Baby Bear is in the house

Ergon GA1/GE1 for SS?

Anyone here using the Ergon GE1/GA1 grips on their SS rig?

I'm currently using Ergon knock-offs (similar to the GP1) and they have been immensely comfy for general XC and road riding (one and only bike), particularly on longer rides, not just for the support of the wing, but also because it forces me to avoid the "death grip." I used to have them mounted on a Titec H-Bar but have since moved to Ragley Carnegie's. At some point though, I found the ergo-style grips to be less than stellar for out of the saddle mashing/climbing and technical downhill (where I get off the back of the saddle), since I can't get enough finger wrap on the bar. So for a time, I switched to Ourys (non lock-on; on the H-Bar). I liked them for the latter usage but soon experienced pain on the heel of my hands, especially on longer rides.

My question is, would Ergon's rounder GA1/GE1 grips be a good middle ground for SS riding for my setup? Are they ergonomic enough for general and longer duration XC riding, yet round enough for when I need to move around on the bike?

I did a search and found this post by rockcrusher. Anybody else here have a similar experience and can vote for the GA1/GE1? If so, which would of the 2 would be your pick and why? Is the inner flange on the GE1 the only difference between them?

For reference, here's a bikeradar review of the GA1 which somehow answers some of my questions.
    Do you agree with it or not?

Would the lower-profile GX1 be an option for me? Will it offer significantly more finger wrap (and thus control) than the GP1-style grip?

I'm leaning towards the GE1 as I like the feel of the raised inner flange against the web part between my thumb and forefinger.

As a background, I'm riding a rigid 650B-converted Schwinn Moab with a Carnegie's bar and a WB RockSolid carbon fork.

Apologies for the long-winded post, but I'd appreciate any input.
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Dirty South Underdog
    I live on my bar ends when I ride the SS, so I use the GX2 Carbons. I do have the GA1s on my new FS, and they've been very comfortable so far- longest ride has been nearly 4 hours.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea138 View Post
    I live on my bar ends when I ride the SS, so I use the GX2 Carbons. I do have the GA1s on my new FS, and they've been very comfortable so far- longest ride has been nearly 4 hours.
    Thanks for that.

I'm pretty much sold on high sweep bars, thus have no need for bar ends. Good to hear about the GA1s though (but can't compare as you have them on a geared FS and I'll be using them on a rigid SS )

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Well since your riding 650b and have used at least 2 different what I will call "un normal" bars, you obviously have the money to try whatever grips you want. So just do it and ride your bike, my guess is you'll still find something on your bike you will want to replace

mtbr member
    I have run both on my SS and I too suffer from "death grip" syndrome.

Although the GA1 is better than many traditional grips, my hands would still be fatigued after longer rides. I have since switched to the GX1 and like them quite a bit. Definitely less fatigue and I have not found it to interfere with SS riding.
    Last edited by quelocotony; 11-28-2011 at 09:44 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by junglejim86 View Post
    Well since your riding 650b and have used at least 2 different what I will call "un normal" bars, you obviously have the money to try whatever grips you want. So just do it and ride your bike, my guess is you'll still find something on your bike you will want to replace
    On the contrary, this is my only bike. The frame is 8 years old. I had to sell the H-bar to buy the Carnegie's. My wheelset is the most expensive part of my bike, and I don't have plans of making any other major "upgrades." I have a family to feed, so bike parts purchases have to be carefully considered. I can't afford to buy "whatever" grips I want just to try them out. If that were the case, I wouldn't be asking here now would I?

Quote Originally Posted by quelocotony View Post
    I have run both on my SS and I to suffer from "death grip" syndrome.

Although the GA1 is better than many traditional grips, my hands would still be fatigued after longer rides. I have since switched to the GX1 and like them quite a bit. Definitely less fatigue and I have not found it to interfere with SS riding.
    Thanks for the very useful input

Much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink57 View Post
    I have a set of white ones and to be honest they do not feel and different then a standard lock on grip to me. They give me no additional wrist or palm support I get from my other ergon grips. I would save the cost and get something cheaper if you want this style. Also they suck a giant one when it gets wet.
    The GA1s? Interesting. I've read reviews that the subtle shaping is actually quite significant enough to make the grip feel better in the hand than "normal" cylindrical grips. Still, thanks for the input.

Did I catch a niner?
    I have a set of white ones and to be honest they do not feel and different then a standard lock on grip to me. They give me no additional wrist or palm support I get from my other ergon grips. I would save the cost and get something cheaper if you want this style. Also they suck a giant one when it gets wet.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1

agu
    mtbr member
    Try ESI Grips

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    So far so good. Here's my setup. Never used this style of grip before, but rather warming to them. Bar ends just right for SS cranking. Cheated and using them on carbon bars, but using their bar plugs and accurate torque wrench. Mat

mtbr member
    The Ergon GX-1 has better finger wrap, is softer yet still has the hel pad. The other grips you mentioned from Ergon (the enduro style) have minimal cushion and no heel pad, they hurt on a rigid bike. I have run almost every grip Ergon makes and the GX-1 is. in my opinion, what you are looking for. I use mine for daily riding, xc racing and endurance racing on both rigid and FS bikes; with bars with lots of sweep or no sweep. I really think these are the ones for you from your descriptions above. Best of luck.

mtbr member
    If you don't get enough finger wrap on regular Ergons try going down to the small size? I have large hands but like the feel of the smalls and they still support well. I don't ride them anymore, but I switched over to the specialized version as they clamp on the inside of the grip intead of at the bar end. I hit enough trees with my wide bars that I always had issues with the ergons clamp being at the end.

ballbuster
    I'm running GX1s and GS1s on all my bikes, all on H-Bars.

H-Bars are kind weird in a way. The out of saddle hammertime climbing position is actually slightly inboard on the outer bars, rather than at the outer edge 'saw the bike' position of traditional bars. Basically, this is because the bar has so much sweep that when you go to the outsides, you're pushing yourself back as well.

This kinda works for Ergon grips. The palm paddle is towards the outside of the grip. When out of saddle and cranking, your hands go slightly inboard to the round part of the grip. This at least works pretty well for me.

Also, I have crazy, freakishly large hands, like I buy XXL gloves and they sometimes fit well, sometimes not. I actually prefer the small Ergon grips. I feel I can get a better loose grip on them. I ran the large ones for a while, but found I kinda head to death'grip them to stay on.

I'm embarrassed about my lame bar wrap job in this pic. I have since redone it.

Quote Originally Posted by agu View Post
    Try ESI Grips
    Hmmm... I'm seeing a lot of love for ESIs in the SS forum.

You're confusing me even more

But options are good. Thanks Agu

Quote Originally Posted by mat-with-one-t View Post
    So far so good. Here's my setup. Never used this style of grip before, but rather warming to them. Bar ends just right for SS cranking. Cheated and using them on carbon bars, but using their bar plugs and accurate torque wrench. Mat
    Thanks Mat. Nice setup.
    Your bar is fairly conventional compared to mine though. Thanks all the same

Quote Originally Posted by SSPirate View Post
    The Ergon GX-1 has better finger wrap, is softer yet still has the hel pad. The other grips you mentioned from Ergon (the enduro style) have minimal cushion and no heel pad, they hurt on a rigid bike. I have run almost every grip Ergon makes and the GX-1 is. in my opinion, what you are looking for. I use mine for daily riding, xc racing and endurance racing on both rigid and FS bikes; with bars with lots of sweep or no sweep. I really think these are the ones for you from your descriptions above. Best of luck.
    Awesome. You're starting to sway me in the direction of the GX1s

Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    I'm running GX1s and GS1s on all my bikes, all on H-Bars.

H-Bars are kind weird in a way. The out of saddle hammertime climbing position is actually slightly inboard on the outer bars, rather than at the outer edge 'saw the bike' position of traditional bars. Basically, this is because the bar has so much sweep that when you go to the outsides, you're pushing yourself back as well.

This kinda works for Ergon grips. The palm paddle is towards the outside of the grip. When out of saddle and cranking, your hands go slightly inboard to the round part of the grip. This at least works pretty well for me.
    I concur with that effect, but personally don't like it. The prob is, for me, this is counter-intuitive to out-of-the-saddle mashing on a SS. I generally prefer a wider stance grip when doing so, not move my hands inboard. But I guess if it works for you... all good.
    Is that silver H-Bar Ti or Al? It's shaped like the Titec H-Bar but in silver?

BTW, any major diff between the GX1 and GS1? I reckon the former is smaller overall.

More votes for the GX1 than the GA1/GE1 so far.

Keep the comments coming guys. I really appreciate it

I saw in the Ergon Interbike video that the GX series is being discontinued for 2012
    Sonya Looney said the GS series will effectively be the only "racing" series grips they'll offer.

I guess I ought to start searching for LBSs that still have the GX1s in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by agu View Post
    Try ESI Grips
    Hey Agu, I went to visit Elvin over the weekend. He said you only brought in the Chunky's. Is this correct? Why isn't the Racer's Edge available?
    I grasped the Chunky's on his SS and while they felt good, I think I prefer something slimmer.
    I'm seriously considering getting the Racer's Edge in red if they were available