Thread: EBB's

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

EBB's

Can anyone share their experiences with an EBB? I have considered one for a bit now, but it seems like 1) they creak a lot and need to be regreased often 2) they come loose during a ride and need to be adjusted. I also understand there may more problems with a Bushnell style VS. a slotted shell with pinchbolts.

I am sure there are good stories, but I want to hear some before moving forward with the thoughts in my feeble mind. I am just trying to figure out the best way to set up a disk brake singlespeed, an EBB or a slotted mount like a Surly, Bianchi, or Spot. The Kona Unit scares me a bit and I do not know why. It just seems like those sliding dropouts could be a problem in the future. My original though was that that solution had two bolts instead of one (bolt on wheel), but then I remembered many bolt on wheels are used in conjuction with a chain tug. Any thoughts on that frame would be appreciated as well.

I guess in my mind, an EBB may not be the best solution for a high torque bike like a SS. I guess the original use for an EBB is a tandem and that is for setting up the timing between the two riders, not as chain tension so the torque does not apply.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Bikes not Bombs.....

EBB is the way to go....

No Problems on mine. No slippage, No creaking, No need for constant regreasing....Just set and go.

JS
    [SIZE=2]Thanks to all of you for your friendships on this board..... [/SIZE] -

(aka SS_MB-7)
    I'm going on my 4th race season (I ride 12 months a year) on my Bushnell EBB and it has been flawless.....never creaks, never loosened, etc. I liked the EBB so much, I had it spec'd on my SS 'cross bike (2 yrs old) even though it doesn't use discs. Similarly, despite the mud, snow, rain, etc. associated with 'cross, it has been flawless. Now, the only maintenance (if you can call it that) I do on my EBBs is, once a season, I'll remove the EBB, thoroughly clean and re-grease. That's it.

When I spec'd my Seven Ti EBB SS 4-yrs ago, there were very few options for running discs and SS. There were some slotted dropouts, adapters, etc., but I didn't like any of the options...especially for racing. Then, I noticed the Ibis SingleMalt which used an EBB. I presented the options to Seven and it was a no-brainer. The rest is history.
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)
    http://www.one-speed.com

giddy up!

Having owned a......

...surly and a bike with an ebb, I will tell you that EBB is a dream come true....it has never moved, never creaked, is easy to adjust, doesn't need to be greased all that often, allows the use of a rear QR....etc.etc.etc...

The Kona dropouts are also really nice....I've got a good deal of experience with those as well....they use two bolts per side to secure the dropout in it's track....pretty foolproof system really, if you can find a way to screw it up, there is something really wrong:-)

Quote Originally Posted by SS Jerry
    No Problems on mine. No slippage, No creaking, No need for constant regreasing....Just set and go.

JS
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

mtbr member

I had the EBB, like'd it, now would like some feedback on the Spot type set-up...

I had as well as Keith has the EBB with pinchbolts. Pretty fool proof, never really needed cleaned or regreased, silent!. Mine did slip a bit after a few rides and the chain need to be tightened.

I am courious how the EBB compares horzt dropouts and a slotted disc tab like the spot uses. Anyone have any thought on these two? Pro's/Cons?

KMan

One gear to rule them all
    I have been running my set screw EBB for 6 months or so now without a problem. No creaks, never loosened, easy...set it and forget it.
    I had a DISS with sloted disc tabs and chain tugs, what a pain.
    With the EBB I can get my rear wheel off in seconds.
    The only valid reason I have heard for not using EBB, was if you change gears a bunch, you would have to move your saddle position to match the BB movement. I think it was rockdogger that pointed that one out to me.
    BTW , the EBB on a tandem, tentions the timing chain. The timing chain transfers all the captains torque, back to the stokers crank. Plenty O torque on that chain/EBB.

Quote Originally Posted by Manicmtbr
    Can anyone share their experiences with an EBB? I have considered one for a bit now, but it seems like 1) they creak a lot and need to be regreased often 2) they come loose during a ride and need to be adjusted. I also understand there may more problems with a Bushnell style VS. a slotted shell with pinchbolts.

I am sure there are good stories, but I want to hear some before moving forward with the thoughts in my feeble mind. I am just trying to figure out the best way to set up a disk brake singlespeed, an EBB or a slotted mount like a Surly, Bianchi, or Spot. The Kona Unit scares me a bit and I do not know why. It just seems like those sliding dropouts could be a problem in the future. My original though was that that solution had two bolts instead of one (bolt on wheel), but then I remembered many bolt on wheels are used in conjuction with a chain tug. Any thoughts on that frame would be appreciated as well.

