Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Is this the end of my FS trail riding?

After a few months of lurking on this forum, I finally purchased my first SS. It's being built as we speak and I'll take my first turns on her later this week. Needless to say, I'm nervous and excited.

After reading hundreds of SS posts, I've noticed that a large number of SS riders pretty much stopped riding their FS after making the switch to a SS. I have a very sweet FS 29r and the thought of letting her go also makes me nervous and excited. I'm curious how many of you still ride your FS bikes? Also, what is your criteria for riding one over the other? Is it the type of trail, a need for variety, or are there other factors that are less obvious.

I'm excited to hear your responses.

mtbr member
    It would probably depend on the trails you ride. I know I want an FS sooner or later. When I do get one I know I'll still keep my SS. I don't see why one can't have both. I just need space for more bikes in my apartment...

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I used to have a FS and a rigid singlespeed.

The FS came out occasionally but no where as much as my SS. But with the poor weather we've had for the last few years I just used the SS. I now have a Reba fork on it and its my only bike. I ride the same trails with the same people. The only diference is that i'm slower on some of the tougher descents that the big FS would plough through.

You'll find it happens naturally, you'll go out one morning and look at you FS and say "hey I haven't rode that bike in 10 years."

mtbr member

I have a rigid SS 29er and a FS 29er 2x10. I love them both and love to ride all the time. I'm in my 40's now and after a couple rides on the SS it's nice to jump on the other bike and let it take some of the pounding.
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiantsfan View Post
    I'm in my 40's now and after a couple rides on the SS it's nice to jump on the other bike and let it take some of the pounding.
    I'm in my 60's now and prefer riding my rigid singlespeed to my FS bike

mtbr member
    Sold my FS recently.

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Opinions will vary wildly. Personally, I have a FS 29er and my rigid SS 29er. Which one I ride is only affected by where I'm riding when the place that I'm riding simply isn't "going to happen" on my SS - which is to say climbs so steep I end up getting off my geared bike and pushing anyway, followed by downhills with massive rock gardens. There is a level of abuse I won't subject myself to. Other than that, which bike I ride depends on how I feel. If I feel beat up, I'll take the FS. If I don't, usually the SS. Unless where I'm riding has lots of flats that I can't pump on, then maybe the FS so I can keep speed up without looking like an F1 engine (18k rpm). So, don't lament your FS bike yet. Odds are, you'll find yourself wanting to ride it some days. Or in particular places you may find you like it more. Or on group rides where no one else rides SS, you may find it's easier to "ride with everyone else" when you're on a geared bike. The reasons I've been known to take one bike over the other have been as ludicrous how many clouds are in the sky. I enjoy riding both bikes for very different reasons.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Don't fret, you've got a great problem - 2 cool bikes. Personally, I switch back and forth between the SS and FS somewhat seasonally. I ride the SS almost exclusively through the winter and spring, but as the trails dry up on the summer I start to reach for the geared bike. Also, I like to have the FS for bigger rides, especially big rides with plenty of gnar.

I love having both, but I find that I don't always love each bike. In other words, sometimes I pull the SS out in the middle of the summer when the trails are hard, loose, and have little traction and wonder why I remember loving it so much - and conversely sometimes pull the fs out on a sloppy winter day, and end up staring at the mud crusted, no-longer-shifting-right drivetrain and wish for my ss...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I rode full suspension for about 10 years, then I bought a used 29er SS and I ended up selling the FS! My climbing style changed and I couldn't deal with the rear end flex of FS.

Of course, now I wish had another FS, but I now realize I would probably end up using it about 2-3 times a year. Most of the trails I ride and my skill level work best with a hardtail. If you have the option, keep both bikes!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I have both and ride both almost equally. Although I ride different bikes based on the season as well. FS 29 1x10 and Rigid SS. SS in the winter or elements is so nice because you don't have all the headaches of suspension, gears etc getting wet or having issues.

The FS is great for when I have a lot of time to ride or the trails are pretty rugged. It teaches me how to go over technical stuff faster and with more confidence.

