto. My first, second, third, and fourth bikes probably cost in total less than $100. But you still had to pry me off them (not that I wasn't very prideful of my rides as well).

    I'm sure you're not trying to put words in my mouth, but if one can be passionate about *what* AND *why* they ride, it takes it to a whole new level, that's all I'm saying.

    But I'll agree, I think to be a true mt biker, one should be MORE passionate about *why* they ride than *what* they ride.

  20. #20
    master of "the robot"
    Reputation: skeeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    248
    that's cool, i was just trying to point out, mainly in reference to your response to Brandon, that if you are most passionate about riding, that mountain biking may indeed be the sport for you.

  21. #21
    singlespeed smash brother
    Reputation: shwinboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    282
    I don't know about everyone else but I ss because it makes me a better lover, more hansome, increased my penis size by 200% , has given me rock hard abs, has given me softer, smoother skin, helped me loose 50kg in 2 weeks and now I win at the casino every single time.

    Also its fun.

  22. #22
    Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
    Reputation: eSSq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    522

    Wink damn, good reSSults.

    Quote Originally Posted by shwinboy
    increased my penis size by 200%
    my dick is only 175% bigger than when I started riding SS.
    [size=1][/size]

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    54
    While the geeries are shifting down to an easier gear to climb, we are standing up and going faster....

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by shwinboy
    I don't know about everyone else but I ss because it makes me a better lover, more hansome, increased my penis size by 200% , has given me rock hard abs, has given me softer, smoother skin, helped me loose 50kg in 2 weeks and now I win at the casino every single time.

    Also its fun.
    You're killin' me here...(LOL)

    Craig
    * Soulcraft Plowboy SS/fixxie
    * Steelman Eurocross 525 fixxie/SS
    * Custom-built Haro BMX tandem for the kids

Similar Threads

  1. How do you expand the thread so I can view the original thread and the replies...
    By Mountain Cycle Shawn in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01-22-2004, 04:23 AM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-21-2004, 10:02 PM
  3. Singleator thoughts
    By kustomz in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-21-2004, 06:06 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-20-2004, 04:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •