Thread: EBB issues

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

EBB issues

My EBB has developed a slight noise and i want to remove and regrease. I've done it in the past, but it has always been a major PITA. It is the 2 wedge style and while the driver side wedge will loosen up no problem the other always gets stuck. In the past I've had to beat on it and/or overtighten the BB until the EBB brakes loose. Ideally I would put something through the bolt hole to "pop" the wedge out. Any ideas?

Here are a couple pics of the stuck wedge

AZ
    banned
    I use a drift punch through the anchor bolt hole. It has to be a bit larger in diameter than the bolt so it does not damage the threads.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    I use a drift punch through the anchor bolt hole. It has to be a bit larger in diameter than the bolt so it does not damage the threads.
    This is what I'd like to do, but I can't get anything bigger than the hole through the other wedge. The wedge that is stuck has the bolt hole, but doesn't have any threads. The other wedge has the threads, so anything smaller than the threads will just poke through the bolt hole on the other side.

mtbr member
    Thread the bolt back in about halfway and give it a good tap with a rubber mallet or something that won't damage it. That'll knock out the other side, then use the drift punch from the other end for the remaining wedge.
    I had to do this on my 9r EBB last night because the CarboGrip I used did such a good job.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    That's how I got the first side out, but unfortunately the wedges are held in with pins. Once one side is loosened I can't remove it until I pull the whole EBB out.