mtbr member

Drivetrain Build Sheet

Hello,
    I demoed a GT Peace earlier this year when my Yeti was out of commision and now I'm looking to convert my old Kona, fairly inexpensivly, to a SS over the winter. I'm trying to figure out what my options are, the frame has a standard BB shell and regular geared droped outs. The rear wheel will have an XT hub and I will also be putting an XT crankset on which will need a new ring and bash guard.

Other than the fact that GT was rigid, I liked - I thought the gear ratio worked really well for me.

So, with that said, here are my questions:
    1) First and foremost, what is a good ratio and what is the best hoop selection to get to that ratio?

2) What is a good tensioner? I was looking at the Surly, but it seems to have mixed reviews...

3) Should I go with a spacer kit or can I replace my freehub? Which it the way to go?

Anyway, thanks for the help. Hopefully this hasn't been beaten to death in the past, I did a quick search through the past month and didn't turn up alot.

Anthony

AZ
    banned
    Check the FAQ's at the top right of the page , answers to all your ?'s .

mtbr member
    Err... I'm feeling awfull illiterate after looking through the stickies - which one is the FAQ, I see 3? One is "Gnomefest" - some of the pics are pretty funny in that one; the next is "Why Singlespeed" - I really liked the pic with the all the dials and then the single switch, thats cute; the last is "A singlespeeders story" - I have no issues reading a FAQ, I just don't see it...

mtbr member
    http://www.mtbr.com/ssfaqcrx.aspx

It is on the upper right hand part of the page, it's not in the stickies.

Good luck!
    It's only funny until someone gets hurt, and then it's hilarious.
    --Bill Hicks

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I have a raleigh 29er meant for geared use (vert drop out and standard BB shell).

I've been using a product called the ekzentriker, made by a German company called trick stuff. It's an external, eccentric bottom bracket that fits in a standard shell, it doesn't give as much "throw" (range of motion) as a standard EBB, but it's more than enough to get your chain tension right... especially if you use a half-link to dial it in just right.

I have used it for about a month and I love it. It lets me use the standard frame in a SS without a tensioner, keeping that clean-simple operations that is part of the draw of singlespeed.

Members who have read this thread: 0