mtbr member
    May 2008

Ebb vs eccentric hub vs tensioner

What have you tried, what do you prefer and why?

I'm looking for something that's easy to set up and durable under a lot of torque. I've used chain tensioners in the past which work well for about half a season and then the spring start to loosen. Its cheap but doesnt look as nice aestetically. I'm too concerned about creaking to try EBB and prefer freehubs over freewheels

psycho cyclo addict
    I've used two EBB variants- Gary Fisher (2009 Rig frame setup SS) and Niner v1 EBB (2010 SIR 9 rigid steel SS). Both worked fine for my 195 lbs. of mass and steep geared mashing tendencies. I find that running the chain a bit loose tends to keep creaking to a minimum.

The v2 Niner EBB is supposedly a big improvement though I have no need to go there so far.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I really like the fixed tensioners, like the DMR Simple.

Solid, no chain slap and no spring to die.

You're killing me Smalls!
    Sliders and EBB each have their benefits and drawbacks.

I have been using the Niner EBB v1 for years and works great for me. Proper set up and Oatley's is key to quite & trouble free operation. One drawback is that it changes your pedal to seat position when you change gearing. But, I find I easily adjust the saddle position to fit.

I have had sliders on a few different bikes and they can work great but also can be a bit of a headache. The stock hardware from many manufactures is not always the best and tends to bend, slip or strip under loads. I picked up some upgraded hardware from Ace and it seemed solved the problems. One drawback is that it changes your chainstay length and the bike performance every time you change gearing.
    Marty

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    V2 Niner EBB on my SIR.9. From the off I ran it 100% dry on the advice of charliethebikemonger, here in the UK. Didn't make a sound. Just rebuilt & tried it greased...oh dear. Clikety click click, clicker click click is its new soundtrack, so will be cleaning it out again.
    Previously ran a couple of On-One Inbreds, with sliding dropouts. I actually preferred them to he honest. Ran them with a nutted axle & didn't need a tug.

Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
    Like Marty said with Sliders, most parts are cheap and need better after market replacement. My new bike has good quality parts so I don't need to replace anything. I had EBB on my other bikes and love it, I never had a creaking problem and I find it's the easiest to change gears with but the sliders are easy too, just takes a little more to make sure it's straight.
    To solve most of the problem with EBB (moving seat vs cranks) and sliders chain stay length is to have a couple extra chains at different lengths, use the one best for the gear to try and keep it in the same place as much as possible. this way any changes are very minimal.
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

You're killing me Smalls!
    For Niner EBB set up see page #61 - https://s3.amazonaws.com/NinerDocs/N...RS_UNIVERS.pdf. Oatley's works great!

"Oatey’s Pipe Joint Compound – This Teflon-based paste offers the same
    benefits of Teflon tape but is significantly more durable and the paste consistency
    makes adjustments easier. This paste is inexpensive and readily
    available at hardware stores."
    Marty

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bank5 View Post
    What have you tried, what do you prefer and why?

I'm looking for something that's easy to set up and durable under a lot of torque. I've used chain tensioners in the past which work well for about half a season and then the spring start to loosen. Its cheap but doesnt look as nice aestetically. I'm too concerned about creaking to try EBB and prefer freehubs over freewheels
    Essentially, all bolt-on tensioners I've tried are finicky and/or just garbage. They are truly a band-aid fix.

Ecc hub's are pretty cool, but with disc brakes, I've heard issues with alignment. Never tried those, although if I had a standard canti-posted, non-PF/BB30 frame I really liked, I would give it a go.

I would definitely prefer the EBB option. Not only in this scenario, but overall. Simple to adjust, clean lines, no centering wheel issue (although any competent person can do it on any tensioning system. Just talking about the OCD people). Everyone has their preferences, and mine is EBB.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Ebb vs eccentric hub vs tensioner

Sliders work great, but track ends work just as well for me and seem bomb proof with tug nut.

hispanic mechanic
    I've been using the BEER EBB on my Cannondale Flash for about 2 months. The only issue came about 85 miles into the High Cascades 100. It was ridiculously dusty, and I developed an occasional, very minor creak when really giving it the business. Really well made, and opens up the world of BB- and PF30 bikes to single speeding.

Los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sslos View Post
    I've been using the BEER EBB on my Cannondale Flash for about 2 months. The only issue came about 85 miles into the High Cascades 100. It was ridiculously dusty, and I developed an occasional, very minor creak when really giving it the business. Really well made, and opens up the world of BB- and PF30 bikes to single speeding.

Los
    OT: No more N9?

hispanic mechanic
    Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    OT: No more N9?
    Long story, but the v2 wasn't what I need.

Back on topic (relevant to this post, however I've used sliders on 2 bikes including the Nimble 9, a traditional EBB in a GF Rig, and a White Industries Eno Eccentric hub. I had zero problems with the sliders, major creaking and slipping with the Rig's EBB, and found the WI Eno too fiddly when fixing flats.

Los

Los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

mtbr member
    I have two (well, three if you include my wife's) Singular Hummingbirds with the Phil Wood set-screw type EBB and I've had zero problems with them over the past three years.
    No creaking, no slipping and quick and easy to adjust.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    Sliders work great, but track ends work just as well for me and seem bomb proof with tug nut.
    Track ends are my favorite method. They're just dead simple and time tested.

puts the FU in fun
    I had an EBB on my Cannondale that I couldn't seem to keep from slipping, but truth be told it probably wasn't the best bottom bracket and I didn't own the bike for long enough to make a fair assessment; lots of people have great luck with them.

My Misfit has sliders and they seem to work fine. Not as easy to adjust as some higher-end sliders, but they don't slip and I've had no issues yet...
    Everything in moderation. Including moderation.

PeT
    Occasionally engaged…
    Tried two different makes of the expanding/clam-shell style EBB and they were miserable (in same frame, so maybe the frame's fault). Had the frame converted to a split-shell style EBB (custom frame I didn't want to give up on) and put in a Phil Wood EBB insert and it has been great. Also have used ENO eccentric hubs extensively on several other bikes and they're great. If you take time learning how the ENO hubs set up, you can easily retention the chain trailside without a cone wrench (just the weight of the bike). But I hardly get flats anymore with tubeless, so that's not even an issue. I prefer the ENO hub if you're happy with a given cog size (WI freewheel).
    "The plural of anecdote is not data." -- Attributed to various people in a variety of forms, but always worth remembering...

mtbr member

Re: Ebb vs eccentric hub vs tensioner

The eccentric ENO hub is a work of art. If you don't need a rear disc brake, being able to switch between fixed and free is nice.

If I was building a custom frame think I'd stay with track ends, but would be willing to try sliders/rockers on the right frame. Have enough bb issues without adjusting chain tension down there.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.