I guess in my mind, an EBB may not be the best solution for a high torque bike like a SS. I guess the original use for an EBB is a tandem and that is for setting up the timing between the two riders, not as chain tension so the torque does not apply.

Todd............. If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague

mtbr member

Slotted Disc tabs...

work great!

I have the Surly 1x1 with the disc tab, no issues at all, just need to carry a 5mm to release the 2 caliper mounts to change a flat. I run big tires and haven't had a flat in over a year while riding so who cares if it takes another nano second to change one.

I just ordered a Spot Frame and tossed this same question around alot. In the end I kept it simple and cheap and went with the slotted tab. The EBB seems really nice/cool and all, but totally not needed, and does add weight. Spot wanted big bucks for the EBB setup, I put that money towards sweet wheels instead! I figure I'll feel the wheels performance gain on every ride.

My .02c

MC

Quote Originally Posted by KMan
    I had as well as Keith has the EBB with pinchbolts. Pretty fool proof, never really needed cleaned or regreased, silent!. Mine did slip a bit after a few rides and the chain need to be tightened.

I am courious how the EBB compares horzt dropouts and a slotted disc tab like the spot uses. Anyone have any thought on these two? Pro's/Cons?

KMan

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I.f. Ebb

My new I.F. EBB single speed has been working well, the BB shell is a Phil Wood design- two set screws to hold the Phil Wood BB in place. The only thing I can add is the fact that you need to use some force on the bolts to hold it tight. I would say it is worth it! No creaking, no regreasing, no slipping, no problems. Go for it.

mtbr member
    I've been running a pinch-bolt EBB for 2 years.. It's never had any problems whatsoever. I greased it when I put it in and I only touch it if I change the gearing (4 times in 2 years). My SS is my primary winter bike here in Wetstern Oregon so it sees lots of grit and grime but I've never had any trouble.

mtbr member

Oh man, I'm started to get excited.......

What about a Ti or Steel soft tail frame with horizontals and a slotted disc tabs?
    I see a new frame in the works....Now I just need to find someone who makes one.

KMan

I think I am liking slotted disc tabs over an EBB more and more, less weight, seems easier with no potential problems.

Quote Originally Posted by MellowCat
    work great!

I have the Surly 1x1 with the disc tab, no issues at all, just need to carry a 5mm to release the 2 caliper mounts to change a flat. I run big tires and haven't had a flat in over a year while riding so who cares if it takes another nano second to change one.

I just ordered a Spot Frame and tossed this same question around alot. In the end I kept it simple and cheap and went with the slotted tab. The EBB seems really nice/cool and all, but totally not needed, and does add weight. Spot wanted big bucks for the EBB setup, I put that money towards sweet wheels instead! I figure I'll feel the wheels performance gain on every ride.

My .02c

MC

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

And this is from a guy . . . . . . . .

that was talking about a $400 singlespeed on Monday afternoon. Now this is the Kman we all know. I had a feeling the other idea would not last long.

Your idea sounds good! I would be online getting phone numbers for all of the custom steel/Ti builders in the area. BTW, Drew at Wiss Cycles has a Ti Moots SS that I think is a softtail.

Quote Originally Posted by KMan
    What about a Ti or Steel soft tail frame with horizontals and a slotted disc tabs?
    I see a new frame in the works....Now I just need to find someone who makes one.

KMan

I think I am liking slotted disc tabs over an EBB more and more, less weight, seems easier with no potential problems.

zeebot
    i've never used EBB but i can give my opinion on the horizontals in the rear on my surly 1x1. I rode them for a few weeks with bolt-on skewers and disc brakes. alignment was easy, etc. a few times during major torque it slipped. doh. i eventually stripped out the bolt-on because it required such heavy tightening to keep everything in place.

on top of all this the keeping the correct chain tension and having the disc aligned was a bit of a pain while on the trail. on a stand...no problem.

this past weekend i bought a surly tuggnut for the driveside and now have no issues with chain tension, can use quick releases and i can open bottles of beer on the trail if necessary

JAK
    mtbr member

If you want disk, EBB if not then...

I'd say go with either. I have both and have never had a creak or anything come from my EBB. My bike with slots has rim brakes and I like it slotted cuz sometimes it ends up fixed, and I flip when I'm fixed, so EBB wouldn't be the way to go when flipFlopping(IMHO).

adios
    Night has fallen.
    And there's nothin' we can do about it.

ali'i hua
    just be careful with the bolt- ive already snapped two of em on my bushnell.

other than that, good product!

