A plain old rider

ENO flippity floppity

I just got my ENO hub in yesterday, hopefully the wheel will be built some time today.

So I have a question for those in the know. The hub is a flip flop hub and has one side strictly for a freewheel, but the other side will accept a track cog, but will it also accept another freewheel?

I figure its better to ask than to screw a beautiful hub like that up.

I did do a search on here for the answer, but everyone talks about the ENO so much that it would take hours to find.
    The greatest gift you ever give is your honest self.

Fred Rogers

One gear to rule them all
    I had two freewheels on my Surly flip/flop. The track cog side has less threads, but I never had a problem. Then again I did not use the freewheel that was on the track cog side very often. If I were you, I would put the lower tooth count freewheel on that side, less torque. I don't know if I can fully recommend it, but it does work.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tree
    I just got my ENO hub in yesterday, hopefully the wheel will be built some time today.

So I have a question for those in the know. The hub is a flip flop hub and has one side strictly for a freewheel, but the other side will accept a track cog, but will it also accept another freewheel?

I figure its better to ask than to screw a beautiful hub like that up.

I did do a search on here for the answer, but everyone talks about the ENO so much that it would take hours to find.
    Todd............. If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague

I am the owl
    If it has enough threads for a track cog, then it has enough engaged for a freewheel. It's not a problem to run a freewheel and it really doesn't matter if it's the higher or lower tooth count.

And remember, ant-sieze is your friend.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

mtbr member
    I am not sure this helps...

But referenced from: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/fixed-hubs.html

"The double fixed design lets you use a fixed sprocket or singlespeed freewheel on either side." as discussed for the Surly hubs. I am not sure this is applicable to the ENO, but it would greatly reduce my worries. The actual torque issue wouldn't worry me as much as the f/w's potential need for a larger footing. Especially considering that a fixed cog will undergo the same (if not more) torque as a f/w with less threads.

Hope this helps.

dd..''

A plain old rider

Thanks

Thanks for the help, with luck it will be ready this afternoon.

Dave
    The greatest gift you ever give is your honest self.

Fred Rogers

34N 118W

why not just...

call The Source?

pretty sure they're 'in the know'.

HW

Quote Originally Posted by The Tree

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood
    call The Source?

pretty sure they're 'in the know'.

HW
    This is a good idea in general, but my experience has been that most manufacturers will often recommend the conservative answer and avoid any potentially litigious action. This in turn reduces the usefulness of the ‘source’. But in the end, one just doesn’t know until they ask. And when they ask they should be aware of the aforementioned experience.

dd..'';/

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I'm pretty sure that the biggest practical problem is likely to be finding a chain length that allows you to run differently sized cogs. The Eccentric Eno does not have a huge adjustment range. One tooth might work, but I wouldn't bet on 2 or more.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daner
    I'm pretty sure that the biggest practical problem is likely to be finding a chain length that allows you to run differently sized cogs. The Eccentric Eno does not have a huge adjustment range. One tooth might work, but I wouldn't bet on 2 or more.
    That's why I use SRAM chains with the quick link. Once you know the two gear ratios you wish to use... If the ratios are dramatically different and the ENO is unable to take up the slack, then use a piece of chain to splice the difference (with an additional quick link). Once the system is in place, you can switch on the trail with few problems. Hope this helps.

dd..''

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dodjy
    That's why I use SRAM chains with the quick link. Once you know the two gear ratios you wish to use... And if the ratios are dramatically different and the ENO is unable to take up the slack, then use a piece of chain to splice the difference (with an additional quick link). Once the system is in place, you can switch on the trail with few problems. Hope this helps.

dd..''
    That's the tip of the week for me. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daner
    That's the tip of the week for me. Thanks!
    Quite happy to hear that it was helpful. It has worked for me for years... although I am finding myself settling into a set gear on the local trails. But, whenever I ride outside the normal trail system it works like a charm!

Cheers,
    dd..''