mtbr member
    Jul 2005

ENO Double/Double

ENO has a "double/double" crankset: http://www.whiteind.com/ENO_web/eno-index.html

IN - 35/19 - hit the mountain

OUT - 38/16 - around town

I'm considering this for a 29" SS MTB since I will be riding a mixture of long hills and flat areas. It has a double chainrink up front (35/38) and a double freewheel (16/19).

The advantage is that you can change gearing without flipping the wheel as in the case with a flip/flop hub.

Any opinions about this type of setup?

Cubicle Fugitive
    I've messed around with 3x1 and 2x1 set-ups on my CX bike and ultimately settled on a single speed 39x17 for all terrain. Its kind of a grind on really steep hills, and a little spinny on long flats, but I still prefer this set-up to chain slap, cranky derailleurs and shifters cluttering up my bike. I was quite surprised at how quickly I adapted to riding 37:17/700C on stuff I thought I needed 32:18/26" to clear.

I'd suggest at least trying a single before spending that much on the double ENO stuff.

mtbr member

I like my double double animal style

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    [I ran a 2x2 for awhile . No tensioner, just picked 2 combinations of ring and cog that had the same total tooth count and happened to fit my chain stay length without a tensioner. To switch from one gear to the other I flipped the bike over, lossened the rear wheel and shifted the chain by hand. It worked, but ultimatley I went to a 1x2 using a derailleur for a tensioner and shifting between the 2 cogs by turning the barrel adjuster on the derailleur. You need a short peice of brake cable with the head in the barrel adjuster and the other end clamped on the derailleur. More convenient and cleaner to do the shifting.