Thread: EBB & Clyde

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

EBB & Clyde

If there is one thing I can not stand it is a vreaky bicycle. I just had to disassemble my full suspension bike, swingarm and all, and clean/regrease everything to get rid of a creak. The second thing I hate is a high-maintenance bike. I just want to ride and ride silently. The only sound I can deal with is a loud hub, but the better engagement is worth it to me.

All of that being said, has anyone else experienced any issues with a creaky and/or slippy ebb. I will tell you that the bike I am most interested in right now is a Ventana El Comandante. I am working on a 29" single-speed build and really really like the look of this bike.

I am looking for input with this. Thanks in advance.

I have red hair
    I have a two year old Raleigh XXIX, and my EBB has never creaked on me, I always make sure it's nice and snug before I ride, so that might help.

SS XC Junkie
    I'm riding a Haro Mary with an EBB. No problems with creaking at all. I think the EBB is easier to adjust than the sliding drop outs w/ chain tensioners. I haven't had to replace the BB so I can't comment on that. Adjusting the chain is VERY easy and it has never come loose on me.

meatier showers
    larryo -- IMO it's the type of EBB, not the brand of frame, that most dictates the likelihood of creaking. Any type of EBB (wedge, set screw, split shell) can creak or run perfectly silent, but after cruising these forums for years I can say that the former two suffer more problems than the latter.

If the shell is not perfectly round there will be problems, so quality can vary frame-to-frame even from the same manufacturer, depending on things like how hot the shell got when tubes were welded.

Split shell BBs snug around the eccentric in the same way a stem clamps to a steerer, so there is 100% contact between the shell and eccentric, unlike a set screw system which simply tries to push the eccentric into a corner of the shell -- a class B fit IMO.

Wedge types are hit or miss (there are several mfgrs), more good than bad, but some are better than others and shell shape still comes into play.

Split shells seem to be the most forgiving type, but unfortunately also seem to be the least common type of eccentric BB. Too bad. They are superior IMO.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Would I be right if I said that the Ventana El Comandante and the Salsa Selma use the wedge type of EBB? I believe they are both Bushnell, which I believe is just a manufacturer of a wedge type EBB. Am I right with all of this?

meatier showers
    I haven't done any research on either of the frames you mentioned, but yes, Bushnell is a manufacturer of wedge eccentrics. Just grease the hell out of everything when you install it. The biggest complaint I've heard regarding wedgies is they can "stick" when you go to loosen them. Anti-seize or waterproof grease (if there really is such a thing) is a critical component.

I liberally apply anti-seize to my EBB every year or two. It has never creaked nor slipped.

I feel bad for guys with noisy EBBs. It seems that some frames are destined to suffer the dreaded creak no matter what. I think the manufacturing process is key.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas