Thread: El Mariachi SS

mtbr member

El Mariachi SS

Been kicking around the idea of turning my El Mariachi into a SS in the future. Has anyone else done this and was it relatively easy? I know that the dropouts are made to make this easy, but admittedly have 0 experience doing this. I can post this in the Salsa forum if this is the wrong place. Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    What year El Mariachi do you have? I know the older ones had EBB and the newer ones have the swing dropouts. I had a 2010 for a season. Setting it up SS is super easy. All you need is a good cog (Surly or the likes), spacers for the cog (you can buy a aluminum spacers or if you're cheap like me, get 1.25" PVC pipe and cut), SS chainring (I use Surly), and that's pretty much it.

mtbr member
    I bought it last year and it is the all green El Mar 2. No special hubs or anything like that?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    No special hub needed. Scroll down to "cassette hub" in the link below. Again, super easy to do.

Singlespeed Bicycle Conversions

mtbr member
    Nice, thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I will throw in my 2c, and plug. Endless Cog and Fibonacci Spacer Kit. You will have perfect chainline and great cog for a cassette hub. The swing dropouts are great and easy to use. Make sure to torque the bolts correctly and after doing so, give the set screws another 1/8 to 1/4 turn to make sure everything is nice and snug. Get a SRAM PC 850 chain and you are good to go.
    Independent Fabrications Steel Deluxe 29 SS
    Salsa El Mariachi Steel SS

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    You're gonna love it!!! I have the light blue, 2010 or 2011?, version with swinging dropouts setup SS. I also have a SIR9 with EBB setup SS and I much prefer the chain tensioning on the El Mar.

What crankset/setup are you running up front? If you're running a double or triple up front you may want to consider getting a single speed chain ring which is nothing more than a chain ring without ramps or pins which helps the chain jump over when shifting on a 2x or 3x setup. If you do this you need to make sure the bolt patterns are the same and depending on setup you may need new chain ring bolts of a different length.

mtbr member
    +1 for Endless stuff, and a huge +1 for converting to SS.

mtbr member
    Now I'm getting excited. Looks like I'll need a new crankset as the El Mar comes with that ridiculous FSA 3 bolt system that you can't find anywhere for chainrings unless you have someone build one. So, this will be on the backburner for now but I appreciate the responses as I'm going to save my pennies for parts and bits and start doing some singlespeeding! Is it relatively easy to swap back and forth between SS and geared?

mtbr member
    El mariachi was designed to be a singlespeed. That's one of the reasons why I bought this frame when building my SS. Swining dropouts work really well and it's easy to adjust the tension and to center the wheel. One thing that hasn't been mensioned is straight chainline. Be sure that the cog and the chainring are perfectly in line.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Hey titusracer. How do you get your Endless cogs to fit. Mine are so tight and hard to get on and very hard to remove. I have tried sanding and using a dremel but they are still very tight. Didn't know if there are any tricks to make this a simple process. For what they cost I hate to spend that much time on them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    What size are the chainrings on your 3 bolt cranks? You'll still be able to run it singlespeed, just get the right rear cog.

ps, i'm another El Mar SSer

mtbr member

Re: El Mariachi SS

I have 39 and 27 tooth on there now. Spacers and the 27 with maybe 16-18?

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Check craigslist for a crank. I stumbled across an older XTR for an awesome price. Put a blackspire ring on it and off I went. Or ebay for an older XT or XTR. Can't go wrong. Just don't forget to get some shorter chainring bolts! And I know I used one BB spacer on the drive side to get my chainring to clear the chainstay.

@needajob - what wheelset are you running? I have a set of Stan's Crest with the original freehub on it. I bought it used so it had some wear from the previous owner's cassette (gouging some of the freehub). I took a small file to the bigger indentations etc. on the freehub to get them back to down to normal. Endless Cog went right on after that, no problem.

If you are still having issues, give Endless a call. They are super nice and helpful, and I am sure you guys could figure it out. They stand behind their products.
    Independent Fabrications Steel Deluxe 29 SS
    Salsa El Mariachi Steel SS

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I have Crest with the Stans 330 hubs also. My Chris King cogs fit fine and I have not had trouble with one of my Endless cogs. On there website it mentions that you might have to "modify" cog for a smooth fit. I just don't want to modify it too much and have it be loose and I don't want to spend a lot of time on it. It is nice to be able to change cogs so easily with the alternator drops and not worry about chain length. I will just leave the CK on there for now and give Endless a call. Thanks for your reply!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I found a mtbr thread on the FSA three bolt chainrings, see link below. You'd probably want to see if they have a 34 or better yet a 32 T option in lieu of the 36T. Pretty decent price in my opinion especially if it keeps you from buying a whole new crankset.

Single chainring for FSA 3-bolt crank

Titus brings up a good point about frame clearance with the front chainring. You can do this if there turns out to be an issue with clearance or another option would be to install the ring to the outside of the spider maybe? I'm actually about to have to do something similar to my SIR9 to run a 34T front ring. Doing this would most likely dictate that the rear cog be spaced further towards the outside of the freehub.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by needajob View Post
    I have Crest with the Stans 330 hubs also. My Chris King cogs fit fine and I have not had trouble with one of my Endless cogs. On there website it mentions that you might have to "modify" cog for a smooth fit. I just don't want to modify it too much and have it be loose and I don't want to spend a lot of time on it. It is nice to be able to change cogs so easily with the alternator drops and not worry about chain length. I will just leave the CK on there for now and give Endless a call. Thanks for your reply!
    I have had to file Endless and Rennen aluminum cogs to fit on different hubs. The ZTR one one of them. You don't have to file much. A simple flat file works fine.

mtbr member

Re: El Mariachi SS

Quote Originally Posted by borders83 View Post
    I found a mtbr thread on the FSA three bolt chainrings, see link below. You'd probably want to see if they have a 34 or better yet a 32 T option in lieu of the 36T. Pretty decent price in my opinion especially if it keeps you from buying a whole new crankset.

Single chainring for FSA 3-bolt crank

Titus brings up a good point about frame clearance with the front chainring. You can do this if there turns out to be an issue with clearance or another option would be to install the ring to the outside of the spider maybe? I'm actually about to have to do something similar to my SIR9 to run a 34T front ring. Doing this would most likely dictate that the rear cog be spaced further towards the outside of the freehub.
    Yeah, I ordered one from them and it wasn't machined properly. Been waiting on the replacement since before valentines day. They stopped answering my emails so I am returning the one I have to (hopefully) get my money back.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    27-15/16 is around the 32-18 that alot of people use.

A rear cog is a lot cheaper than a chainring if your giving it a go.

If it works either keep it or switch.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Bummer to hear about the chain ring. If you use your existing chain ring your can try it without a chain keeper, in fact one of my friends uses a ramped 32T chain ring on her SS with no chain keeper and has never dropped the chain. But if you do find that your chain jumps off you could play with the chain line to see if that helps. Otherwise there are a number of chain keepers you can use. Some mount to the bottom bracket while others to the seatpost, which I prefer since you don't have to take out the bottom bracket to install. I have the Origin8 ultim8 chain guide for a 1x9 and it works well and was only 26 bones. You could also use your front derailleur (I hate spelling that word) if you wanted to give SS a try before going all in on new components up front.

mtbr member

El Mariachi SS

Yeah I called and emailed them again yesterday with no response. Next step is the BBB. I just want my $40 back.

Anyway, I appreciate all of the responses. Now in getting excited and I may do this next pay check!