mtbr member
    Dec 2016

is this dropout sloppy workmanship

I am fairly certain that this bike I bought a few months ago was poorly made at the dropouts and the wheel did not seem to go straight.

if you look at the inside of the axel you will see a small space in there which I think is not supposed to be there.

this was a bikes direct steel bike and I'm afraid it was also very soft steel.

has any one of you had a steel bike that is so ductile that it's like you can mash the steel with your thumb?.

can anyone tell if the frame is poorly made from looking at this picture?.

would have been interesting to see if the bike shop would have gotten a horrible alignment measurement if he checked it.

fairly sure it would have been way off

hope that my next BD bike the aluminum gravity 29er SS will be better than this thing.

how much should I spend at BD to get something that will probably be acceptable quality.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxU...w?usp=drivesdk

mtbr member
    It looks to either be poorly made, or damaged while the rear wheel was out of it. Were there any marks or visible signs of damage? If not, it may have been tweaked before it was painted. The good news is that it's steel and can be straightened.
    One gear is all you need.

Cycologist
    Is that the wheel that came with the bike? Did you buy it new? What does the other dropout look like? It kind of looks like a wheel with smaller spacing was put into the frame and the bolts were cranked down, bending the frame in. Everything looks awfully clean and shiny, where is the chain? As chuck mentioned, that's a nice thing about steel frames, they can be cold set, LBS should be able to fix it.

If that is how you received it from BD I would hesitate to buy another bike from them. But I would contact them and give them the chance to make it right, though that should have been done when you received it. Good luck.
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1) Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    Is that the wheel that came with the bike? Did you buy it new? What does the other dropout look like? It kind of looks like a wheel with smaller spacing was put into the frame and the bolts were cranked down, bending the frame in.
    I agree that it looks like the wheel that's on there has the wrong axle spacing but I think the dropout was probably already bent. Easily remedied by any good shop.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Yeah that looks like a track wheel spacing in an mtb frame
    ROS9+ SS
    ROS9 SS
    GT Peace 9R SS

mtbr member
    I don't want to come across wrong, but that sort of thing is what you get in cheap bikes.

The good news is it is steel and it will straighten quite easily with no detrimental effect on the bike.

It's called cold setting, and was one of the quiet secrets of steel bike making. Many a frame had to be persuaded into shape. I hasten to add the custom bike builders use accurate jigs, and put the time in (costs money) to make sure this isn't necessary,

Even good quality mass produced steel bikes sometimes had problems like that, the difference is the QC (costs money) found it and fixed it, or if it was due to damage in transit, the lbs sorted it before the customer saw it. (I worked in a bike shop that also made frames when I was kid, back in the days of lugged steel bikes, and we had some brutal tools to correct the occasional alignment problems).

As the others have said it does look like it may be axle spacing, and probably clamping down a too short axle is what bent the dropout, so it's worth checking the wheel for missing spacers.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    What's the distance between the dropouts?
    Should be 130mm.

mtbr member
    That looks lie a track hub, which shold have an OLD width of 120mm

Road spacing would be 130mm
    Mtb spacing is 135mm

What frame is that? It looks to me that you squished a frame that was designed for a different width.
    Last edited by mack_turtle; 08-31-2017 at 10:02 AM.
    Thorn in your Sidewall
    Vassago Jabberwocky

mtbr member
    Crap, I missed the axle width part of the equation. These guys are right.
    One gear is all you need.

Cycologist
    Where's the OP? We need some more info on this!

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Ok this bike is in fact a road bike.
    Chromoly frame and the wheel was not forced in, it fit really well and is not tight at all in the picture you see. that dropout is shaped that way with the wheel off

mtbr member
    What frame is that? The fact that you won't offer those specifics makes me feel like you have some sort of agenda that will be shattered if you give that information out.
    Last edited by mack_turtle; 08-31-2017 at 12:18 PM.
    Thorn in your Sidewall
    Vassago Jabberwocky

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    What frame is that? The fact that you won't offer those specifics makes me feel like you have some sort of agenda that will be shattered if you give that information out.
    it's the Dawes sst steel frame more specifically it is the Streetfighter bike.

like what do you think I'm doing that I wouldn't want you to know about?.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by bykesick View Post
    it's the Dawes sst steel frame more specifically it is the Streetfighter bike.

like what do you think I'm doing that I wouldn't want you to know about?.
    You haven't answered my questions in post #3.

Did you buy the bike new?
    Is that the wheel it came with?
    Why is there no chain and why does everything look so clean?

Not trying to hassle you, I have never done business with BD but I'm surprised they would ship a bike like that.

Did you not notice the problem when you received it?
    Could it have been damaged in shipping?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bykesick View Post
    Ok this bike is in fact a road bike.
    Chromoly frame and the wheel was not forced in, it fit really well and is not tight at all in the picture you see. that dropout is shaped that way with the wheel off
    I wouldn't consider that anything even close to a good fit but I understand that the spacing is close enough that the wheel doesn't need to be forced in.

The dropout is bent, of that there is no doubt but also either the axle or rear dropout spacing is wrong. After the dropout is correctly aligned the spacing will be too wide for the hub. Either way it can be corrected fairly easily and though it does kind of suck it really isn't that big of a deal, and the frame won't be compromised. I'd either send it back or pay a shop to make it right.

Also not terribly uncommon.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    I have seen a few threads like this over the years. in the end it does not matter what a bunch of strangers on a forum think. contact the retailer and ask them to help you deal with it.

without seeing the bike in person, or at least seeing more photos for scale, no one can tell you what's going on with the bike. the only theory anyone is going to give you from that photo is that it looks like a too-narrow hub into a frame with wider dropouts. beyond that, it's just a wild guess without more context.
    Thorn in your Sidewall
    Vassago Jabberwocky

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    I have seen a few threads like this over the years. in the end it does not matter what a bunch of strangers on a forum think. contact the retailer and ask them to help you deal with it.

without seeing the bike in person, or at least seeing more photos for scale, no one can tell you what's going on with the bike. the only theory anyone is going to give you from that photo is that it looks like a too-narrow hub into a frame with wider dropouts. beyond that, it's just a wild guess without more context.
    Not that wild of a guess, either way if the hub is too narrow or the frame is too wide the dropout is still requires straightening and both the hub and dropout spacing needs to be checked and adjusted as needed.

I agree that sending it back might well be the best option but any decent shop should be able to fix it too. I'd sometimes get bikes shipped in similar condition and usually they just got repaired rather than hassle with a return.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Cycologist
    BD does call it a track bike, lists a 108mm bottom bracket. $169.95 with free shipping, claimed weight of 21.5 lbs. 46x16, freewheel - does not include a fixed cog but it is a flip/flop.

And they haven't updated their website since the last time I visited, many years ago.