The SS is when I have limited time and I want to get in a short quick bike ride but still feel like I did something or when the trails are smooth. It teaches me how to maintain momentum and how to pick smoother lines.

It is my 29 HT 2x9 that gets no love now. My FS 29 is lighter by about about a pound and it also has lighter wheels. It just seems like I don't have any advantage with my HT over my Epic which is pretty much set up like a HT with suspension when you need it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    You can also set up your FS single speed.
    ETR/D / bike chain tensioners and other goodies / your friends at yess labs

Just sayin'

mtbr member
    I rode FS for 16 years. I bought my first SS last August. The last time I rode my FS was last November. It's now for sale.
    I ride rocky trails but for me I feel like I take less of a beating because I'm standing more while climbing. There are a lot of variables so just give it time and you'll see what you prefer. Variety is great, but I just like having one MT bike and no decisions.
    18" rigid Unit

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
    I'm in my 60's now and prefer riding my rigid singlespeed to my FS bike
    but you still have both...I would probably ride my SS much more but its not as fun in Annadel or on long climbs. Its great for China Camp and GGP.
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I bought my dream FS 29er last year, and was totally in love with it until I bought my current dream SS 29er (Lynskey Pro29sl).....The Lynskey fits me like a glove, and I can't get the FS bike to feel the same way. I have done more 2-3hr rides on the SS, and I rarely think "man I wish I had my FS bike" anymore. I rode it the other day, and really thought It'd be nice to have the gears, not the rear suspension.

I'm thinking of selling the FS frame and buying the same frame as my SS in a fixed dropout version...My wife is gonna be pissed!

Just Ride
    I was originally gonna save up for a decent FS rig. Either going with 3k for the budget or 5, but then I picked up my current SS for $700 and I couldn't be happier. So much so that I don't have the least bit of desire for a FS now! As I get older that may change.

Went riding with my brother in law this past sunday. He has a FS worth closer to 6 or 7k that he got for a steel on fleebay. Full XTR spec, yada yada yada...blah blah blah. Anyway I left him in the dust! I did stall out on a climb, due to coming unclipped after striking a rock, where he was able to pass me, but it wasn't long before I blew him away a few climbs later! Just made it that much more fun! He's cocky as hell and it's nice to be able to put him in his place once in awhile!

With more experiences like that I'm sure I'll continue to be less than inclined to dump a bunch of cash on a FS. I'm gonna spend my money on knocking the weight off my SS instead!
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    For me, it all depends on my mood - time of year - and who I am riding with that day. Typically I like to ride my SS on night rides with friends. When I want to ride really fast by myself I ride my 100mm FS 29er.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    My SS 29er is my goto bike these days and gets 80% of my riding.

That said, the FS 29er bombs the rougher downhills sooooo much faster, so when I'm going somewhere with great downhills or a bunch of slower friends riding FS that's what I take.

The SS is a great training vehicle and just a simple blast to ride, but it's not everything.

mtbr member
    I still ride my 26er FS...Usually the day after a long, challenging SS ride! Keep both if you can..... It's nice to have a hardtail 29er to mix it up even more.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Definitely depends on your trails. I love a rigid singlespeed, used to have one that I loved riding but didn't suit much around here. Even my 130mm 29er FS is barely enough bike for the trails I typically ride - at least at the pace I try to ride them.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

mtbr member
    When you first ride a SS mountainbike, you'll probably be excited by the change and think about selling the FS.

Don't.

After a while on my rigid SS 29er I tried the 26" FS and had tons of fun again! The riding style is different, you learn new things and appreciate the different characteristics of the bike.

psycho cyclo addict
    I have three 29er's: rigid steel SS, full suspension and hard tail. I ride the SS and the HT a bit more often than the FS.

