Old School

ENO Converts -- How do you like 'em?

Hey SSers,

I've got an old steel Bontrager (rigid) that I want to convert to singlespeed via the White Industries Eric Eccentric ENO hub.

I'd like to hear from folks that have experience with this hub/wheel.

Do you like it? Any problems? Anything I should consider? Are there any alternative eccentric hubs? Got one for sale?

Thanks,
    Joe

DSR
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I've got an ENO wheel now that I've switched to a dedicated EBB frame... but my buddy has already claimed it. Sorry!

As far as a review, it's awesome. And there is no other alternative that's as clean as an ENO rear hub, except for maybe the ENO cranks but I have no experience with those. Do a search on it and I'm sure you can find lots of reviews and thoughts from the archives. The only real downside on it is changing freewheels. Since it's eccentric, the process is a little involved. I think Ernesto's instructions include at least one beer. So I'd recommend an ENO hub and their new Dos freewheel (which includes two differenet sized "cogs") if you want to be able to easily change your gearing/ratio. And it's sealed so it's 100% better than the cheapo Shimano or ACS Claw freewheels.

So I say "do it." I'm sure most others will agree. S

WAWE
    Jan 2004
    Great idea and it really works well.... one minor downside if is some unavoidable bearing play because the hub design doesn't offer preload adjustment.

mtbr member

Truly brilliant design...

Only problem I have is switching freewheels and it is the same problem I would have with any other freewheel hub. SOB is on there so freaking tight. Looks like I will need a vice to get it off. Removing the axle end to put the freewheel tool on is a 30 sec job at best. Get one and you will never regret it.