Thread: EBB help...

DSR
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003

EBB help...

So I went to tension up my chain after a couple of short rides on the new rig (not Rig!) and my EBB (new Bushnell) flat out won't budge. I can back out the wedge bolt no problem, but the EBB just won't rotate at all. I banged on it with a rubber mallet. I levered on it with a wrench in one of the side holes. Nothing! After backing that wedge bolt all the way out, should the "seams" in the EBB noticeably spread out? Because those seams don't seem to open/tighten as I loosen/tighten the bolt. When the frame got powdercoated, some paint got in the shell, but it was mostly filed out and obviously had enough room to get the EBB in there and tensioned the first time. Any ideas on what the problem may be? Solution? Tricks? Thanks! S

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Did you bang on the EBB with the mallet or did you tap the wedge? Try this: after making sure the wedge bolt is backed out, tap on the allen to loosen the wedge.

DSR
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Yeah, I just banged away on the side of my crank. I'll try tapping on the allen. Tap I assume, not bang right? Thanks, S

DSR
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Hmmm... tried tapping on the bolt via the allen and no luck.

Should those "seams" in the outershell open up a bit when I loosen the bolt. I guess it shouldn't. The shell doesn't expand, right, just the wedge bolts, correct? S

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DSR
    Hmmm... tried tapping on the bolt via the allen and no luck.

Should those "seams" in the outershell open up a bit when I loosen the bolt. I guess it shouldn't. The shell doesn't expand, right, just the wedge bolts, correct? S
    Maybe try a harder tap. Maybe a nice whack.

The wedges (red arrows) will spread open or close down at the pivot point (blue arrows). When the eccentric is tight, there will be a gap between the wedges and the main body of the eccentric. If the eccentric is loose there won't be a gap. Maybe try a tap/whack on each both the left and right side of the wedge bolt.
    Last edited by ssmike; 08-19-2006 at 07:45 AM.

DSR
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Well, I don't know. That seam or gap where you have the blue arrow is all closed up and there's definitely a slight gap between the wedge and the frame/BB shell so it seems that the bolt is properly positioned, but that something else (scraped up PC paint?) is keeping the EBB from moving within the shell. Frustrating...

ssmike - Thanks for the help! I'll keep playing with it. S

King Pin

Wink Try this!

My Ti bike has a Bushnell EBB.

Back the bolt out from "tight" to "loose"......you're still NOT there!!!!!! Backing the bolt out some more will find a tight spot again.....

Back it out some more......you'll find the sweet spot where she'll turn free. Doesn't take a mallet, just a little more loosening...!!

Try it!

DSR
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Ok, I'll try loosening a bit more. I'm a little wary though because I've heard you can strip that bolt. Where should the bolt head be when it's fully backed out? Thanks again all! S

King Pin

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by DSR
    Ok, I'll try loosening a bit more. I'm a little wary though because I've heard you can strip that bolt. Where should the bolt head be when it's fully backed out? Thanks again all! S

Just loosen' the bolt up some more......

How ya gonna strip a bolt head by "loosening" it?????

Just loosen that bolt up 'til the EBB is "loose".....you'll know it!! I will admit to feeling an odd feeling the first time I adjusted my Bushnell......

DO IT!!!!! And please thank me later........

DSR
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    The bolt is backed out so the bolt head is basically flush with the outer EBB shell so I don't think it'll back out or loosen any further than that. And there's a thin gap between the EBB and the BB shell which you'd think would be enough to allow it to rotate. Ugh. Thanks again for the advice though. S

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Whip it out and back it off while it's out.
    A pin spanner will help rotating it. Also slathering in copper slip helps stop creaking and keeps it free to move.
    Read this for FAQ on EBBs
    http://www.shitshifter.com/inbred/faq.jsp#Q12

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Also does this help.
    Last time I serviced mine I took a load of pictures of it.
    http://www.hunkymalecyclist.com/repairs/ebb/ebb.htm

DSR
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    TomL - Thanks for the links and pics. That coppa stuff looks like it'll do the trick! First I just gotta get the EBB out. Frustrating though that I'm having this issue right off the bat though. Understandable if I had neglected it for two years. Anyway, it's going over to Walt's to have a look-see. My guess is that it's fine and I'm just brain-dead on this one. Wouldn't be the first time. Thanks again, S

mtbr member
    May 2004

new bushnell in a 'dale 1FG

hey ppl,
    does anyone know if the new bushnell ebb fits in the 1FG??? or if there is another ebb that i can use, the 'dale one seems to be more hassle than others!!!
    cheers nick
    You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel!!!

mtbr member

Q for TomL

Quote Originally Posted by TomL
    Whip it out and back it off while it's out.
    A pin spanner will help rotating it. Also slathering in copper slip helps stop creaking and keeps it free to move.
    Read this for FAQ on EBBs
    http://www.shitshifter.com/inbred/faq.jsp#Q12
    TomL,
    Where can you get Copper Slip (hardware store)? and can anti-seize be used too, which is better?
    thanks~~

Cracker-magnon
    Try an autoparts store. They should have a variety of aluminum and copper based anti-sieze. Copper Slip is just a type of anti-sieze. Any of which should work fine
    [SIZE=2]"Life is a F@#^ing story problem, get used to it - my son.[/SIZE]

DSR
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    FIXED!!! Walt blasted it with some moto anti-sieze stuff and shazam, it's all good! So, now I'm gonna search on advice for what to grease it with. Walt set it up with nothing since that's how several had requested it from him. Mine siezed up though pretty darn quick. Anyway, that Copper Slip stuff looks like it would keep things free and moving for quite some time. Thanks again all. S

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    The Dale one is a Bushnell I thought.
    Not very hard to set up. Read Andy's FAQ I posted earlier on www.shitshifter.com