mtbr member

Excess Technologies Freewheel?

Has anyone on the forum used one of these? Apparently it only hit the market a few months ago, but I would imagine that there might be someone who bit the bullet. If the ad hype rings true it may be the first reasonably priced competition for the ENO without having to scavenge a tried and true Suntour from an old BMX bike. I'm tired of the knock from the Shimano/ACS freewheels, and I'd like to get a decent one for under $50 if I could. At a list price of $22 this could be the ticket.

mtbr member
    Eh. 30 points is on the low end. is it a sealed cartridge like ENO?
    If you can do 16t or 18t you could run a trials high engagement (108) fw. Rockman/Trialtech/Echo are around $60.

mtbr member
    The jury is out on this, so I'm more hopeful than anything, but it's certainly intriguing.

I doubt it's cartridge bearings, and the average engagement doesn't bother me at all. What I don't like is that the current freewheels in this price point are garbage. They look alright, but they feel terrible on the bike. They make a clunking noise, they wobble to no end, and they just don't feel solid. As a comparison, my Suntour freewheel that's maybe 20 years old feels solid, predictable, and doesn't wobble around.

Come to think of it, the design is pretty similar to Suntour.

I would guess that the ENO wouldn't be as popular if the Suntour was still made. If this new freewheel turns out to be as good as the old Suntour it will be a popular item for sure. Honestly, the 30 P.O.E is only 6 fewer than the ENO, and you could have four of these for the price of one ENO.

I read somewhere that they will be making a 6 pawl version with 60 P.O.E in the future.

I'm in no hurry to get a new freewheel, but I was seriously considering picking up an ENO last night until I found this one on the interweb. I can wait for a while to find out if the truth measures up to the promise. I'll just deal with my ACS knock for now.

mtbr member
    To be honest, I've not seen any reviews of that fw. in the cycling world there is a lot of re-branding and hype; so at that price point, is it just another cheap fw?

The ENO is in a different class, as it is ground up WI's design and no one makes anything similar.

The trials brands I mentioned can top the ENO in function, as they have more engagement, are lighter, and cheaper, perhaps even more durable. The only problem with the trials are they are usually only 16-18t. They're extra loud too.

Shimano is quite a bit better than ACS and cheap. AC Racing too.
    If you really like Suntour, they show up NOS on eBay all the time, in fact there's a 14, 16, & 17t on there right now (BIN), as well as a 17/18t DOS style!

mtbr member
    The old shimano's were decent, but I don't see a big difference in performance between the current ones and the ACS. I've never tried an AC, but I've looked a couple of times. I know there's a lot of rebranding in the bike parts world. Like I said I can wait until there's real info about this thing. As you say the WI is in a class of it's own. But why is the Suntour pretty much the same design as every other single speed freewheel out there, but functionally better? It could be just the fact that at the time Suntour made them, not farmed out the work to another factory. It's probably the reason the Shimano's aren't as good as they used to be.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by misunderestimated View Post
    Eh. 30 points is on the low end. is it a sealed cartridge like ENO?
    If you can do 16t or 18t you could run a trials high engagement (108) fw. Rockman/Trialtech/Echo are around $60.
    30-36pt is at worst mid-range for a mountain bike by most people's standards. 108pt is a separate category of "ludicrous engagement" Not that higher engagement isn't noticed and appreciated, but the difference that 72pt provides over 30pt isn't that huge, especially for an SS MTB. Let me explain:

Gear ratios divide against the degrees of engagement of the hub to determine the degrees of engagement actually felt at the crank. Here are some examples:

22x34 granny gear with 30pt hub = 18.5 degrees of free crank rotation
    22x34 granny gear with 72pt hub = 7.7 degrees of free crank rotation
    difference = 10.8 degrees at the cranks

32x16 with 30pt hub = 6 degrees of free crank rotation
    32x16 with 72pt hub = 2.5 degrees of free crank rotation
    difference = 3.5 degrees at the cranks

comparing this ET freewheel to the standard ENO:

32x16 with 30pt hub = 6 degrees of free crank rotation
    32x16 with 36pt hub = 5 degrees of free crank rotation
    difference = 1 degrees at the cranks

mtbr member
    Any tried the IRD freewheel? $60 IRD Freewheel

mtbr member
    I'm curious about it now that you posted. It looks like a dead ringer for my old Suntour. I'm sure it's better, but if it didn't say IRD on it I would have sworn it was a ST.

backwoods and backwards
    My echo feels like a King as far as engagement goes(it's always right there!). It's loud and has crazy drag, but performance surpasses the price easy.
    Live the life you love!