For me it is about picking the right tool for the job. Endurance races, super technical trails and times when by back is less than happy warrant breaking out the FS. I ride the HT weekly on an urban assault ride (I've ridden the FS which does fine and SS too on some of the slower ones- average pace is ~15 MPH which is a bit spinny even with 34x15 gearing). I ride the SS more often on trails in the area where I live and when I go on slower pace rides with the GF so I can get a good workout.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Another thing is you are assuming you are going to like it. Different sections of the forum are biased and you are going to have to take it FWIW. Generally people in the SS forum are going to think that SS is the way of life. People in Bike Brand X forum are generally going to think brand X rocks and brand Y is not as good. People in the SS forum are going to say that SS is faster then geared. This is because THEY are faster on a SS than on a geared bike because they are used to riding SS and train on SS. People may also have different anatomies that go well with SS. Bikes aren't fast. People are fast. Bikes are just tools of the job.

After looking and reading about fixed gear biking I was really excited about it and thought it was going to be the coolest thing and a lot of fun and set up my bike with a tomicog. 30 seconds into my ride I decided that it didn't allow me to do all the things that I love about biking. The feel of standing and coasting down a fast downhill. Pumping and flowing and not having to pedal but maintain speed or even gain speed on flats. Coasting and getting both feet level and bunny hopping over things. Hitting both brakes at the last second and make a sharp turn. Leaning really hard in a turn and lifting the inside foot up and the outside foot down to prevent clipping a root with the cranks.

I kept on riding for 45 minutes or so to put in a good effort but in the end fixed gear just made things more complicated, slower, harder, and less fun. Others love it and think that it is the only way to bike.

So in short. Keep your current rides for a while. Try it out for yourself and see if you like it. Some things can get hyped up, especially by people who are fanatical about them, especially in the section of the forum where SS fanatics reside.

Just to let everyone know. I do not think there is anything wrong with being fanatical about something. You like what you like and you want to show others why you think certain things are fun/cool. I do it all the time and it is what makes us all interesting and fun. Sometimes it doesn't make any sense and I try to explain things and people just give me weird looks and even when I talk about it out loud I sound dumb to myself.

A conversation that I had...
    So you bought a new bike?....Yep. Is it lighter than your other bikes? No, it is actually a couple pounds heavier. Does it have more gears? No, it is actually a single speed. So it has more suspension then? No, it is actually a rigid bike. So why did you buy it? Because it is fun and different.

Look at the difference of these two forums. Same bike.....different responses.
    2013 Scott Scale 29er RC Custom... 16 lbs 1 oz........

16 lbs 1oz Scott Scale 29er Custom Built....

Sorry for the rambling. You may like SS, you may not. It's really no big deal. Don't feel like you have to do anything to impress anyone other than yourself.

mtbr member

Today was my first ride ever on a SS. Borrowed it from a neighbor just to try and I locked out the fork for the fully rigid experience. Last Jan I took delivery of a 2013 5" f/s trail bike and I love it a ton, but the SS feeling is just different. For me it was a more methodical ride. Slower, but not more boring, just different. I had to pay attention to the landscape more and be deliberate about choosing the right line. This made the ride more entertaining.

Furthermore, there's something cool about looking down and seeing two cables emanating from the HB and that's it. Contrast that against a f/s 2x10 with a dropper, and even a 740mm bar gets pretty cluttered. I know it's in my head (because I weighed both) but the uncluttered look of the SS gave me a sense that the bike was somehow lighter and more playful than my trail bike. They weigh almost the same.

I now understand what 'it' is about a SS that people like. I want one so I can complement the other end of the riding spectrum. It will be the 'grab n' go' bike; the one where I don't have to fuss as much about maintenance. The one that forces to go a bit slower but allows me to look around a little bit more.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local chapter. It's trail karma.

Rohloff
    Years ago, I thought I'd check out the whole rigid 29er SS thing. I really liked the 29er and SSing, but didn't like getting beat up on the trails. I bought a Lenz Milk Money. Nice bike but odd geometry. I'd really like to build up another FS SS bike some day.

Just Ride
    I'm finding that comparing my own personal times at the different trails around between the SS and my old 1x8 I find I'm about 4-6 minutes slower than the pace of my geared bike. I care not as I'm having a whole hell of alot more fun on the SS!
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast