Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Ergo Grips on a SS

I have put some Ergo Grips on my SS and not sure if it is helping. When in the saddle they are great to rest palms on. However, on the SS I am standing 75% of the time and not sure if they helping or making my grip less secure. I only have 15 miles on new grips and want to know if you guys like em on SS?

Did I catch a niner?
    This is why bar ends are so great when standing it's a lot less stress on your wrists. I was against bar ends for a long time then I threw my old magnesium ergons on my bike and have never taken them off since.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1

mtbr member
    When I tried them I found the ones I had were a bit too big for me to grip the bar well compared to the grips I usually run...

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    At this point I can't imagine riding without ergonomicle grips but a lot of them are so fat it's impossible to really grip the bar. I love the ergon GS1 perfect grip.

RLK
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I had a set on my rigid SS and ended up switching them out. They really interfered with my ability to grip the bar, especially on rough descents.

mtbr member
    What many have said - comfortable while on saddle, not comfortable while standing up and mashing, but grabbing bar ends help.

I ended up switching to silicone grips. I do miss bar ends every now and then, but not nearly enough to switch back to Ergon grips from silicone grips.
    Ghisallo Wheels

I'm really good looking.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Bar ends?! Really!? Are we in the 90's? Bar ends are just extra wt. and catch trees. Junk the ergo crap and get some Ouri's...you'll love 'em.

B.Ike
    I have had a couple pair and like them, however, over the years I've concluded that they usually get used as a band-aid to mask bad fit in the cockpit.
    I still have a pair on my trail bike, but took them off my ss about a year ago and don't miss them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomzat View Post
    Bar ends?! Really!? Are we in the 90's? Bar ends are just extra wt. and catch trees. Junk the ergo crap and get some Ouri's...you'll love 'em.
    Bar ends make sense but they are dangerous. Are these what you talking about?

Oury Mountain Grip > Components > Handlebars and Stems > Grips | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

Do they need to be glued?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdog100 View Post
    Bar ends make sense but they are dangerous. Are these what you talking about?

Oury Mountain Grip > Components > Handlebars and Stems > Grips | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

Do they need to be glued?
    The ones you linked slide on with a bit of force and water. I have a set of those on my SS commuter. I have two sets of the lock on version of those, for for my geared hardtail and one for my SS rigid. In my opinion they are comfortable and are the only grips I use on any bike I put a lot of miles on.

Don't discount bar ends because of one persons comments here. I had them on an SS for a month. It felt really comfortable standing and climbing for long periods of time. I only took them off because I thought I was selling that bike.

mtbr member
    I tried Ergo Grips...but found Ergo bars were a much better solution

I use a Carnegie's Bar (25d bend) with ESI Chunky grips, maximum control and comfort.
    Origin 8 Scout 29
    Rodriquez Adventure

Blog

B.Ike
    bar ends, while out of fashion, are not dangerous. even in tight trees they are more likely to protect your hands from impact than they are to snag.

mtbr member
    ALL my bikes have cane creeks. Thought about the ergo's. Still might try them at some point, but the cane creek's are way to comfy. Can't imagine not having them on my bike (both ss and geared)..
    It's not how old I am, it's how old I feel - Minor Threat

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdog100 View Post
    I ... want to know if you guys like em on SS?
    Nope. Don't like 'em.

Bar ends are where it's at. Somebody said bar ends are out of fashion. I guess that person must be a slave to fashion. I've had bar ends on my bikes -- all my bikes, geared or SS -- since the late '80s and won't take 'em off cuz it isn't about fashion. It's about function.

Bar ends function very, very well.

As for grips... round grips for me.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

B.Ike
    ^^Hey, I was defending bar-ends. When I have them on I use them, when I don't, I don't miss them.

I'm not a fan of ergons. Just couldn't make them work. I stick to ESI chunkies.

Bar ends: I've used them with success on my past bikes. Until I discovered alt bars. One big advantage of alt bars are you can swing your weight back while climbing to give your rear tire the extra bite. Bar ends put me too far forward. I use Mary and Jones Loop.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I use Oury lock ons on my SS and think they're great. I don't run bar ends but plan on giving them a shot this season mostly just to be able to change my grip on long rides. I run Ergons on my FS bike but wouldn't want them for SS.

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by elwoodturner View Post
    ^^Hey, I was defending bar-ends. When I have them on I use them, when I don't, I don't miss them.
    I wasn't talking about you.

=S
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

B.Ike
    as far as bar-ends go, I believe ss is where they shine, since they only get used for out of the saddle climbing. (for me at least).

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I use Specialized body geometry narrow grips on my SS, and geared bike. I have been real happy with them. Tried ergons, but they felt too big for my taste.

Bar ends are not for me, but if you like them, use them, but just not on a riser bar please!!!!

Baby Bear is in the house
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Whisperer View Post
    I tried Ergo Grips...but found Ergo bars were a much better solution

I use a Carnegie's Bar (25d bend) with ESI Chunky grips, maximum control and comfort.
    This is my exact same setup: Carnegie's+ESI Chunkies.

I have the same experience as what others have said. The "ergo" type grips are very comfy while in the saddle. But being on a rigid SS, I found that I couldn't get a proper grip when moving about on the bike during standing climbs/sprints or when descending fast. I much prefer the round grip shape where I can get all my fingers around no matter what position I am on the bike.
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    i just got some ergo grips, and i feel like when i stand they are much harder on my hands than round grips were. my callouses on my ring and pinke fingers get a workout. at the same time i put the grips on, i switched to a slightly wider bar, so maybe that is part of it? but i dont think so. I do miss my bar ends.

mtbr member
    Maybe I've been running Ergon GP-1s so long I don't even notice, feel fine to me but you do need to get the angle right. I've tried Ouri and ESI in the past and came back to the Ergons.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Have GP2's on the SS and commuter (TREK SOHO Delux), love em'!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I had ODI Rogue grips with bar ends. Not long ago i switched to Ergon grips with the bar end. The Ergons are now my favourite part of my bike. love em!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast