Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 5power's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    251

    Enduro SS build lets see it...

    Currently been ignoring my carbon Niner SS.... My stumpy EVO gear bike is soo much fun. I do miss SS but not the wagon wheel or the xc feel.

    So who has a SS enduro build? 150mm and up trail slasher. The 2 frames I'm looking at are Trans am and Santa Cruz lizard. I need SS dropouts so a Chromag is out of the question already call them up. Would love to go carbon but can't find anything. Don't like the 456 carbon would rock a 456 ti if I can find one any others I'm missing?

    Parts I have so far would love to be under 22lbs complete

    I9 AM wheelset
    reverb seatpost
    Xo with hbc ring crankset
    XTR trail brakes
    Revelation Worldcup xx 150mm
    Chromag bars and 50mm stem.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    71
    Sounds fun!

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    241
    I own a Carbon 456 and have run it both single speed and geared. I've also ran a variety of forks on it; 105 mm Marzocchi Marathon S (2003), Manitou Super Nixon (140mm) and a Rock Shox Domain with uturn adjust from 115-160.

    Personally, I like running the 160 up there the best. But then again, the bike handle super sluggish. Like a cadillac cruiser. The carbon seems to bounce me around quite a bit more than dampen the ride too. The fact that the top tube is so god damn long too really puts me off on the bike. I like running a short stem and wide bars, but really, the top tube is so long it really negates how I like to run my bikes.

    I'd really suggest to get another frame.

    Besides that, riding a SS with a long travel fork is fun stuff. I'd consider the chameleon. Ever think about doing a FS with a Alfine tensioner?

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,094
    Just FYI, Chromag does have one SS frame in stock. Email them direct. Not sure what size it is.

  5. #5
    Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Reputation: NEPMTBA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    7,017
    PICS PICS PICS PICS...
    ...as soon as possible!

    LOL

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 5power's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    251
    I emailed Sean at Chromag and they only have custom SS builds starting at 1300 and up. It's tempting but more than I like to spend on a hard tail that's not carbon or ti.

    Thanks for the input MrBaker glad to hear that a long travel ss bike are fun that's what I'm looking for. I'll cross the 456 off my list seems like the long top tube makes the bike more xc than am. As for FS with a tensioner I just don't like the looks of it plus I think a hardtail would be more snappy. The trend on pinkbike lately is guys on long travel hardtail tearing it up!! I guess I'm trying to be trendy.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 5power's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    251
    Ahhh this is a sweet build Belt drive long travel SS. Don't know much about belt drive though.

    Megavalanche Class Won on Hardtail

  8. #8
    Bro Mountainbiker
    Reputation: Sheepo5669's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,537
    There are a few of these on the forums. There is a guy on the Transition forum/AM forum that has a SSed Trans AM. I dont know his name off the top of my head.

    I personally would love a AM hardtail! It would probably have gears though. I gotta have DH speed!

    And 22 pounds would be a stretch. Maybe 25lbs.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

  9. #9
    eBiker
    Reputation: Mr.P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,102
    Love the SS for the valley trails, and this solved my issue of having to slow down.

    Ragley MmmBop

    Climbs, hucks, rails.

    66 degree head angle
    Gravity Dropper
    150mm Revelation with handelbar lockout
    Around 24 pounds.

    My other bike is an Enduro, and this is very much like a more efficient Enduro for smooth trails. All trail nuggets are on! Very worth it.

    P

    I've posted this up a few times, sorry for the repost...







    Here at an 8 hour race.


  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 5power's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    251
    Sick bike, I didn't see this frame on their site. I went ahead and order a Santa Cruz Lizard I'll post pics when I finish the build. The 2013 had a tapered head tube and SS dropouts with a weight of 4lbs plus this Santa Cruz video sold me its looks much fun.

    Santa Cruz Bicycles' Steve Peat and Josh Bryceland on the New Chameleon - YouTube

  11. #11
    Bro Mountainbiker
    Reputation: Sheepo5669's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,537
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.P View Post
    Love the SS for the valley trails, and this solved my issue of having to slow down.

    Ragley MmmBop

    Climbs, hucks, rails.

    66 degree head angle
    Gravity Dropper
    150mm Revelation with handelbar lockout
    Around 24 pounds.

    My other bike is an Enduro, and this is very much like a more efficient Enduro for smooth trails. All trail nuggets are on! Very worth it.

    P

    I've posted this up a few times, sorry for the repost...







    Here at an 8 hour race.

    Okay sir, thats freaking sick. Dont believe the 24 pound number though! Ill believe it when I see it hanging from a scale
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

  12. #12
    eBiker
    Reputation: Mr.P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,102
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    Dont believe the 24 pound number though! Ill believe it when I see it hanging from a scale
    Me too. All I have is a bathroom scale, so give that number some breathing room.

    I will say that the frame is a weighed 4 pounds (w/ a 1.5 HT!) and the fork is just under 4 pounds. That makes it a nice light base to build from.

    P
    Last edited by Mr.P; 12-04-2012 at 10:16 AM.

  13. #13
    undercover brother
    Reputation: tangaroo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    875
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    There are a few of these on the forums. There is a guy on the Transition forum/AM forum that has a SSed Trans AM. I dont know his name off the top of my head.

    I personally would love a AM hardtail! It would probably have gears though. I gotta have DH speed!

    And 22 pounds would be a stretch. Maybe 25lbs.
    I don't know if you are referring to me or not. There's a couple floating around the forum. I love mine. It's the most fun bike I've ever had. I increased the travel from 140mm to 150mm and my hope/flows wheels are on the way (I somehow managed to convince my gf to give them to me early - they're my christmas present). There's some local dh runs and I spin out a lot, but it forces me to pump the trail more, which makes the trails even better! Mine weighs in at 25 lbs here, when I get the flow/hopes on there, I'm guessing it'll be right under 26lbs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Enduro SS build lets see it...-imag0365.jpg  


  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    133
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.P View Post
    Me too. All I have is a bathroom scale, so give that number some breathing room.

    I will say that the frame is a weighed 4 pounds (w/ a 1.5 HT!) and the fork is just under 4 pounds. That makes it a nice light base to build from.

    P
    Seems reasonable. I started with a heavier frame, a marz 44 rc3 150 ti coil, dropper,tensioner, 10 inches of excess brake line and almost dropped below 25lbs. The xtr wheels were not really enduro though.I ended up moving the wheels and 2.25 NN to a new inbred with a 120 reba rlt and it's looking to build up around 23lbs. Throwing on xtr trails with 2.4 NN's to bring up the weight a bit on the 456 now. I'll pick up some flows down the road but couldn't pass up the trail wheels when they went on sale for 300.00 on thanksgiving.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Enduro SS build lets see it...-photo-1-.jpg  


  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    133
    Quote Originally Posted by 5power View Post
    Sick bike, I didn't see this frame on their site. I went ahead and order a Santa Cruz Lizard I'll post pics when I finish the build. The 2013 had a tapered head tube and SS dropouts with a weight of 4lbs plus this Santa Cruz video sold me its looks much fun.

    Santa Cruz Bicycles' Steve Peat and Josh Bryceland on the New Chameleon - YouTube

    Congrats on the Lizard! I'm sure it will be a blast with your planned build.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •