the cool nerd

Ever take a knife to a gunfight?

Timo: "I have a new ride in mind"
    Sportsman: "hmmmm"
    Timo: "I'm calling it the Double Boundary Trail!
    Sportsman: "I'm listening"
    Timo: (like offering crack to an addict) "We don't need no stinking shuttle. We're going to ride from Taos, climb the South Boundary Trail, ride through Elliot Barker, cross the road, climb ok canyon, return through the Capulin trail, and finish on Devisadaro!"
    Sportsman: "You know I'll be riding the ss, right?"
    Timo: (its your funeral) "okay"

One week later, 8 hours into the DBT....

Sportsman: "I should've brought gears....."

This is the first time that I've ever (EVER!) regretted bringing a SS for a ride. When the dust had settled, and we were sitting at Eskes, Timo let me know that we had covered 70 miles, and approximately 10k in vertical. Ouch!

Timo looking down on taos pueblo
    Last edited by sportsman; 07-11-2005 at 12:57 PM.

the cool nerd

two more

we stopped to reflect on the legend of Lidarman

and an other Taos overlook

the cool nerd

more pix

I'm enjoying riding through the aspen

Timo leads the way...

we didn;t see many cyclists, but we saw flowers..

and butterflies

and vistas (notice Timo getting small, and also notice the not-so-alarming lack of smoke in the sky)

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

Yaaah!

Nice Epic. Nice Pics. Just thinking about that ride on my fully-unsuspended SS makes my arthritis act up.

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by sportsman
    Timo: (like offering crack to an addict) "We don't need no stinking shuttle. We're going to ride from Taos, climb the South Boundary Trail, ride through Elliot Barker, cross the road, climb ok canyon, return through the Capulin trail, and finish on Devisadaro!"

This is the first time that I've ever (EVER!) regretted bringing a SS for a ride. When the dust had settled, and we were sitting at Eskes, Timo let me know that we had covered 70 miles, and approximately 10k in vertical. Ouch!

the cool nerd
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    Nice Epic. Nice Pics. Just thinking about that ride on my fully-unsuspended SS makes my arthritis act up.

JMH
    My ss is rigid, but I was still looking forward to the rocky, rough, jarring descents. They meant that I wasn't climbing at the moment

Course, my legs were still working just from absorbing the impacts, so the really long descents were almost as bad as climbing..

BOOST THAT SH*T!
    70 miles....WOW...Good stuff. A good beer at the end, a good story to share and great pics.

Thanks
    "A splendid time was had by all and all were had." ~ Wire Train

Airborne Flight Crew
    Dang, and I thought I was bada$$ for riding to the Ski Area, doing the trails and riding back (also a 70 mile day) - but I had fully suspended gears. Congrats, and keen photos!

paintbucket
    So. You ran the wrong gear, huh?

Great pics there though. And you finished, right? So what's your point?
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

the cool nerd
    Quote Originally Posted by wooglin
    So. You ran the wrong gear, huh?

Great pics there though. And you finished, right? So what's your point?
    he he

I ran 34-18, my usual gear. I was going to change to a 34-20 earlier in the week, but I couldn't get the 18 off. I'm going to take it to a friend's house, one that has a vice in the garage.

I'm not sure that the 20 would've helped me too much though. Just a tough day. I did finish, but finishing involved a lot more hike-a-bike than I'm accustomed to..

the cool nerd
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman
    Those are the rides you remember..

It's always the very hard or the very good ones that stick in my memory....or maybe the very hard very good ones? lol..

Nice pics, thanks.

R.
    I told Timo that I've never hurt so much during a mtb ride, maybe a few races, and sometimes as consequences of mechanicals/weather, but this was one for the annals. It was a very hard, very good, and it will stick in my memory.

the cool nerd
    Quote Originally Posted by jhazard
    Dang, and I thought I was bada$$ for riding to the Ski Area, doing the trails and riding back (also a 70 mile day) - but I had fully suspended gears. Congrats, and keen photos!
    you should never confuse insanity with bada$$...

yours sounds like a cool ride also, do you live in the Taos area? Sure are a lot of good trails around there, and miles and miles of old logging grades that look like they should be ridden/explored..

Reviewer/Tester
    Those are the rides you remember..

It's always the very hard or the very good ones that stick in my memory....or maybe the very hard very good ones? lol..

Nice pics, thanks. Love the way you captured the sunlight slanting through the tree..

R.
    It is inevitable ...

paintbucket
    I'm not sure that the 20 would've helped me too much though. Just a tough day. I did finish, but finishing involved a lot more hike-a-bike than I'm accustomed to..
    I ride the equivalent of a 32-18, and I ride with folks who use 32-16. We all notice that I'm able to sit and spin more than they are, so I think even the 2 teeth make a difference on a long day like that. And there's nothing wrong with walking. Just think of it as a granny gear.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    God bless that's a big ride! Not just 70 miles, but 10K of climbing too!

Nat [genuflecting]

Mythical Creature
    Quote Originally Posted by Timo
    Seriously everybody....Sportsman is some sort of Action Hero.... Holy Sh!t, Batman, that cat is for real!
    Well put - I try to relay that message to the folks who don't believe - maybe they will now! Bona-fide nuckin' futs!

I'm on for the Santa Fe Big Friggin Loop (SFBFL) next Sat. Bring the Truth, and pack like Messner......let me know if you can make it! ;-)
    Are you rrrrrreeaaaaadddddddyyyyyy tooooo rrrruuuummmmmmmbbbbbblllllllleeeeeeeee!

