mtbr member
    Jan 2004

drop bars, alarmed children, the nobel prize, and the internet as the devil

so, today i loaded my drop bar SS with newly wrapped bars featuring the walgreens gel insoles under some bontrager tape into my ultra-ratty nissan truck and brought the 7th grade daughter to school before a swet 6 hr SS ride.

along the way, i explain to her my genius plan for my drop bar padding - the walgreens insoles - and express the belief that this idea may well win my the nobel prize for advancement of the human condition.

"well", she sez " that might be, except for the fact that you are the only person in the world . . . . er. . . . . . . . . . dumb enuf to enjoy riding a SS mtn bike with drop bars, father".

" o - HO !!! " i reply. " not so, miss know it all. it so happens that i comminucate regularly with a whole forum full of dudes on the internet who ALSO ride SS's with drop handlebars"

the child fixed me a steely gaze, and said " oh my gawwwwwd ".

anyway, if you really are out there, the new gel insole cut and wrapped padding on the drops worked most superbel-y. it was much like the time honoured bizness of a piece of foam grip split lengthwise - only far better in every way. i suggest you go down to walgreens and get some. you will dig it the most, as john travolta once said.

i rode for 6 hrs, and did not take a break to go see scoutdog end it all. hope he bounced after he threw himself off the roof. then again, he is so skinny i bet dude falls like a goldang pine needle, anyways.

WORS starts this weekend, anybody going ?

meatier showers

Good story

Quote Originally Posted by mon t
    " o - HO !!! " i reply. " not so, miss know it all. it so happens that i comminucate regularly with a whole forum full of dudes on the internet who ALSO ride SS's with drop handlebars"

the child fixed me a steely gaze, and said " oh my gawwwwwd ".
    Good story my friend, but seriously, let's be honest about this. In spite of the fact that I ride weekly with two SSers who've ridden drop bars off-road for the past 18-20 years, your daughter is right. It is actually quite a silly thing to do.

Thank God we live in a country where we are free to do whatever silly thing we choose, so long as it hurts no one else.

So run what ya brung and stay happy, believing whatever you choose to believe. Personally, I'll do the same. No flame intended.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member

insoles

Quote Originally Posted by mon t

WORS starts this weekend, anybody going ?
    so you can also use the insoles to make a good gnome soup. mmmmm...mmmm!

No WORS for me on Sunday. The little bambino(a) could be born any day. Instead, I will do a long ride.

E

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Hey Sparty, no kidding.
    I'm sure one of those special friends is Shiggy.
    Aside from the "silly" bars.. please encourage our friend to put some heavier springs/more air in his suspension fork!
    I'm pretty sure the fork shouldn't bottom out climbing a fire road as it bobs through it's travel.
    I mean come on, there's plush...then there's downright drippy!
    But man! Are his cranks long!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Good story my friend, but seriously, let's be honest about this. In spite of the fact that I ride weekly with two SSers who've ridden drop bars off-road for the past 18-20 years, your daughter is right. It is actually quite a silly thing to do.

Thank God we live in a country where we are free to do whatever silly thing we choose, so long as it hurts no one else.

So run what ya brung and stay happy, believing whatever you choose to believe. Personally, I'll do the same. No flame intended.

--Sparty

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    ...Shiggy. But man! Are his cranks long!
    You really think so? Heck, the cranks on my two singlespeeds are 5mm longer (Carambas) and 12mm longer (Boones) than shig's measly 190mm Profiles.

But that's only because my legs are longer than shig's. The truth is there is an optimum crank length which shouldn't be exceeded; of course I'm not telling you anything you don't already know.

As for shig's plush fork, I dunno about that... I'll have to quiz the boy. Maybe he was in such a hurry to catch up with y'all (since he showed up late for the ride) that he didn't have time to air his fork up. Ya mean he wasn't riding his rigid fork? Another thing that amazes me about shig's weird riding habits is how he can run hideously low tire pressures yet rarely pinch flat. And he doesn't even use tubless wheels/tires.

Hey Padre, I enjoyed seeing the photos of that pre-Otter group ride. In fact they made me jealous that I couldn't get to S.O. this year and join the fun. You and your uh, pretty-darned-attractive bride look and sound like a couple of fun people who have plenty of talent aboard your two-wheelers. Maybe next year I'll get the chance to meet ya's. Hope so.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    Hey Sparty, no kidding.
    I'm sure one of those special friends is Shiggy.
    Aside from the "silly" bars.. please encourage our friend to put some heavier springs/more air in his suspension fork!
    I'm pretty sure the fork shouldn't bottom out climbing a fire road as it bobs through it's travel.
    I mean come on, there's plush...then there's downright drippy!
    But man! Are his cranks long!
    Plush is good! I am already running 40 psi when 28 gives me the sag I should have. I probably need to raise the oil level. I may use more than half the travel when "bobbing" up the climbs but I do not bottom it on the big hits. Maybe that is why I could run under 20 psi at the Demo Forest ride without flatting.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Wors

I may be at WORS sunday, it depends upon how much school work I can get done before hand (stupid school). i'm thinking about riding my SS in the Clyde categorie and go from there.

Question: What gear are you running for the WORS races? I have 36:17 now and I'm going to give that a try.

Maybe I'll see you there, I ride a converted frame spray-painted black with a surly rigid fork.

Winky

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Man!
    You guys and those cranks!
    I stand 6'6" tall w/ almost a 40" inseam....and find that my 180mm cranks are PLENTY long. If my leg made any bigger of a circle, I can't see how that it could be efficient. Anyhoo...must be the clean air up there.
    Shiggy knows his equipment pretty well, he seems to be in tune w/ his pressure like some genie or something.
    Regarding attractive brides...you'll note I borrowed (stole) the term "trophy-wife" from you for her. Seems to be working well. I've been giving you credit whenever it's used. It's like a copyright thing...
    hope to make it to a Barbie Camp someday before we die.
    Meeting would be great!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    You really think so? Heck, the cranks on my two singlespeeds are 5mm longer (Carambas) and 12mm longer (Boones) than shig's measly 190mm Profiles. Another thing that amazes me about shig's weird riding habits is how he can run hideously low tire pressures yet rarely pinch flat. And he doesn't even use tubless wheels/tires.Hey Padre, I enjoyed seeing the photos of that pre-Otter group ride. In fact they made me jealous that I couldn't get to S.O. this year and join the fun. You and your uh, pretty-darned-attractive bride look and sound like a couple of fun people who have plenty of talent aboard your two-wheelers. Maybe next year I'll get the chance to meet ya's. Hope so. --Sparty