Dr. Frost

Ti drops=slips for me but maybe OK for you

Probably this is just user error but I can't get my wheel to stop slipping in my Ti dropouts. Chaintugs have helped but now it's an alignment issue-just can't get the wheel "just right" and straight in any reasonable amount of time. Then getting the chain tension "just right" seems hard. I'm selling and buying a steel ebb rig. 29" wheels too. Everybody says how horizontal drops are simpler and easy but for me it hasn't been easy and the nut shots when they slip, boy, let me tell you....

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fastskiguy
    Probably this is just user error but I can't get my wheel to stop slipping in my Ti dropouts. Chaintugs have helped but now it's an alignment issue-just can't get the wheel "just right" and straight in any reasonable amount of time. Then getting the chain tension "just right" seems hard. I'm selling and buying a steel ebb rig. 29" wheels too. Everybody says how horizontal drops are simpler and easy but for me it hasn't been easy and the nut shots when they slip, boy, let me tell you....
    What kind of hub are you using? There are hubs that have steel serrated edges on the edge of the hub that really bite into the frame and don't slip, e.g., Chris King.

Also, some Ti frames have 6/4 dropouts that are really hard so the hub's ends and bolts can't bite into them. Not much you can do about that except a chaintug.

Team SUMMIT BICYCLES

How much do they weigh?

I'm thinking of a custom ti singlespeed and considering an ebb. Does anyone have weights on these? Is one style lighter than another?
    I want to have short chainstays, maybe sub 16", so horizontal slots would probably put the axle farther back when the tension is taken up. An ebb would obviously give me more control on effective chainstay length.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    another bushnell lover here. no slippage or regreasing of mine, other than after my initial first few rides (getting the feel for how tight it needed to be and so on) in nearly two years.
    pretty minimal weight issue. made my frame maybe a 1/4 pound heavier, if that. i don't even notice it. my frame is still about 3.7 pounds - steel.

if you want to go disc, or change gearing alot, EBB is the way to go. never have to d!ck around with moving the brakes, or lining up the wheel right. drop it in and go.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

JJT
    mtbr member
    Mine is creaking once and a while.

I ride a Ti On One Inbred and the Bushnell EBB needs some new copper grease every few months, May be I'm doing something wrong here?

No problems with loosening during rides.

Mashers Only!!
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowSSer
    just be careful with the bolt- ive already snapped two of em on my bushnell.

other than that, good product!
    Hey man use your LEFT hand to tighten the bolt!!! It seems that your right hand/arm is over developed!!!!!

HUGH

Dr. Frost

Paul Word hub

It has brass (I think) washers. They used to have big knarley teeth on them but they have been flattened. The sharp steel toothed washers would probably work better. I'm not sure what type of alloy is used for the dropouts...maybe it is the hard stuff. Anyway, I've had it. Plus I really want to go with the bigger wheels so it's not the only reason to switch frames. But yeah, harder, grippier washers make a lot of sense, thanks

mtbr member

Go EBB

Quote Originally Posted by Manicmtbr

Why? Because I don't have all day to wait while you jerk around with unbolting calipers, messing with your tug nuts and re-aligning everything. It's a no brainer...you got to have an ebb if you want to ride with me.

Seriously, I think the best advice comes from the folks who have used both styles...most, if not all, say ebb is a better option.

Keith

mtbr member

EBB is great...

...but non-EBB frames with horizontal dropouts and adjustable IS mounts (a la Surly) work well too. If starting from scratch get the EBB. I was able to remove my rear wheel on my 1x1 w/o touching the caliper (using Hope Minis). That said, I still had to use chain tugs as no matter how hard I tightened the bolts on my Paul hub I'd still get drive side slippage. I hate chain tugs. Again, if starting from scratch get the EBB frame.

As for Bushnell vs. pinch bolt, I prefer the Bushnell - just like to think that I'm getting more (and more even) purchase with the Bushnell. Also, don't like the look of the split shell EBB - like the all-inclusive wrap of my Inbred.

That said, the pinch bolt variety is lighter and can be further lightened by folks like Jeff Jones (http://www.jonesbikes.com) who can relieve the pinch bolt style EBB - can't be done on a Bushnell, at least not that I've seen.

Sean
    Professional Amateur. Disagree? Submit your grievances here.

www.justthebonnet.com
    I have a bianchi with horizontal drops and slotted disc tabs, and it is a pain in the arse. Not that its hard to do, its just more involved especially in a race to change a flat. Its either loosen 4 bolts to remove the wheel with horizontal drops, or just open your skewer with an ebb. Once the frame dies, i'm definitely going ebb on a ti frame. I like to change gears and i race all over the northeast so the ebb will be so much easier once all said and done.

Best advice is to try them both before you buy.
    Capt_Phun's Riding Blog:
    http://captphun.blogspot.com/

I better go get my headlamp while I'm sober....ish