Count me in this time! I'll even be on the HT - but with gears and front suspension...
    follow me on Twitter!
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Hell, you had two of them......

Front and back! You had some travel in that fork (albeit less than a 1/1000 of an inch), so what are you complaining about?

Seriously everybody....Sportsman is some sort of Action Hero. Start making the figurines, comic books, and secret decoder rings. He don't need no friggin phone booth, nor some fancy ring. Riding this route - and surviving - on a FULLY RIGID SS is certainly heroic.......but leading me on the descents, and allowing me only to see dust is amazing. Holy Sh!t, Batman, that cat is for real!

I used all of my gears and all 100mm up front. Felt like cheating after watching this guy work.

Dude, I loved that ride! Making it a complete loop instead of the curved 'S' I had been doing the last few years makes that route one for the ages. I'll be back at that one real soon, most likley the weekend after the ultra..

I'm on for the Santa Fe Big Friggin Loop (SFBFL) next Sat. Bring the Truth, and pack like Messner......let me know if you can make it! ;-)

Mythical Creature

Creaking Noise?

While cowbell-ringing and cheering at Angel Fire, rallying the dust-covered pro women at the UCI race, I thought I heard a distant echo from the day before of creaking knees and drivetrain from the south, or was it the ghosts of x-mas past?

Wish I could have helped with the "pace setting" guys - but I'm almost all better now, and will soon be 100%

Nice ride, great pix Scott!

How'd the "B" group do?
    follow me on Twitter!
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

the cool nerd

spoon!!!

Seriously everybody....Sportsman is some sort of Action Hero. Start making the figurines, comic books, and secret decoder rings. He don't need no friggin phone booth, nor some fancy ring.
    blushing over undeserved praise

awesome route, we just need to get people to ride Capulin to clear back some of the bushes...Looking forward to the next epic..
    Attached Images Attached Images

the cool nerd
    Quote Originally Posted by glenzx
    I thought I heard a distant echo from the day before of creaking knees and drivetrain from the south
    Naww, that was just my bb. I'm loath to toss my old WI ti bb, but I'm rebuilding it weekly and it starts creaking again after ~3-4 hours of abuse. And timo dished out plenty of abuse on Saturday

How'd the "B" group do?
    They were out longer than they expected, but it looked like they had a great ride. If we'd taken the GITA ride on their route, we wouldn't have as many friends. They started on the 'primitive' trails that timo and I rode through Elliot Barker, rough stuff!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Excellent

How'd the "B" group do?
    From Jeni told me, it sounds like the group was well matched, but a little awestruck at first on the EBT climbs. She said the funniest comment, came from Mike M...who said he thought the group was "cheating" by starting at Palo Flechado. 4600-ft of climbing later, he politely retracted that thought!

The 2 groups really worked out well....and we met them at the un-named meadow just north of Osha Meadow.

Hey...sorry i didn't speak much at the UCI....I think everyone was a little pre-occupied, though.

M

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

I have taken the knife

I once did a mountain bike race on my single speed crosscheck with 35c ritchey trail mix tires. Part of the course was on fairly easy but somewhat hilly dirt roads, where I would catch up with the mountain bikers, and part of it was in hilly technicial, and sometimes muddy terrian, sketchey ridding or walking were usually involved. I felt ok for the first couple of laps, but the last two were just about murder, I think I started seeing spots and getting leg cramps, but I finnished, the worst part was hearing the bell and finding out that I had two laps to go cause I had been lapped. That race had mountain bike, single speed and cyclocross catagories, but I was the only one that came with a single speed cyclocross bike. If you bring a knife to a gun fight, does that mean you are not the sharpest knife in the drawer??

Mythical Creature
    From Jeni told me, it sounds like the group was well matched, but a little awestruck at first on the EBT climbs. She said the funniest comment, came from Mike M...who said he thought the group was "cheating" by starting at Palo Flechado. 4600-ft of climbing later, he politely retracted that thought!

The 2 groups really worked out well....and we met them at the un-named meadow just north of Osha Meadow.

Hey...sorry i didn't speak much at the UCI....I think everyone was a little pre-occupied, though.

M
    sounds great! LOL at Mikes 'cheating' comment - ha!

we were in a whirl-wind spectating/hiking/cow-bell ringing mode, so indeed we didn't have much time to chat. Next week though!
    follow me on Twitter!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Ahh

awesome route, we just need to get people to ride Capulin to clear back some of the bushes...Looking forward to the next epic..
    Skin can always grow back!

Just wait till you hit the other leg of Devisadero...... :-)

ANNOUNCEMENT - To the rest of the whole friggin world.....

RIDE CAPULIN to DEVISADERO! It is the best g'damn trail in all of Taos, NM. Someone even lost a million dollars on the trail. Naked women exercise on it. There is a fountain of youth flowing here. Just ride the damn thing for f*cks sake!

P.P.S.S. Bring tree trimmers please.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Are you rrrrrreeaaaaadddddddyyyyyy tooooo rrrruuuummmmmmmbbbbbblllllllleeeeeeeee!

Count me in this time! I'll even be on the HT - but with gears and front suspension...
    Cool...I'll make the usual announcement. Most likely early at Zele' for start.

I've been on the HT non-stop for over a month now....the Switchblade is just gathering dust. :-)

rohloff rich
    Grrrrrrrr...damn F.S. fire information officer LIED to me. Sorry I wasn't there with you guys but I was led to believe the SBT was an inferno. Sounds like you both reached a new level of mutual respect.