Thread: EBB help

mtbr member

New question here. EBB help

Where is the best place to buy an EBB? What's the ballpark cost? I understand some machining will have to be done to my existing frame. What is the procedure?

I'm wrestling with trying to find a horizintal DO frame (cheap) or sink the dough into an EBB.

Thanks for the help

Probably drunk right now

I don't understand....

Quote Originally Posted by 2big2ride
    Where is the best place to buy an EBB? What's the ballpark cost? I understand some machining will have to be done to my existing frame. What is the procedure?

I'm wrestling with trying to find a horizintal DO frame (cheap) or sink the dough into an EBB.

Thanks for the help
    Are you trying to convert an existing bike to a SS, or are you planning on purchasing a bike specifically for SSing?

I would not advise converting an existing bike to use an EBB. If you're planning on purchasing a frame specifically for SS, I would suggest the Horizontal DO's first to determine if SSing is even something you like, and then upgrade at some point in the future, if you find you like one gear.

Again, I'm not sure I understand your question. the answer to your first and direct question is: At your local bike shop.

Ken
    JPark - 3.5- don't listen to dremer

Your bike sucks

Actual help

Quote Originally Posted by 2big2ride

Thanks for the help
    5 easy choices:

1) buy a horizontal drop out frame brandy new
    2) convert your existing frame by a) having track ends welded on OR b) having your existing BB shell cut out and a EBB shell welded in - both require en experienced frame builder - VultureCycles.com does it for around $100-$150 (I think)
    3) get the ENO eccentric hub and tension the chain that way
    4) use existing frame and find an acceptable gear combo that allows you to run a proper tension w/out a tensioner
    5) use existing frame and get a SS specific chain tensioner such as the melvin and singulator

blame me for missed rides
    go ebb. you can easily switch between geared and SS if you want to and you can use your good ol' QR hub as well. if you are doing an EBB conversion you'll need to cut off your BB shell and a bit of your chainstays+seattube+downtube, then weld the EBB shell in. imo best way is to leave it to a frame builder (unless of course you are a welder yourself). this costs between 100-200 depending on who's doing it.