Thread: Dropper post

mtbr member

Dropper post

I have two . I love them. Should I put gone on my rigidSS.

Have you ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    If I could find one in the right diameter I would seriously consider it. Altered my route to not do the big drops that I do on my FS today.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Dropper post

It seems to me it would be more important to have one on a rigid bike if you don't care about weight.
    I have one on my Hardtail and my full suspension bike but I can't bring myself to adding that much weight to the rigid single speed.

western NC
    I have one on my main SS, but not on the SS fattie. I don't ride rigid however, other than the fattie.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBMILES View Post
    It seems to me it would be more important to have one on a rigid bike if you don't care about weight.
    I have one on my Hardtail and my full suspension bike but I can't bring myself to adding that much weight to the rigid single speed.
    I've got one on a rigid singlespeed - it doesn't add a lot of weight, but then I'm not bothered about a few grams here and there. I'm hardly featherweight at 70kgs anyway.

mtbr member
    I love it on my full sus bike. I've now been in enough situations with my rigid SS that I could justify one

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Thought about adding one to my new build but then again it would be just one more thing to maintenance and possible fail someday. I like single speed for its simplicity and lack of moving parts (I am going rigid). Why complicate it with a dropper. Now later on I may change my mind. If I do I will let you all know............
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/SW.Iowa.MTB/

Rad! The pain is just reminding you you're alive! Embrace it and push on.

western NC
    ^^Go all mechanical and they're pretty much bombproof, and serviceable on the trail with nothing but a multi tool if needed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I'm so into how simple and minimal my Kona Unit is, I'm still struggling with whether or not to put a QR seat post lever on it

mtbr member
    May 2014
    How many mechanical droppers are offered for a 27.2? Thats what I would need. I am not thrilled about the high price of a lot of them either. The only one in a 27.2 offering that I could have seen spending money on was by X Fusion and it was hydraulic I believe.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/SW.Iowa.MTB/

Rad! The pain is just reminding you you're alive! Embrace it and push on.

mtbr member
    I use gravity dropper turbo . 27.2. Mechanical. 3 position. I did remove the boot . No worries. On my big bike I have one that's a little more than 2 yrs. out of all the people I ride with , it's the only post that has had no failure. That said . I wonder how long a drop post would last on a rigid SS. At least on a full sus. bike much stress is taken away from the post. If you have deep pockets , or a fine sugar momma , Thompson makes a 27.2 also.

western NC
    Quote Originally Posted by iowamtb View Post
    How many mechanical droppers are offered for a 27.2? Thats what I would need. I am not thrilled about the high price of a lot of them either. The only one in a 27.2 offering that I could have seen spending money on was by X Fusion and it was hydraulic I believe.
    Gravity dropper, RSP, T mars.

mtbr member
    Also I've met riders with the specialized command post. It's just like the gravity dropper. And comes in 27.2. It gets decent reviews , and those I met with one have reported no major issues.
    I have on the other hand noticed all drop posts have minor niggles or flat out terrible problems. Every hydraulic fails. Often. At least the ones I've met. All mech posts develop a tiny bit of play somewhere. Cable routing. Levers. Bleeding. It all does seem to kill the SS simplicity.

western NC
    All dropper posts have a tiny bit of play period, not just mechanical posts. But it's a tiny amount, and you'll never notice it while riding. I like having the option if I need it, but YMMV.

mtbr member
    Totally agree. The advantage you get far outweighs the niggles. Though I've seen so many hydros fail in the field. Eventually though all drop posts will be totally reliable. For now I'll stick with a mech post.
    Looks like I convinced my self to put one on my SS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbyke View Post
    I use gravity dropper turbo . 27.2. Mechanical. 3 position. I did remove the boot . No worries. On my big bike I have one that's a little more than 2 yrs. out of all the people I ride with , it's the only post that has had no failure. That said . I wonder how long a drop post would last on a rigid SS.
    As long as on a hardtail - I've a Gravity Dropper on my Genesis Alpitude and it's been fine for the last three years with just regular maintenance.
    Actually, on a singlespeed they probably have an even easier life as you spend more time out of the saddle - I've got a KS i7 on my rigid singlespeed and it's been ok for a couple of years at least.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by iowamtb View Post
    Thought about adding one to my new build but then again it would be just one more thing to maintenance and possible fail someday. I like single speed for its simplicity and lack of moving parts (I am going rigid). Why complicate it with a dropper. Now later on I may change my mind. If I do I will let you all know............
    This was my exact logic. One of the things I love about SS is simplicity. Then I got used to riding with a dropper on the trail bike. Now I find myself really missing it on the SS. I squirrel tapped myself yesterday on a jump because I didn't have one. That pretty much decided it for me.

Category Winner
    Yes.

Do it.

Now.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Dh5Jkh8NpjE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004

Dropper post

Quote Originally Posted by mattbyke View Post
    Also I've met riders with the specialized command post. It's just like the gravity dropper. And comes in 27.2. It gets decent reviews , and those I met with one have reported no major issues.
    Only the Command Post XCP comes in 27.2 and it drops 35mm only.
    The Thomson is way cheaper too.

I would love a normal Blacklight in 27.2

El Gallo also do a 27.2 post.