Thread: Endurance...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Endurance...

I ride with a group of very fast gearies once a week after work. We average 10mph on crazy colorado mountain singletrack and go for 2.5-3.5 hrs. These are some of my favorite rides, they totally kill me on the ss if the ride goes >3hrs though. My only bike has been a SS 16.5" chameleon with a 75mm stem setup more for aggressive riding than xc, I am almost 5'11.

I am in the process of building a more dedicated xc bike(19.5" bianchi superbee) and have it setup SS right now.

The dilemma is that I want start going on weekend rides with this same group where they go for 5-6 hours at roughly the same pace. My other SS buddy who rides the afterwork rides, rides gears on these rides and thinks its impossible to ride SS at that pace for so long in the mountains where you end up standing for entire 20min climbs.

If I don't run a 2:1 ratio I will never keep up.

So my choices as I see them in order of preference:

1. My friend is wrong I must get stronger longer-lots of training

2. Setup bianchi with melvin tensioner and 2 chainrings for dingle, allows me to sit more on long climbs.

3. go geared

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Oh and under choice 1. there are a few options to make my ride more efficient. Go rigid, get a waltworks rigid 29er ,,,

JAK
    mtbr member

I call it...

32X20, the Norhern Rockies gear for long rides.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiMana
    I do the same with strong geared riders. I couldn't imagine 2:1 in the Mountains. I keep up fine. I attack the techy steeps and when I blow up, as I catch my breath, I cheer my buddies on as they trials their way up. We play leap-frog games. It is fun
    Night has fallen.
    And there's nothin' we can do about it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I am actually running 34:18 right now have tried 32:16 and 32:18 all on 180mm cranks. Maybe I should try something lower for the longer rides?

the cool nerd
    I think that 34:20 for the long rides in the mountains (NM and CO) is a great ratio. 34:18 is good for shorter rides, but you really suffer over the long haul, or if you want to ride long the next day, but I'm able to keep up fairly well with my geared friends on a 34:20 for most trails. The largest amount of suffering usually comes on jeep road sections of trails. I can easily maintain the climbing pace (at least until I blow), it's a nice gear for ST, lots of ST descending favors a taller gear, uless its tight or steep and then I can keep up. After that its all up to you and your endurance. Give it a try..

scott

mtbr member
    I can't speak for the gear ratios everybody and every trail is different. What you can do is train to raise your anaerobic threshold so you don't blow up soon.

Pssst, here's what you can do now. I'll bet you are following the other riders. Don't let the gearies set the pace. What you want to do is get out in front and set the pace. On singletrack they'll have to conform to your pace or get touchy and say "on your left!". Then to prove they meant it they'll push too hard and eventually seek an easier pace.

You want to be in front for another reason, gearies tend to slow down and spin up for an obstacle, if you're following you lose momentum. If you lead you can plan your own surge over a difficult section.

mtbr member
    I ride with a group of very fast gearies once a week after work. We average 10mph on crazy colorado mountain singletrack and go for 2.5-3.5 hrs. These are some of my favorite rides, they totally kill me on the ss if the ride goes >3hrs though. My only bike has been a SS 16.5" chameleon with a 75mm stem setup more for aggressive riding than xc, I am almost 5'11.

I am in the process of building a more dedicated xc bike(19.5" bianchi superbee) and have it setup SS right now.

The dilemma is that I want start going on weekend rides with this same group where they go for 5-6 hours at roughly the same pace. My other SS buddy who rides the afterwork rides, rides gears on these rides and thinks its impossible to ride SS at that pace for so long in the mountains where you end up standing for entire 20min climbs.

So my choices as I see them in order of preference:

1. My friend is wrong I must get stronger longer-lots of training

2. Setup bianchi with melvin tensioner and 2 chainrings for dingle, allows me to sit more on long climbs.

3. go geared

Get a 29'r nuff said

banned
    Apr 2004

No shame with running gears

consider it cross training for your single speeding.

I know some say they are faster on a single speed but there is no way I could ever keep up with my evil twin on a gearie.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I am definitly faster for rides 2.5hrs or less on the SS. After the 3hr mark I start to really suffer on my ss at my normal pace.

Hairshirt Rider
    Oh and under choice 1. there are a few options to make my ride more efficient. Go rigid, get a waltworks rigid 29er ,,,
    A quiver is the answer, that or find some new riding buddies.

I'll make my way up for a few of those rides when the weather turns, that way you will have somone SSuffer with off the back.

mtbr member
    How about making the new bike a 1x8?

Medium?
    Pfffffft...

Quote Originally Posted by DOOM
    Get a 29'r nuff said

Medium?

Just go

on the weekend rides and let them kick your ass a few times. You'll get stronger, or die trying. I'm guessing the former.

the cool nerd
    Quote Originally Posted by pacman
    I can't speak for the gear ratios everybody and every trail is different. What you can do is train to raise your anaerobic threshold so you don't blow up soon.

Pssst, here's what you can do now. I'll bet you are following the other riders. Don't let the gearies set the pace. What you want to do is get out in front and set the pace. On singletrack they'll have to conform to your pace or get touchy and say "on your left!". Then to prove they meant it they'll push too hard and eventually seek an easier pace.

You want to be in front for another reason, gearies tend to slow down and spin up for an obstacle, if you're following you lose momentum. If you lead you can plan your own surge over a difficult section.
    pacman's strategy is drop-dead gorgeous. Works most of the time....

hispanic mechanic

In agreement with most...

You're getting some good advice- well, except for Fast Eddy's reply to DOOM. You reallyshould get a rigid 29"!
    Gearing down, while it sounds counterproductive, will help you keep up on longer rides. Pacman's got some great advice, too. I find that it balances out- geared riders are faster on the flats, and (for me, anyway[riding fixed]) smooth DH. I generally keep up pretty well on lower speed, technical DH, and I'm usually a fair amount faster on the climbs.
    Try it out a few times. To quote Freidrich, and paraphrase Fast Eddy, "That which does not kill us, makes us stronger."

the los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Definitly show you'll have a blast, I'll let you know when they start up for the season.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    yep, thats what i'll do but in order to survive I think I should gear down abit as others have suggested.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Get new friends? Cut their gear cables? Lead them through rock/mud gardens where their blingy bits get stuffed?

I agree that the best advice is to lead as much as possible at the start of a hill. Gearies always seem to slow down just before a hill while they go crunching through their cogs.

A lower gear may be the answer. As no less that a certain 6 time TdeF champ uses. It's easier to work in your aerobic than anaerobic zone if it's a long haul.
    "The man is richest whose pleasures are the cheapest" Henry David Thoreau (obviously a single speeder)

"...everytime you throw something away your load gets lighter..."