Sofa King We Todd Did

Everyday should start out like this

I meant to post this yesterday but got distracted with way too much crap going on.

Anyway, I took yesterday off, like the day before and the day before that. Snow fell on Monday, and the frigid temperatures on Tuesday kept that snow around, still in powdery form. Wednesday morning was gorgeous, still cold, but I knew it was going to warm up. Got up, kissed wifey of the work, babysitter showed up, handed off the kid to her, got changed into my riding gear, hopped on the singlespeed and rode out. No schedule to keep to, no definitive time I needed to be home, I was going to take my time today, I thought.

6 miles to the beach/trail, nice steady pace, trying to build up the juices before I head into the trails proper. Then I dove in. Typically I ride about 4 miles worth of trail before I run out of time and have to rush home. I was going to milk this for all it was worth. Uphill, downhill, over the rocks, over logs, uphill again, through the frozen mud, uphill one more time, sliding over sheets of ice, through snow, everything. I realized that when you ride through powdery snow that's thick enough, you naturally carve through it 'cause your pedalling causes you to kick the tail out from side to side. Sweet. I also learned that riding through frozen mud sucks. Only the top's frozen, everything underneath is still like diarrhea, so the tires kept getting sucked in. I ended up doing about 6 miles worth of trail this time. Snow riding is far more fun than I orignally made it out to be.

Came home, looked at the computer. 16 miles. Decent, not bad, marginally more than what I typically ride in 2 hours on weekends. Of course, I bloody paid for it later in the day. Towards evening, I started to feel a twinge in both my knees but more in my left knee. By 9pm, the twinge had turned into a ferocious stabbing pain. Couldn't bloody walk, even sitting still with the knees elevated it would sear with pain. What the f*ck!! Figured I probably overdid it with the ride today. Overdid the trails. Overdid the climbing 'cause I climbed like a motherf*cker as if I had something to prove climbing with no effin' gears. Stupid ass. Now my knees were f*cking shot, and I could barely fall asleep from the pain. Bengay and Tylenol were all I could do at that hour of night.

Knees are a bit better today, but I fear that my riding chances over the next few days are pretty well shot. Stupid ass. It was a great start to the day - like I said, everyday should start out like that... with one nice ride - but I hate paying for it after.

JAK
    mtbr member

Knee Warmers

I agree, what a hella good way to start the day, although maybe you was missing a pair of knee warmers?? winter riding for me means keeping them knees as warm as possible. I have a 'loose' right knee and if I do not keep 'er warm, it'll give me a little pain later...even if I have thick warm tights, I always toss on the KWers...so nice! aahhh the sounds of ~cold~ snow under me tires makes me warm too.....I hope to start my tomorrow like you started your yesterday...

c'mon
    Night has fallen.
    And there's nothin' we can do about it.

Cracker-magnon
    nice report, sounds like you may need to gear down a bit to save the knees, especially with the added resistence from the snow.
    [SIZE=2]"Life is a F@#^ing story problem, get used to it - my son.[/SIZE]

Sofa King We Todd Did
    Yeah, I got leg warmers and big padded, insulated downhill pants working here.

As for the gearing I might be in for a whole world of pain. I'm currently running a 32/16 gear, and because I'm changing my wheel setup, I ordered a Chris King 15T cog when retailer told me they were all out of 16T ones. Uh-oh. Good thing I picked up am 18T cog as well.

mtbr member
    I was going to suggest to move to an easier gear but you're already on your way. 2:1 can be a tough combination to deal with, good for the flats and downs but kills you un the ups.

I'm always between 32:18, 32:20 because of my knee and back issues.

Sofa King We Todd Did
    Either I'm a complete imbecile or I'm nuts. I have a very hard time conceding to the fact that I can't handle a 2:1 gear ratio. I'm all "Beefcake!! BEEFCAKE!!!!" when it comes to this singlespeeding, and yet I read over and over again about how a 32:18 ratio is much more suited to climbing and lengthy inclined rides. Instead, I'm a meathead who refuses to relent and instead chooses to push myself on the harder gear, and crap like my knees is what happens next.

Do I learn? No. Given the chance, I'll go right back out tomorrow on the 32:16 and ride the same distance at the same intensity all over again. In fact, even as my knees are killing me right now, I can't wait for that 15T cog to arrive in the mail so that I can try and push that sucker up the hill.

I'm an idiot.

JAK
    mtbr member

I don't think you are an idiot, you just...

don't understand the difficulty in spinnnig hella fast. As tough as you feel pushing big'ns, at the expense of your knees you could feel that much 'smarter' spinning and spinning well for the health of your knees. Once I ran 32X18 while a buddy ran 32X20...he smoked me on the flat commute to the trails...I figured then I should really learn this spin thing...I thought I had 'er all along, but I was wrong.

giv'er

Quote Originally Posted by SpinWheelz
    Either I'm a complete imbecile or I'm nuts. I have a very hard time conceding to the fact that I can't handle a 2:1 gear ratio. I'm all "Beefcake!!

I'm an idiot.
    Night has fallen.
    And there's nothin' we can do about it.

Sofa King We Todd Did
    I know exactly what you mean about the spinning technique. I suck hard at spinning fast, hence my reliance on bigger gears to go faster at a lower cadence. You see, I'm fat ass, pushing about 175lbs on a good day. And the way I'm positioned over the bike, when I try and pedal quickly, I tend to hunker down, and this causes my thighs to push up to my fat gut, causing me to be more self-conscious about said fat gut than my spinning technique.

I know I need to work on that, as I do my fat gut. Thanks for that pointer, JAK - I'm putting that at the top of my ultra-long list of things to improve upon.